Training / work options

I'm looking to finish up my commercial/CFI that I started a few years ago. Never did and now I want to get back into it. Shouldn't take much in the way of flight time -10 to 20 at most.

Most of my time is in the 300 so I'm looking at flight schools with 300's. The goal is to find a school that still has a good number of students in view of future possible employment since most schools seem to want to hire their graduates. The options so far seem to be Bristow, Longhorn, Precision and Rotors of the Rockies.

Here's the kicker, since I currently work as a helicopter mechanic I'm hoping to be able to offset some of the inevitable down-time with maintenance work either in-house or on the side. If it's on the side either the company would have to not maintain outside customers or I would have to find something with no conflict of interest like EMS or LE.

Anybody out there working with any of those schools that could give me some thoughts? I'm just trying not to starve while I find a way to build hours. B)

Edited by Fling-wing_1

I've heard bad things about Rotors of the Rockies, and I know because I've spoken to several who were prior instructors with rotors and some who were students. I have no experience with Bristow or Longhorn, though I've heard Bristow is quality training that appears to be more of a pilot mill. I am currently in the process of enrolling with Precision. They have a strong reputation, but are more of a small atmosphere based school. I think most schools you will find right now don't have a high number of students, mainly because the loan situation is still getting figured out, however the student numbers are slowing rising. Maintenance here is pretty much covered. I think the school has three or four A&Ps. As far as the surrounding communities, there is Hillsboro airport will might provide opportunity for you as a maintenance technician. McMinnville down the road from Precision houses Evergreen International. I hear they have a few A&P positions open. Go check their website to verify that information. Good luck!

As far as the surrounding communities, there is Hillsboro airport will might provide opportunity for you as a maintenance technician. McMinnville down the road from Precision houses Evergreen International. I hear they have a few A&P positions open. Go check their website to verify that information. Good luck!

I would be careful when dealing with Hillsboro. I heard they had some maintenance issues with the FSDO about a year back.

As for Evergreen, almost none of the maintenance position are in McMinnville. Several of the position advertised for McMinnville are actually for postions that support helicopters that are on contracts. So you will spend very little time in McMinnville. Plus there is the strong likelihood that you could be 'asked' to do a 'short' term relief in other areas where Evergreen has equipment. They have equipment in many interesting and sporty places. Like Afghanistan, Nigeria, Panama, Philippines, Haiti, etc. Therefore, it will be difficult to build much time or get much training in under those conditions. This is based on experience.

Good luck.

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm leaning towards Bristow if for no other reason than the fact that they have a lot of foreign student contracts it seems. It sounds like they may be picking up some more students soon, especially in Concord. That translates into more CFI turnover. Either Concord or Titusville seem like they might have better opportunities to find side work. The downside is the unknown of getting hired on. I would doubt that being a mechanic would hold much sway with Bristow unless it's in Concord.

I'm familiar with both Evergreen and Precision. I suppose there's always a chance to do a little maintenance for Precision but then there is always the question of how much flight time I would be able to get. I would imagine this economy is taking a real toll. I don't believe they are visa approved? As for Evergreen, well I suppose that's an option for work. Wouldn't be my first choice though. :lol: I doubt Dennis would go for one of his employees working for Hillsboro either, can't say as I could blame him. On the plus side I own a rental in Portland so that would help a bit.

ROTR I don't know much about. Never talked with anyone who worked there or was a student there. Their rates seem awfully high though. I can't imagine that working in their favor in this economy.

I've heard good things about Longhorn but again what they have to help get students in the door such as visa approval, etc. I don't know. The Dallas area would seem to offer good prospects for side work though.

Edited by Fling-wing_1

Just adding a little something for everybody out there working as a CFI. Over the last year and a half or so I've flirted with the idea of finishing up my ratings. During that whole time I've talked with numerous schools and CFI's.

Now, I've indicated to all these folks that I am a PAYING customer with MONEY and have the ability to have my company fly me to wherever I would like on my time off. In all those conversations I have only had two companies take my information and follow-up with me. If I remember right they were Johnston Aviation and Hanger 1 MLU back when I contemplated getting my SFAR sign-off in the R44 while prepping for the exams.

Out of all the rest was one guy who had spent something like $3000 to have a booth at Oshkosh. Some took my number and some didn't but aside from the two mentioned above NOBODY ever followed up with me.

Sometimes life sometimes gets in the way of the best laid plans. That happened with me. I have to say though, an enthusiastic attitude and just one or two follow-up calls could very well have netted me as a customer. Sure I know, it may only be 10 or 20 hours but in these times that seems to be the way it's going to come - bit by bit. I can't help but wonder how many students schools and CFI's pass by just because they don't bother to follow-up.

Just my $.02 B)

Edited by Fling-wing_1