AFSP - How long does it take? How complicated?

Hey all,

I am the proud holder of a Green Card here in the US of A, and I am just about to apply for citizenship.

I wanted to start my flight instructions sooner than later, and someone told me not too long ago that I will need to get clearance through the TSA (AFSP - Alien FLight Student Program) because I am not a citizen. It is supposed to be not complicated and fast.

Well, I did a little research and I came to find out that it seems much more complicated than I had anticipated. And of course, nothing is free in this world. And on top of it, I would have to go in to get finger printed again. I allread have been fingerprinted twice for my immigration stuff, and will be going for a third time for my citizenship application.

Anyway, I am trying to find out, how long does this AFSP process take?

What is your experience?

I am really debating just waiting till I get my citizenship (turn around time about 3 month) then I would not have to mess with the AFSP.

Anyway, any comment in regard to this topic is much appreicated.

Thanks,

Peter

Anyway, I am trying to find out, how long does this AFSP process take?

What is your experience?

Peter

Sorry, what I have seen is that it takes 2-3 months. If you gain citizenship in 3 months anyway, it may not be worth it to apply. You can start learning your ground school and taking practice tests on line...just not flying an aircraft at an approved school.

Congratulations on the citizenship. We like legal immigration.

Goldy

From my own experiences it takes up to 4 weeks. That is, if some douchebag fills in a country that doesn't exist anymore (Surprise: the two Germany's we had are history for more than 20 years now. And it's still in their database waiting for someone to mess you up :rolleyes: ).

But most foreign guys I know got through the process within 10 work days ;)

If you get your citizenship within 3 month, I wouldn't do it. Save $130, some paperwork and the unconvenience involved.

Edited by Hawkeye0001

Mine took about 10 days, but a large part of that was down to having lived somewhere without a street address. Other than that, it was pretty painless. The cost is more than you think - $130 plus whatever it is for fingerprinting - another hundred bucks, I think? And that $130 is per flight school.

--Dave