VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION !!!

when i was a child, i'm talking like 5 years old my mom put me on ridilin, however i never underwent tests of any kind to be formally diognosed with adhd. the reason my mom put me on it was because my public school said i was a clown :X and they just wanted to calm me down so thats what my mom did. however it calmed me down so much my mom immediatly took me off it and i have not been on it since....i'm now almost 27 years old. is this going to stop me from getting my medical certificate? i mean i have not been on the medication in over 20 years... but im have been reading online about this preventing a lot of pilots from getting there medicals. Can anyone shed some light on this for me???

I don't recall any questions on the medical certificate application relating to ADHD, and the only questions on medication are about what you are currently taking. I wouldn't even mention it. When dealing with the guvmint, at any level, never answer any question you haven't been asked. Every lawyer will tell you that.

Ok, well thanks for the advice guys ! im guessing im just gonna need a 2nd class for helo's right? or should i get the 1st done to make sure i can pass it? i start my pilot training in sept. from what i have read 1st class is only for commercial airline transit pilots? that sounds like fixed wing to me.... Do they test for add/adhd in any of the class medicals ?

Ok, well thanks for the advice guys ! im guessing im just gonna need a 2nd class for helo's right? or should i get the 1st done to make sure i can pass it? i start my pilot training in sept. from what i have read 1st class is only for commercial airline transit pilots? that sounds like fixed wing to me.... Do they test for add/adhd in any of the class medicals ?

No drama's on your medical...that was 20 years ago. The FAA medical pertains to "today" and for the next "2" years (duration) of your physical.

1st Class physicals are required for ATP and for flying PIC ATP. 2nd Class will do you just fine. Remember to answer "no" on the questions! :)

Rotorrodent

okay thanks Rotorrodent ! :D now i feel good about this again, i got myself all worked up after my research lol. but yeah i have not taken any medication of anykind since i was 5. so i should be just fine ! whoohoo !!! :lol:

There are helicopter ATPs. I have one in my pocket. But there is no need for a first-class physical unless you're flying under Part 121, which is extremely rare, or you employer requires it, which is less rare. My advice would be to worry about that when you have to, not before.

okay thanks Rotorrodent ! :D now i feel good about this again, i got myself all worked up after my research lol. but yeah i have not taken any medication of anykind since i was 5. so i should be just fine ! whoohoo !!! :lol:

I refer you to the experts, not necessarily regular posters here.

"Attention Deficit (ADD) - Ritalin (Methylphenidate Hydrochloride), Adderall (Dextroamphetamine Sulfate) and Strattera (Atomoxetine Hydrochloride) are usually not approved by the FAA. Under rare circumstances, individuals using Ritalin have been approved with restrictions. Approval is more likely for adults due to the difficulty in accurately evaluating ADD in young people and typically requires time off medication prior to flight."

Link: http://www.leftseat.com/medcat1.htm

There are serious consequences to non disclosure on the FAA physical. As you can see above, there are means to being approved, even if you are taking it now. As mentioned by those above, it should be no problem, but DO disclose it, as all medications. It may mean just asking the AME "does this mean now, or for how long in the past?" Much better than possible fines or, yes imprisonment, for non-disclosure.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/03/21/former_cape_air_pilot_get_prison_time_for_lying/

Something to think about. No one ever went to prison for telling the truth on the medical questionare.

If this is your first medical, you might want to consider discussing with your AME whether you'd pass a first class or not. The rationale is that you can identify any potential issues now so you don't risk sitting for it down the line (when you need it) and having it denied. Otherwise, sit for the lowest medical you need--2nd class in your case.

Several weeks back, AOPA had a web conference on medical certification. Although a lot of it was geared toward general aviation, I think it's worth listening to. Lots of good perspective on how the process works and avoiding potential problems. It's archived on the AOPA site.[link]

mk, ill def take a look, like i said above, i was on ritilin for like a week thats it, never took it again nor do i take anything now and i have never taken any other kind of medication for any reason. but ill def check all that out

when i was a child, i'm talking like 5 years old my mom put me on ridilin, however i never underwent tests of any kind to be formally diognosed with adhd. Is this going to stop me from getting my medical certificate? I mean I have not been on the medication in over 20 years.

NO, this will not stop you from getting your medical. According to FAR 67.107 and 67.207 it would have to be an established medical history or clinical diagnosis of mental or other conditions.

As long as you're in good health, not under any medications or other treatments and do not have any of the following conditions you're entitled to an appropriate medical certificate. I would recommend that be a second class in your case.

