Building a Rotor System?

I need ideas for building my own rotor system for a completely home made helicopter. I need help with the main and tail rotors. I was thinking about using gyro's from a bicycle, i would like opinions on that idea. A friend of mine was talking about using a clutch fork idea with bearings, i don't know the extent of what he is thinking but i would also like opinions on that idea. I know it's really dangerous and stupid to build/fly a home made helicopter but I'm willing to risk it and will possibly controlling it remotely before I do any flying myself, for safety reasons. I will not hold anyone else responsible for injury because of the ideas they give me. Please help me out.

Side note: Thoughts about frame shape would help too even though I think I have my plans worked out.

BMX bikes, for the breaks to still pull when the handlebars spin.

i was thinking about using the pulling theory to pull down the blades for tilting while still spinning.

i don't know much about helicopters at all ive just started researching a few weeks ago and that was my 1st thought since i don't have much money to work with. i still don't have everything worked out and that's why im asking for any advice.

Since we're on this topic, I've always wondered how/why they choose to spin the rotor clockwise or counterclockwise? :huh:

Depends on what side of the ocean your on...

bike 'gyros' are more like swashplates than the kind of gyros you're thinking of...

They're also too small and fragile. the 'pull down' theory won't be a reliable, safe method, either.

yeah i thought about them being too fragile, but i thought if i could get the concept to work out i kould get bigger stronger ones made for my purpose.

BMX bikes, for the breaks to still pull when the handlebars spin.

i was thinking about using the pulling theory to pull down the blades for tilting while still spinning.

i don't know much about helicopters at all ive just started researching a few weeks ago and that was my 1st thought since i don't have much money to work with. i still don't have everything worked out and that's why im asking for any advice.

ah those gyros that prevent the brakes from working properly on cheap bmx bikes...

Since we're on this topic, I've always wondered how/why they choose to spin the rotor clockwise or counterclockwise?

my guess is that it was simply determined by which way the crankshaft happened to turn in the engines they used to built the first ones.

Now, let's think this through...

You have never flown a helicopter, so your first solo will be your first flight.

You have no idea how a helicopter works, so your first model will be a complete prototype.

yeah, go for it, the gene pool is way too deep and needs some reduction. The Darwin theory should hold up.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow......... Creative.. But Nuts! Better off saving money and at least buy and build a REAL "Kit" helicopter , like the mosquito.. At least its made with real aviation grade parts, and proven technologies.. And Oh Yea.. Definitely get some lessons, even if only 10-20 hrs.. You need to know how to handle these things.. Im sure every one of us can say that our first few hours, Our lives were literally saved by our instructor catching an out of control hover attempt!! See link!!

I need ideas for building my own rotor system for a completely home made helicopter.

Honestly, do us all a favor and go buy an R22.

If thats not daring enough for you, go fly any one of 100 kits that are already out there that have at least a 50/50 chance of surviving a one hour flight.

If you won't do that, then I just need your name and DOB so I can get the insurance policy in place.

Seriously, you have no idea the dangers you will be putting yourself in.

Goldy

Im sure every one of us can say that our first few hours, Our lives were literally saved by our instructor catching an out of control hover attempt!!

LOL...... Sooooo TRuue...........

SUPERMICHEAL, go take a demo flight then you won't feel so super when your at the controls for the first few flights, lol..... pun intended..The things are very unstable even when engineered properly. I had a friend kinda tell me the same thing. Why buy a heli, we can build one. I never laughed so hard in my life. He wanted to build one outta wood, angle iron and with a car engine for power.

Not saying you shouldn't dream but you have to be realistic with your talents. Lots of time and money poured into rotorhead designs.

You said it your self dangerous and STUPID. Do you want to wind up like my friend in a wheel chair paralized from the waist down pissing in a bag strapped to your leg the rest of your life? You are going to get hurt. Go get some training and then buy a kit helicopter or better yet buy something like a cheep hiller 12c,bell 47-D1,or hughes 269, something that's been proven. If money is an issue you can buy parts as you go,take your time,and build something that is safe to fly. To manufacture your own helicopter parts is insane. The wright brothers got away with it because it was a airplane,when helicopters malfuction they can fall like a anvil.I even had a freind that hit the ground so hard in a helo. that the cyclic went through the roof of his mouth. Is this what you have in mind when your screwing around in your garage. Look I am not trying to be a buzz kill, I just don't want you to get hurt. This ain't motorcycles and this ain't hotrod cars,and if you ain't never flown a helicopter,and you don't get some duel, it's going to eat your lunch.

literally saved by our instructor catching an out of control hover attempt!!

Have to tell this. When I was training one day in our practice area with my cfi, we had 3 heli's in the practice area that day. 2 of us students could fly and 1 was brand new. Lucky me I was in the middle training box that day. To my left was a student solo to my right, the "new guy"..

The new guy was putting on a real "RODEO" show for us. I was so distracted trying to setup a landing approach, my CFI was even talking outloud to himself about the guy, anywho.. A few times I had to do some slide lefts to get some clearance from a charging heli, lol... Just as a precaution not knowing if they could see us on final or not.

Later that student, older man, was so embarrased. He asked us if we enjoyed the show.. ha ha.. He was like, man this is hard don't know if I can do it, ha ha..

Reminds me of my demo ride, I made my cfi sick I was stirring the cyclic so fast, lol..She was like, uhh stop doing that your making me sick over here. heh eeeheeehhhee.... When I lost control and she recovered she would say things like, "Try to keep it in Texas this time" and then give me the cyclic back.

Ah, fond memories.....

• 2 weeks later...

Ok if your really wanted to build your own ,then you would be wise to join this group.

At least you can see how others have made stuff and get some Ideas.

regardless you will need training to fly, I just restored my 1968 Helicom Commuter H-1B plans built helicopter. I have about 6 hours dual in a 269-A and trust me I am not even going to risk wiping my bird out.

a Helicopter will get away from you very fast. not to mention if you do not have the blades tracked and balanced ( not and easy thing to do and takes time ) the machine can literally shakes it's self apart.

but here is a link to a site you would be wise to join and study a long time before you even think about starting to build.

Trust me I know, I designed and built my own helicopter ( TH-135 Dusty 2 ),I got it light on the skids and sold it.

This took 6 years of trail and error.I have some scary videos of tests and of parts departing the aircraft and parts breaking when they could not handle the loads.

I have video on the blades getting out of track so bad that blades almost hit the tail boom.

Honestly I am lucky to still be alive.

so now that you have heard from someone who has done what you are thinking about doing take my advice get help from others that have been there and above all get training.

here is the link and good luck.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Helicopter_Forum/

also I would suggest you invest in some good machine tools to make parts with, a drill press and hand saws are not going to cut it. at least buy one of the 3 in 1 combo mills from harbor freight tools, if you can not afford to buy that tool then you don't need to even think any more about trying to build your own helicopter. oh and expect to spend at least $10,000 or more in parts.

if you really want to fly under rotors cheaply build a Gyroplane,you can get plans for the gyrobee Gyro online free and it is a proven and well designed gyro.

for more info on Gyroplanes go to www.pra.org or www.rotaryforum.com

Tim aka Animal on the Rotarywing forum.