Civilian Helmets

RtrCFI

I just landed a job which requires a helmet, so I will be buying one. It looks to me that there are three major brands: Gentex, Alpha Eagle, and Gallet. Since everyone at my base has the Gentex, I can't really see and compare. I would really welcome any opinions or input on the following:

-Which brand do you prefer and why?

-Which features are worth the money? (ANR, CEP, etc.)

-Any particular companies that you enjoyed working with? (Or opposite)

Thanks in advance

Gentex is pretty much the standard. Other brands are less common, and I've never worn anything other than a Gentex, starting way back with an APH5. They're rugged and reliable, if a little heavy. Many companies won't support other brands, so you have to do all the maintenance yourself. IMO, CEP is a must, I wouldn't want to be without it. You don't need ANR if you have CEP installed, and it's much cheaper, more reliable, and you get better noise reduction.

I have a Gentex but if I had more money it would be a MSA Gallet LH250. I tried one on and really liked the fit. They are less bulky too!

I would recommend the Gentex as well. The Gallets and the Alpha Eagles will be a lot more expensive than the Gentex helmets. You can typically find a good Gentex on ebay for $500. I would also highly recommend getting the helmet setup with CEPs. The CEPs make a huge difference, are cost effective, and the installation can be done yourself with some simple tool skills.

Does anyone have experience with both the HGU-56 and the HGU-84? I'm using the 56 now and I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I like the lower profile of the 84. I've never used one. Any disadvantages to it? (This is for purchasing a helmet for civilian use.)

I have no HGU-84 experience, but I did wear the HGU-56 in the Army for 5 1/2 years. A very top notch helmet. CEPs were standard for our helmets. They weren't required, but they made such a big difference in hearing ability that most everyone who were on flight duty wore them. It wasn't until last year when we started getting the Zeta Liners for our helmets. What a huge difference in comfort over the TPL liner.

I purchased an SPH-4b over ebay a few weeks back but I am thinking about going with an HGU-56 simply because it is more comfortable and provides more clearance for the ear cup areas, thus not making it such a squeeze to get the helmet on your head like the sph-4b does.

Personally I would stick with the HGU-56. If you don't have a Zeta Liner or CEPs in it yet, I would toss those in the helmet.

ronnabbott@aol.com

helicopterhelmets.com

Try this real helpful with a lot of info.

note his advert on right of posts

Be aware there are some adds selling what appear to be helicopter helmets, which are not

Does anyone have experience with both the HGU-56 and the HGU-84? I'm using the 56 now and I'm pretty comfortable with it, but I like the lower profile of the 84. I've never used one. Any disadvantages to it? (This is for purchasing a helmet for civilian use.)

I have an HGU-84 and a Gallet. I loved the HGU-84 when I was using it, then they issued me the Gallet. It's lighter, but I wouldn't say the overall fit is any more comfortable than the HGU. I definitely like the fastners etc on the HGU better. The Gallet system is plastic, and I question its ability to retain the helmet in an impact. Overall, the HGU seems to be a more robust helmet (hence the extra weight).