Rare classic homebuilt/ time builder,Safari heli's grand daddy

Posting here as this would be a great,cheap to fly time builder that is as close to a factory built machine as you can get.

Worse case maybe I educated some Fellow Helicopter lovers to the History of the Safari kit built helicopter.

as you can see by my screen name I am dreamin of a Commuter 2B, that is the 2 seat version with dual controls. I have located a project, so the sooner I can move this helicopter the sooner I can make my dream of owning a Commuter 2B come true. I tried to upload a pic, but it says I am out of space, so just check out the link to the Forum to see them. also while there check out Stan Fosters helicycle build thread,this is one sweet Helicopter he is building and a very detailed build thread.

the Rotarywing forum is mostly Gyroplanes,so if ya ever wondered about a Gyroplane, well your search is over.

Fly safe and if you are looking for a nice helicopter to build time in, then give me a call.

I always enjoy talking helicopters and gyros.

For sale : Very Rare Complete Experimental Helicom Commuter H-1B single seat Helicopter with all current FAA paperwork and and I even have a set of the 1960's full size plans and it is currently registered ( N814S )and just passed the conditional inspection $30,000 or best cash offer.

The Commuter is the Grand daddy of the CHR baby belle/Safari Helicopter. Even the Safari website history says that the Safari evolved from the Helicom commuter.

This machine, I own is very much a part of home built helicopter and the Helicom company history and was even at one time owned by the company tamarand International – the company that bought the design rights in the mid 80's from Helicom and was even flown by the designer him self Harold “Pop” Emigh as he has endorsed the log books.

Later Bob Dart of Mayville new york, Bought the design right ( international helicopters ) and he has even endorsed the log books.

I even have a pic of it flying when first built.

If I was Helicopter rated I would keep it and enjoy it as it is a well built and Very Rare helicopter.

Now the rest of the story.

I bought it to restore to sell to a man that agreed to buy it as a time builder when restored, mid way through the restore the buyer backed out.

So now I need to find a new buyer as I am not helicopter rated.

I have the helicopter up to the running stage and I have done a restore thread on the Rotarywing forum at http://www.rotaryforum.com/forum ( beware there is a lot of wanna Be drama on that Forum. )

/showthread.php?t=22141 and here is a short Video of the very first test start since the restore. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--A9Iczesv8 note in this Video I don't have the idle set or the blades tracked.

This was the first time it was started since 1992 and as you can see she fired right up. I was hoping to get it test flown before listing it, but my test pilot is away and not sure when he can travel to my location to test it.

There are over 300 plus pages on the Forum restore thread and more being added as I test this helicopter. It is running great and in the stage of final rotor adjustments.

This will be a great helicopter for someone wanting to build Helicopter time, it is built very strong, 4130 steel airframe with fiberglass covering.

It is powered with a true aircraft engine, Cont. C90-12F modified to 100 h.p. The engine mounts vertically like in a Bell-47 has great oil pressure. As would be expected since the engine only has about 15 hours on it and was pickled when stored.

It has 2 - 6 gal. Fuel tanks with a range of 130 miles with 30 minute reserve 170 miles with no reserve. Flys at 75 m.p.h. Max rate of climb 1,670 f.p.m. Vert. Rate of climb 500 f.p.m. Hover ceiling out of ground effect 6,800 feet ,service ceiling 10,000 feet as reported in janes aircraft 1969-1970 this helicopter is rated for a max pilot weight of 300 pounds. So this helicopter is a power house. The first commuters flew on 65 h.p.

The helicopter is located in Greensboro n.c. And available for inspection to a buyer. Call Tim aka Animal at 336-674-0451 or E-mail me at ncra@bellsouth.net and I can send you pics of any part of this helicopter you wish to see. Of course most pics are already on the Forum.

where else can you buy a helicopter with this complete back ground and info?

The price is negotiable but I will not just give this helicopter away.

Edited by Dreamin of a Commuter 2B

wow over 100 views and no comments.

wow over 100 views and no comments.

anyway I have a test Pilot coming in next saturday and we are going to try and get it test flown and some video of it flying. will be cool to see this rare bird fly again.

Tim- Good luck on the first test flight. I have watched your restore build....you have put a lot of hard work and care into breathing life back into this classic helicopter. I cant wait to see it flying next weekend.

Stan

Thanks Stan,it's going to be exciting to say the least. now as long as the weather is good next week end I will be happy.

I have almost finished the blade supports so I can transport it to the flight test area.

Hope you get your turbine soon for your helicycle, now that is going to be an exciting test flight.

But it is out of in inspection as it is just now gone through a frame up restoration. My A&P said any good buyer would probably want his own A&P to inspect it anyway after they buy it. He made a good point so I did not have him do an inspection. It is a simple experimental conditional inspection

How can you fly the helicopter without a condition inspection?

Edited by rotormatic1

well now that I have a test pilot lined up,I plan to get it inspected.

I mean gees it not that big a deal to get done.

Test flight is cancelled, to much to get done in a short amount of time,such as inspection and modifying trailer to haul it, plus A&P has not returned calls about the Inpection. not to mention it is going to be thunder storms , so it is just going to be sold as is. I will still be working on the blade tracking and adjusments,but other then that, buyer buys it as is where is.

Now that Said, if I can find a local A&P to inspect it I will go ahead and get that done.

But it is out of in inspection as it is just now gone through a frame up restoration. My A&P said any good buyer would probably want his own A&P to inspect it anyway after they buy it. He made a good point so I did not have him do an inspection. It is a simple experimental conditional inspection

For anyone concerned,I am happy to say on june 6/2010, the Commuter has passed it's Conditional inspection.

I had no dought that it would not pass.