MD500e Annual/100hr/200hr Inspection

Hey Everyone -

Well, as usual, I tend not to be able to leave well enough alone. I thought I would post a link to a bunch of pictures of my 500 as its torn apart (really). I ran across an issue on my first 100 hour since I purchased the 500 and decided to tear it apart and do a full and complete inspection and replacement program, replacing a bunch of work items and anything near being timed out.

Of course, I had to get lots of pictures and even put up a youtube video as well.

Enjoy !!

Pictures

MD500e Inspection Photos

Short YouTube Video

YouTube Video of disassembled MD500e

Video of the 500 starting up!!

MD500 Startup

Richard- I have reached bottom. I am jealous already of your ship which is currently not even flying!

Love the color scheme..

Need a garage to park it in for a few years?

Goldy

Edited by Goldy

Nice pics. Any story behind that broken strap on the strap pack? A little hard to tell but looks like half of it is missing?

I always try to be around to help the mechanics and ask questions when panels start coming off. I almost always learn something new, even on an a/c that i am familiar with.

Is the panel out for avionics?

Again, Great pics.

BW

Richard- I have reached bottom. I am jealous already of your ship which is currently not even flying!

Love the color scheme..

Need a garage to park it in for a few years?

Goldy

Hey Goldy -

Thanks! I was lucky in that the previous owners (since new) (State of Indiana) spared no expense it seems on the bird. The paint and interior are original and it was well taken care of all of its life. But its been a fun project to get it really where a private owner would like it to be.

When I got it, it had 35 hours on an engine they spend almost $160k to have completely overhauled, I had less than 200 hours on brand new HTC main rotor blades and lots of other goodies (530/KMD150/Auto Pilot, GDL69, HSI, etc), plus a host of STCs.

But then some things seemed to have been overlooked - still had swirl tubes as opposed to a barrier filter system, certain parts were running close to being timed out, no Diamond J gauges just the old style original Torque and TOT gauges and interior plastics that really needed some attention after 25 years.

I put the first 100 hours on it and when I put it in for inspection, the tracking sheets were kind of a mess and it took a lot of research going through all of the logs to find everything. So the paperwork was the first thing to tackle. All new logs were started for both the engine and airframe, all new tracking sheets were created from the old logs, and then the ship was torn apart and all serial numbers, part numbers and remaining times verified for all the major components.

After that, I made a decision to have all the major inspections completed at once (annual, 100hr, 200hr, 2 year grease, etc) so I knew they had all been done and done well (Mike at Civic Helicopters knows 500s extremely well and has been absolutely fantastic to work with and learn from). During that process, all control rods, pitch change links, etc - basically all of the main rotor pitch bearings as well as the tail rotor links all got replaced with new.

Then we found that I only had a couple hundred hours left on the main rotor swash plate and that it appeared that someone had been a little 'aggressive' putting the bearing back together last time it was done, so I purchased an overhauled main rotor swash plate to install (now "0" time since overhaul), pulled the tail rotor drive shaft and control rod redoing all the grommets for the control rod and the bushings for the drive shaft.

I found out there is a 100hr AD on the landing gear due to cracks forming. I figured out the cost to replace the part that has to be inspected as opposed to the cost of the AD every 100 hours and decided to replace them all. No more 100 hour AD on the gear!

We replaced almost all of the plastic/vinyl tubing and both the main fuel cap as well as installed the new Fargo large mouth fuel cap for the Fargo extended tank. It already had all KFlex couplers and a KFlex main drive shaft installed so didn't have to do anything there. The exhaust stacks were sent out and coated with Sermatel 5375 and will be reinstalled with new hangers. I removed the two front seats and replaced them with the mesh seats since I spend a LOT of time over the desert.

While all of this is going on, I am having some work done on the panel (I know, big shocker). Took out the 530/KMD150. Put in a new 430w and a 696, moved a few things around and cleaned up some of the wiring that was left over through the years.

