enstrom 280 shark

viking

Is that really exercising good pilot judgement to leave the blades turning with no pilot inside the aircraft? That is somewhat setting a bad example for any student pilot or aspiring pilot on this forum. I know it is just a little piston aircraft, but none the less.

Edited by RagMan

its not bad judgement...

it may not be the SAFEST thing to do, but then again... helicopter's in general may not be the SAFEST thing to do. but we still get in them and love it.

I get out to pee regularly

We get out all the time too. I dont think it is exercising bad judgement thats for sure. Sometimes it's not economical to shut down.

interesting how the huey blade bends the same way on each revolution.

Yo do know that blades don't actually bend like that and that it is a camera trick, right?

I still enjoy seeing those types of images and vids...I really liked the vid of a fire 212 that had a frozen M/R...and still lifted off. Ok, back to the serious stuff:

its not bad judgement...

it may not be the SAFEST thing to do, but then again... helicopter's in general may not be the SAFEST thing to do. but we still get in them and love it.

&

We get out all the time too. I don't think it is exercising bad judgment that's for sure. Sometimes it's not economical to shut down.

I'm with Ragman on this (although I do understand the practical-operational responses). It's not bad judgement until the friction loosens a little and the ship balls up. Then, after reporting to FAA & NTSB, FAA asks who was at controls and was it an emergency situation. What's that, nobody and it wasn't an emergency? OK, let's review RFM limitation section for flightcrew requirements - for example, the R44 has 1 minimum, 206L-4 has 1 minimum, 212 has 1 minimum/ 2 if cargo is flammable mat'ls. I don't have an Enstrom RFM available, but I would be curious to see if they differ much. Then, the FAA opens up 91.3, 91.9 & 91.13 on you. They might cut some slack under 91.105, but still would be looking at a checkride with FSDO inspector, maybe a suspension if this is a chronic issue.

Then, insurance. "Who was at the controls? WHO was at the controls?...Gee, does the policy cover operation with nobody at controls?" You know where these will end up. Flying is not about using good judgment; it is about exercising your best judgment - always. Nuf said.

-WATCH FOR THE PATTERNS, WATCH FOR THE WIRES-

Safety first. To clarify the circumstances surrounding the washing of the blades of this helicopter it may be useful to add that this takes place in a sheltered environment in nil wind conditions at my private hanger. The throttle and collective frictions are 100% operational and are on, in addition there is a strap over the collective that is secured to the air frame . The engine is running at 1800 rpm and with a minute of water directly onto the blades they are spotless in 60secs. In Australia as i am sure it is in the US and other countries, especially in our outback for refueling, hot unmanned aircraft are a fact of life all commonsence precautions taken i dont have an issue with it.

regards

Viking

thanks hovermatt, i was talking about the huey.

inregards to being outside of a running machine, it is common practice in some industries. As its not always practical or safe to turn off the machine. BUT this does not mean we do it for the sake of doing it. As AROTRHD said 'it is about exercising your best judgment.' most accidents i have seen have not come about from poor handling skills but from bad decisions..