Rechargeable batteries for headsets

Just wondering what you guys are using for batteries for you headsets...at first my rechargeables would last quite a while in my zulus, now not so much...last time I got 2 hours out of a charge :( and these are duracell ni-mh 2700mah....you guys just using good ole one time use? or has anyone found a good rechargeable AA.

Thanks

One time use in Zulu and Bose.

Rechargables are only 1.2V instead of 1.5, so maybe that is what causes the headset to shut down earlier for you? Although most devices don't care. What does the manual have to say about it?

There are some 1.5V rechargables out there though, maybe those would be worth a try?

-> http://shops1.bizarsoftware.com.au/lite/gr...ll/catalogue/c2

Just wondering what you guys are using for batteries for you headsets...at first my rechargeables would last quite a while in my zulus, now not so much...last time I got 2 hours out of a charge :( and these are duracell ni-mh 2700mah....you guys just using good ole one time use? or has anyone found a good rechargeable AA.

Thanks

I also have the duracell rechargable batteries. I used one pair of them for a little bit, and had the same results as you. So I then got excited and bought a crapload of them for everything, such as flashlights, xbox controllers, etc etc. Long story is that for me, that specific brand of batteries have been nothing but a nightmare. I have already had to throw out four batteries because they completely failed to hold a charge. I believe they are just complete crap batteries, I love the rechargable idea, so if anybody has found anything that is reliable I am all ears also.

I've been using the Sanyo AAA Eneloops for my Bose headset & they work like a charm, even a year and a half later. These were/are yielding ~35 hours of run time, maybe 30 hours and seem to play nice with my Bose. Not flying as much these days, but the spare set I have keep a good (GREAT) charge even after several months (wife rips'em off for the booklights). Available off 'n'on at Costco for the kits (8 AA's, 4 AAA's, C & D cell shells for around $22). Worked well for us enough that we picked up 5 or 6 kits and dumped the akalines.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Never had good luck with rechargeables in anything, too unpredictable after the 1st recharge to make it worth the while. I get 40hrs out of single-use in my Bose and always have a spare set in my bag...going without is doable but not fun.

Never had good luck with rechargeables in anything, too unpredictable after the 1st recharge to make it worth the while. I get 40hrs out of single-use in my Bose and always have a spare set in my bag...going without is doable but not fun.

Have to "ditto" you on this one.. i tried all sorts of rechargeable bats.. but went back to single-use... my issue is that when the rechargeables go, it's really quick almost w/o warning, didn't like that at all..

it sucks to loose your noise canceling in a practice auto w/o any warning!! :)

i didn't want it to happen during any real task loaded moment.

dp

Have to "ditto" you on this one.. i tried all sorts of rechargeable bats.. but went back to single-use... my issue is that when the rechargeables go, it's really quick almost w/o warning, didn't like that at all..

it sucks to loose your noise canceling in a practice auto w/o any warning!! :)

i didn't want it to happen during any real task loaded moment.

dp

That's why I made this post...I was kind of expecting it because the light was blinking red instead of green but it still scared the crap out of me.

Didn't know about the voltage difference..I'll check into those costco batteries...does it come with a charger?

One more question, as far as single use go has anyone tried the lithium batteries, supposed to last longer just wondering if it's worth the extra coin.

I'm trying energizer lithiums right now in our Zulu.

Rechargables have their place - I've generally had fairly good experience with name-brand NIMHs. It all depends on how well you treat them. I use them for my photo gear (strobes) and they are way better than one-time use in those.

They are best use for equipment that goes through batteries in a fairly short time. They won't hold their charge for more than a few weeks even if you don't use them, so no point putting them in a TV remote or something like that.

Nikon-

The Eneloops that I have seen and purchased @ Costco have 1 charger/kit. They used to have blue storage cases with lock tabs that never worked, now they just have card stock package with the batteries, shells and charger as loose items in blister packs. I picked up a plastic case with dividers and organized all. Helluva time remembering where they all went, but they work when needed. Also have changed out the alkalines in our truck's 3-cell Maglight; great because of HUGE weight reduction, but not much of a 'tactical bat' anymore...and unless my son plays and leaves it on, it will go for months holding charge.

Here's a little more background: http://www.eneloop.info

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

I have been using Energizer rechargeable NiMH batteries in my Bose for a few years with good results. They recharge in 15 mins. and are good for 35-40 hrs. Another pilot I work with uses the rechargeable Duracell NiMH in his Zulu with similar results.

Edited by spw1177

All rechargeable batteries degrade over time, they only have so many charges available, and they also lose charge while sitting unused. The way to go is the newer hybrid batteries, which hold their charge much longer than standard NiMH batteries. I use rechargeables for most things, but not all. They work best in applications that draw more current, and not as well in applications that draw very little current. Clocks, for example, are not a good use for rechargeables, and standard alkaline batteries work much better. Flashlights are a great use for rechargeables, and although I don't use ANR headsets, and never will, I think they should be a good candidate for rechargeables. No matter what type batteries you use, make sure you have a couple of backup sets at hand, because you'll need to swap them very quickly when (not if) your headset dies. The ones I've seen have very little passive noise reduction, and that's why I don't like them.

Many good comments so far.

Rechargeable NiMH and NiCd have a nearly flat discharge curve until they reach the end of their charge and then loose capacity very quickly. This characteristic makes the remaining battery life indicator nearly useless. I get 30 to 40 hrs with my Bose headset on standard alkaline batteries with plenty of low battery warning time. Due to the relatively high self discharge rate, recheargeables don't lend themselve to sitting around as a spare's either. They loose a few percent of charge the first couple of days and a few percent per month thereafter, with cold storage conditions further reducing their capacity. Though they are more expensive, the Energizer non rechargeable Lithiums suggested for use in the SPOT locator devices may also do well in headsets and have great cold weather performance. I intend to test them out next battery replacement.

Mike