After she gets all put back together (hopefully next week) then it goes to Phoenix Heliparts on Falcon Field to have the AFS Barrier Filter system installed as well as having the forward part of the 'surf board' removed. Maybe get the windows replaced and the lower 'quad' windows removed and replaced with the single piece glass.

I have three big avionics shops working with me on design and layout of the panel. As soon as the Garmin G500H gets its STC, I hopefully will be the first MD500 to have it installed (under field approval). During that time the auto pilot will get removed saving me almost 90 pounds! New Diamond J TOT and Torque gauges will get installed, new main and slant panels designed and installed. I've decided on the new Garmin 800 traffic system and some new grip radio and xpdr controls as well.

Eventually it will get a new paint job and new interior after all of this other stuff has been done but those will be the very last things that get done.

In the end, I will have a fantastic ship with nothing major coming due for hundreds of hours, and at a total price far less than I would have paid for just the used ship two or three years ago!

If we ever get that chance to hook up, I will take you for a flight in it. They are a lot of fun - way different than my R44, but so much fun! I am still trying to get my arms around it. I learned in the 300, put 500 hours in the R44 and now I have just over 100 hours in the 500. I spent a lot of time just getting used to the way it flies and its capabilities as opposed to those of the R44. I have a long way to go before I am as comfortable in it as I am in the R44.

B)

Nice pics. Any story behind that broken strap on the strap pack? A little hard to tell but looks like half of it is missing?

I always try to be around to help the mechanics and ask questions when panels start coming off. I almost always learn something new, even on an a/c that i am familiar with.

Is the panel out for avionics?

Again, Great pics.

BW

Hey Wulfman76 -

Not a broken strap (which is what I thought at first as well) but a piece of cloth that goes between the straps. According to the mechanic - not an issue at all. Since the head has to go back to MD to get new strap packs (MD does not allow anyone but them to replace the straps), I decided that the little piece of cloth could wait!

The guys at Civic are great and most important Mike and Shawn are patient with me as I learn the new helicopter. Books will only go so far and being able to see it taken apart and talk to them while its apart has been a HUGE help for me in getting to know the internals of the 500!

And yes, the panel is out for the avionics. I removed the 530/KMD150 and am putting in a 696 and a new 430w plus moving around a few of the radios.

Hello Richard-It comes as no surprise to see how your approaching maintenance and piece of mind on your newest ship-the 500.Thank you for the pictures and narrative on the overhaul/upgrade.My first thought was is it that much more cost effective when compared to a new 500 E in the vicinity of 1.6 mil,when all costs are tallied and depreciation taken into account,versus a 14 or 15 year old ship,that is having done what you are undertaking? I wish you the best-keep us updated,if I ever make it out your way,I would love to see your toys.

Best Regards,

Jim

Hello Richard-It comes as no surprise to see how your approaching maintenance and piece of mind on your newest ship-the 500.Thank you for the pictures and narrative on the overhaul/upgrade.My first thought was is it that much more cost effective when compared to a new 500 E in the vicinity of 1.6 mil,when all costs are tallied and depreciation taken into account,versus a 14 or 15 year old ship,that is having done what you are undertaking? I wish you the best-keep us updated,if I ever make it out your way,I would love to see your toys.

Best Regards,

Jim

Thanks Jim - I appreciate the comments.

I got the ship for $600k and I will have about $200k to $225k into it with all the mechanical stuff, new interior, new paint and the new G500H panel. So I figure that is (at least) 1/2 the cost of a new ship and I will have a full glass panel, Garmin 800 traffic system, Shadin Fuel Flow system, xm/ipod audio integration, Icom 2820, 406 ELT w/Nav Interface, GDL69a and a new 430W.

With only 135 hours on the engine and 300 hours on the blades, and all other major components having thousands of hours left on them, I think it was a far better way for me to approach having one and having it the exact way I wanted it! If I bought new, the first stop would have been the avionics shop anyway and so that money is spent regardless if I bought new or used!

