Thinking of making an R22 w/b iPhone App

Inferno

Well, i have some spare time and the drive to make this app. It will basically be like the paper sheets we teach students with down to having a chart to visually indicate the location of the CG. Is there any interest in the community, and what do you think is a fair price point? I have to supplement my meager cfi salary somehow :P

If this one goes well, I plan on making an r44 and s300 version as well.

Please let me know your opinions. Coding on these types of things takes weeks, so I would rather not waste my time if there's no point...

Well, i have some spare time and the drive to make this app. It will basically be like the paper sheets we teach students with down to having a chart to visually indicate the location of the CG. Is there any interest in the community, and what do you think is a fair price point? I have to supplement my meager cfi salary somehow :P

If this one goes well, I plan on making an r44 and s300 version as well.

Please let me know your opinions. Coding on these types of things takes weeks, so I would rather not waste my time if there's no point...

An iPhone app for cg specifically for us sounds real handy and useful, especially if you can get a graphical rep of specific aircraft. I have no idea what a fair price would be but would def be willing to pay for one.

yeah, I'd take one. Unfortunately the price point is very important...and it would be a suggestion to make the application contain all 3 helis mentioned...meaning you could charge more for the application.

I often think of this, but don't have the time...so glad somebody has the time and willingness to do it.

Making it 'graphical' is very important as well.

good luck

I'm probably going to do all the apps individually. This is mostly due to ease of coding. The user will be able to enter and save aircraft profiles (weight, long arm, lat arm) for later use. After a bit of research, I think $2 or $3 will be a fair price. The goal of this app is to be super simple. No plotting c/g limit graphs, no setting the arm for the pilot, etc. All the user needs to do is create an aircraft profile and plug in the weights for their flight. The app takes care of the rest. Sure, some people might want more, but if you need to do a quick w/b before taking a friend up, this would do in 15 seconds what takes 2-5 minutes on paper.

Or, laziness will get the better of me and I will just buy ibal....

Here is a thought for you:

Imagine you get ramp checked and the Faa guy wants you to show him your W/B and you show him your phone and say, here it is. He will say, ok but thats not FAA Approved/Certified, therefore its not valid. FAA treats everything wrong unless it has been looked over and approved !

Especially when it comes to 135 ops. what ever you use to calculate your CG you MUST use FAA approved 135GOM forms.

Thought Nr.2. you allow the client/ customer to enter the aircrafts specific empty weight/ moment/ arm...etc

A student pilot enters his numbers in your W/B program and didnt realized he put in wrong numbers and is exceeding the factory C/G now he crashes and is badly injured. FAA finds out the C/G was exceeded and the pilot will point his finger at you.

I am just saying, if you want to offer such W/B application, you better get it approved by the faa, especially if you want to make money with it.

Falko

Have flight plan, I think it sucks.

I tried iBal. Its OK, but there are some glitches with it. Maybe a revision or 2 and it will be useful... Looks like I'm gona be lazy though....

Flight Plan - Pilots tool box for Iphone/Ipod is real good and cheap too

Definatley agree about the 135 stuff and using un-approved method's for your W&B. You'll get in big trouble for that in the 135 world. but in part 91 stuff, I dont think it matters how you do it. as long as you use manufacturers numbers. (CG, arms, etc...) and can show that you did it. saying they would get mad during part 91 stuff would be like saying they would get upset if i use a certain form that you dont use. or that they dont use. 9,000 different ways to skin a cat in part 91. Again, 135 is a different story. Do what your ops specs say, and only what your ops spec says.