This looks neat! A rocket powered helicopter

permison

http://dvice.com/archives/2010/03/dragonfly-perso.php

Dragonfly personal rocket copter: available this year?

Put small rocket engines on the tips of a helicopter rotor, and you have the makings of Dragonfly DF1, a rocket-powered helicopter that might be for sale sometime this year. Although it reminds us of some of those early Fail videos of flying machines, rocket copters are supposed to be surprisingly easy to fly, with less vibration and improved stability.

Those hydrogen peroxide-powered rocket motors power this ultralight craft, and they're built by jetpack maker Tecaeromex. Thanks to the voluminous fuel tanks surrounding the pilot, the helicopter's non-burning hydrogen peroxide thrusters can power the craft for 50 minutes at 40mph.

Will the Tucson-based company Swisscopters US get this baby off the ground? It's off to a good start, already completing test flights and obtaining airworthy certificates last November. Here's a video of this rocket copter in action:

Ok, so they built something that Hiller built and flew around 50 years ago, when he built his ramjet tip mounted helicopter. I watched it fly back about 4 years ago at the Hiller airshow.

Other than being able to surround yourself with H2O2, (which is what the Germans used as rocket fuel for the V series rockets in WWII)...how exactly is this fun....or safe, or practical?

Goldy

It looks exactly like the Tipjet Hiller, right down to the bit where the pilot is sitting on a tank of pressurized rocketfuel, that is then set alight 10ft from his head, creating an amazing amount of smoke and noise.

Something tells me that this is not the helicopter technology of the future.

BUT the video did sort of provide an interesting look at the airflow around a helicopter's main rotor around the 0:43 second mark

There is a video of the Hiller doing maneuvers and hovering, and it is the best visualization of airflow around the rotordisc I have seen (a lot more smoke than in the Dragonfly video).

I saw it at a Bell safety presentation, but haven't been able to find it on the net anywhere. If anyone out there has a copy, please speak up!

There is a video of the Hiller doing maneuvers and hovering, and it is the best visualization of airflow around the rotordisc I have seen (a lot more smoke than in the Dragonfly video).

I saw it at a Bell safety presentation, but haven't been able to find it on the net anywhere. If anyone out there has a copy, please speak up!

Yup, it's a great video, but a large file (96mb).

I grabbed a copy from the Bell instructor, and have been showing it ever since.

Drop me a line, and I'll get it to you.

Edited by C.R.O.

The hydrogen peroxide they're using will kill you in a heartbeat if you handle it just a little bit wrong. It's far more expensive than either avgas or jetA, and the motors are highly inefficient, making even old jet engines look like miraculous misers. That thing ain't gonna fly for long, and I'd bet serious money it never goes commercial, and give pretty long odds on even selling one unit. It's a toy, not a usable machine.

I think I will pass on this one...probably autos Ok but I don't want to find out.

Adding on CFI plank next month since I don't have enough students to keep me flying enough.

Jerry