If you are every out this way, let me know - would love to show her to you!!

:)

Richard:

Awesome upgrade!!! Great to see you still put in the 2 mtr radio and the 696---love to see it all when done!!!

As a Deputy in Kern County I had the opportunity to be the observer chasing bad guys in the 500---what an absolute ball!!! Fun to hook and book in a 500!!! :D

FYI--I started to get my rotary add on in the R44---what a ball----this hovering stuff is interesting---but slowly starting to get the hang of it!! :)

Richard, kind of curious on why you went from a 530 to a 430W. I have used both the 430 and 530 and like the 530 over the 430. Bigger screen, etc. Why did you go that route rather than doing an upgrade on your 530 to make it a 530W.

Hi Rick -

Easy - I use neither. I have a 696 which far surpasses the capabilities of both the 430 and the 530. :P Huge screen, easy to read, fantastic maps (High/Low IFR, VFR), weather, sudo panel, xm radio, etc. The 430 does drive my HSI and autopilot (coming out) and will tie to my fuel computer, but that's about it really. I rely on my 696 for everything else.

The 430W is really only there for my next project - the installation of the Garmin G500H which requires a 430w or 530W to drive it. I even use my SL40 more than my 530 for com - it sounds better!

The 530 takes up WAY too much space for its (in my mind) crappy screen display when compared to my 696. I think the units are fantastic for what they do, and I have two 430s in my Meridian, but their job in life is to drive the MFD (from a mapping perspective). In a pinch I can use them as a back up map, but most of the time I have it set on the traffic or terrain mode and leave it there.

Just my $.02

Richard:

Awesome upgrade!!! Great to see you still put in the 2 mtr radio and the 696---love to see it all when done!!!

As a Deputy in Kern County I had the opportunity to be the observer chasing bad guys in the 500---what an absolute ball!!! Fun to hook and book in a 500!!! :D

FYI--I started to get my rotary add on in the R44---what a ball----this hovering stuff is interesting---but slowly starting to get the hang of it!! :)

Tom -

Outstanding!! I did 5 years in the USMC as a 5811 before starting a business and moving on. Also, my God son just graduated from the last Kern County Academy! I went up and attended his graduation. Hopefully you will get to meet him one day!!

I have used both the R44 and the 500 to volunteer for some S&R with buddies of mine on the Escondido PD as well SDPD. No luck getting to chase anyone in it yet, but I'm trying! I tried (unsuccessfully) to get the city of Escondido to put a helipad on top of their brand new police headquarters and even though I had the support of some LTs and Capts that liked the idea, it never went anywhere. I suspect budget issues put the nails in that particular coffin!

They (Escondido PD) use the services of SDSO a lot, so it was amazing to me that they would not consider a landing pad "an essential requirement" of a brand new multi-story police headquarters!

That's great news about flying the 44. I would stick with the rotor wing stuff, its great fun. My best friend (18 year SDPD vet) starts flight training next Saturday in my R44. He has been flying with me every since we met but never had the ability to do flight training until just recently. I like flying my meridian, but I LOVE flying the 500 and the 44. There is absolutely no comparison to me...planes are useful and take you places but helicopters are my definition of absolute fun! :P

If you ever find yourself down near San Diego, let me know, would love to hook up and go for a flight!

Here is yet another set of items we found as we got deeper into the annual.

This is one of the 5 main rotor pitch bearings. As you can see, there is just a little bit of slop in that bearing!! The bottom is the replacement!

4455601142_8188dc8cf9.jpg

Bad MR Pitch Bearing

4454822205_546d09b25e.jpg

Good Bearing

I bet this will smooth things out once those are in place!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Everyone -

Just following up on the 500 annual/inspection. Seems like I am being conspired against to get my ship back in the air! As its going back together I learned that my starter/generator has less than 100 hour left to overhaul AND its questionable if it will make it that long.

