GPS jamming

Has anyone experienced GPS jamming yet? One of our friends thinks he experienced it last week while flying over TX, as other aircraft in the area were also reporting problems.

Susie

http://www.avweb.com/news/avionics/182754-1.html

http://www.navigadget.com/index.php/2007/0...-and-gsm-jammer

Yeah, I used to fly in the DC area. There were a lot of weird things going on over there. I did a lot of photo flights and aerial tours. To protect my flying privileges I flew with a minimum of 2 GPS devices on board. One mounted in the panel and one portable and always with route tracking turned on. On more than one occasion I found myself in spots where my GPS was clearly wrong. Thankfully it was always outside the ADIZ and FRZ so I never felt my certificate was in danger but clearly something weird was going on. I know a number of people who got their certificate suspended for 90 days or more because they were not where their GPS said they were.

I remember one mission I was taking some sailboat pictures on the Chesapeake down next to Patuxent. This was a friend's 60 footer that I was a crew member on twice a month. I knew the area like the back of my hand. We were close to the Navy flight test center (lots of F18 traffic) and we were near the slip where the owner kept the boat. You can see all of this on a Baltimore/Washington TAC. I looked down at the GPS to make sure I was clear of the airspace at Patuxent following him out of the bay. I was in contact with the tower and it was a CAVU day. Looking down at the GPS I could see it was showing me much closer to Patuxent that I was in real life. I was following the land heading direct to Cove point, where we were to start taking pictures of the boat at sail. There are a number of great landmarks which a blind man could follow to Cove point. My GPS was showing me over Solomons bay (over water) when clearly I was well North of it about 4 miles over land. Both GPS devices show the same thing. When I mentioned it to Patuxent tower they said they showed me on radar clear of their airspace. They couldn't comment any further beyond what they saw on radar.

To All, when you get your Standard briefing prior to your flight, ask the briefer to check GPS RAIM for the time period.

To All, when you get your Standard briefing prior to your flight, ask the briefer to check GPS RAIM for the time period.

You can also check RAIM from your own GPS, not to mention most of us skip over the error messages the unit gives us and forget about them. Myself included.