(1) Coronary heart disease

(2) Angina

(3) Myocardial infarction

(4) Heart replacement

(5) Cardiac valve replacement

(6) Permanent cardiac pacemakers

(7) Diabetes

(8) Psychosis

(9) Bipolar disorder

(10) Severe personality disorder

(11) Substance dependence or abuse

(12) Epilepsy

(13) Disturbance of consciousness (without satisfactory explanation)

(14) Transient loss of nervous system function

Since you have no established medical history or clinical diagnoses of any of these conditions and have no reason to know of any medical condition that would make you unable to meet the requirements for the medical certificate, you should answer "NO" to any such questions on the medical application.

As an Example..

There are a number of questions on the medical application under the following heading (Line # 18):

"Have you ever in your life been diagnosed, had, or do you presently have any of the following:"

One of those questions is: “Mental disorders of any sort” (yes or no):

To this you could answer, NO. Since it was never any established basis (clinically or otherwise) that you ever had ADHD.

Also read FAR 67.113 and 67.213.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sec. 67.107 Mental. (In Part)

Mental standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) No established medical history or clinical diagnosis of any of the following:

(1) A personality disorder that is severe enough to have repeatedly manifested itself by overt acts.

(2) A psychosis. As used in this section, ``psychosis'' refers to a mental disorder in which:

(i) The individual has manifested delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of this condition; or

(ii) The individual may reasonably be expected to manifest delusions, hallucinations, grossly bizarre or disorganized behavior, or other commonly accepted symptoms of this condition.

(3) A bipolar disorder.

(4) Substance dependence, except where there is established clinical evidence, satisfactory to the Federal Air Surgeon, of recovery, including sustained total abstinence from the substance(s) for not less than the preceding 2 years.

As used in this section--

(i) ``Substance'' includes: Alcohol; other sedatives and hypnotics; anxiolytics; opioids; central nervous system stimulants such as cocaine, amphetamines, and similarly acting sympathomimetics; hallucinogens; phencyclidine or similarly acting arylcyclohexylamines; cannabis;

Edited by iChris

wow, that pretty much sums it all up lol, yeah im def. good to go :) thanks iChris.

• 4 weeks later...

What about misdemeanors? After reading the AOPA airman medical certification slide show.

Would you have to check yes to "history of non-traffic conviction(s) if you were arrested once for drunk in public (no where near a vehicle) on your 21st birthday, never went to court, just paid a fine? When they say "history" do they mean repeat jail time?

post-14713-127777563199_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jason Paterson

I'd chime in with the, get the medical sorted out before you start/spend on training.

Just to make sure there are no snags in the medical part before you start the addiction part of things. It would really stink to get part way through private and then get declined for the medical.

Just a thought, and this one is probably worth what you paid for it, lol.

I'd go ahead and mark it down as a yes. I've got a misdemeanor arrest on my record from like ten years ago. The FAA sent me a letter saying basically "we haven't denied anything, but you need to get us some documentation. You have 30 days."

I got what I could, seeing how my probation officer had moved out of state and most of my records had been destroyed, and the FAA had no problem with it. They just sent me another letter that said "Thanks. This is your only warning... don't do that again!"

My two cents!

I was in almost the same position as you, diag'd ADHD when I was a kid, on Ritalin for a year or two around 13ish. Went to get my initial 2nd class medical two years ago to start flight training, and (I can't remember the wording) there was a question about childhood medications or diagnoses or something and I filled in my ADHD and Ritalin information stating that I hadn't taken Ritalin since around age 13, (I was 30 at the time). The Doc said that if I hadn't put that on the form he could have issued my 2nd class right then and there, but since I had he was required to send it to the FAA Medical offices in Oklahoma for review.

Couple of months later I got a response from them stating that I had to go to a shrink and complete the entire battery of mental evaluations and tests (my shrink called it the "shotgun approach") and send the results to them for review to make sure I wasn't crazy or anything before they would issue my medical. It took about a week of testing and evaluation sessions (that I had to pay for of course), then about a month of hounding the FAA for their decision after we sent them all the results.

Put me over a month behind since I couldn't solo without the medical.

So I guess my advice (and what the initial Doc told me) is don't volunteer more info than you have to. Or start the medical process 6 months to a year in advance of starting your training. Almost forgot, the shrink tests and evals cost me around a grand.

Any questions feel free to PM me.

Edited by Chewie