So out it comes and off it goes, giving me another two weeks to take care of even more things (see panel picture below). Other than that, she is going back together well, and hopefully by the end of April will be back in the air enroute to getting its new AFS filter installed.

Click here for a bunch more pictures of it going back together

And here is a picture of the new Sermatel coated exhaust:

4493655890_3ac47bba4b.jpg

And here is the panel after some minor work has been started:

4493658106_018c67b7ae.jpg

You should take just the photo of the panel and put up an ad on Ebay. Used 500E for sale, needs minor work, good paint!

Love how you dig into those ships! Yes, that bearing should help your tracking and vibrations just a bit.

Goldy

Thanks Everyone! I am awaiting the delivery of my overhauled starter/generator from Naasco on Monday. By Wednesday (Hopefully) they will start the long process of the track and balance since 80% of the main rotor system was rebuilt or replaced!!

Hopefully by next weekend I may be flying her again !!

Hey Everyone -

Just thought I would update you on what is happening with the 500. Since I was waiting on the starter/generator we went ahead and made a few changes to the panel. Hopefully these are temporary changes until the G500H is STCd and then we will look at going that direction.

This go around we added a 430W, 696, Shadin Fuel System, M803 clock and 406mhz ELT.

Anyway, the 500 flew today for its track and balance. Few more things to go and it will be heading to Phoenix to get a new filter kit and some other stuff done.

You can find a bunch of pictures of the 500 and the work that was done >>>>> here

4526913423_2f91d18590_b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm.. you mentioned State of Indiana. Any idea if that was a DNR ship based at the Downtown Indianapolis Helipad? I've been down there many times to ride along in the IPD's MD500 and that green paint job looks awfully familiar.

It very well could have been. The pilot told me it was the only 500 that the State owned and operated.

HeloJunkie:

I have a question for you.

Moving from the R44 to the 500 (right seat to left seat) how has the transition gone for you?

It just seems to me to be a lot of cyclic jocking around to adjust things on the panel. I remember in the Bell 47G when I learned it was a hassle because of all of the twisting of the throttle.

Your thoughts?

Great job on the 500, by the way.

edspilot

HeloJunkie:

I have a question for you.

Moving from the R44 to the 500 (right seat to left seat) how has the transition gone for you?

It just seems to me to be a lot of cyclic jocking around to adjust things on the panel. I remember in the Bell 47G when I learned it was a hassle because of all of the twisting of the throttle.

Your thoughts?

Great job on the 500, by the way.

edspilot

Edspilot -

I initially learned in the 300, so the 500 was pretty easy to transition back into even after almost 500 hours in the R44. My biggest trouble was actually going from a 300 to the R44, mostly due to the fact that I was over controlling the 44 because of the hydraulics.

When I first started test flying the 500 (with someone on board of course) I was actually able to lift off, hover, fly it and land it OK (just ok) without anyone having to take the controls. I attribute that to having learned in the 300.

As far as moving back and forth, it is weird going from the left to the right, but also because the 500 is so high compared to the 44. I land both of them on carts, so I have to be careful not to come in too low in the 500 or too high in the 44 as well as to really get my site picture correct before setting down either ship. As far as ease of use of the radios/GPS, etc - absolutely no doubt the R44 is easier due to the proximity of your left hand to the radios!

Not sure if it's worth it but how hard is it to flip to right seat PIC? Is it just switching avionics and gauges around? Are there more controls on the collective and cyclic in the PIC position compared to the controls located on the "dual" side? Just curious really...

MD500E Flight Manual

Flight crew position:

The minimum flight crew consists of one pilot operating the helicopter from

the left seat with left−hand command controls. The right crew seat may be

used for an additional pilot when the approved dual controls are installed.

OR

The minimum flight crew consists of one pilot operating the helicopter from

the right seat with right−hand command controls. The left crew seat may

be used for an additional pilot when the approved dual controls are

installed.