A/G communication panel?

Question 4386 in ASA's instrument test prep:

Where can the VOT frequency for a particular airport be found?

A- On the IAP chart and in the Airport/Facility Directory.

B- Only in the Airport/Facility Directory.

C- In the Airport/Facility Directory and on the A/G Voice Communication Panel of the En Route Low Altitude Chart.

According to the test prep, the correct answer is "C", however, it is not correct on the actual FAA written exam (I got it wrong). Even ASA's "Instrument Flying" book concurs with answer "C" above.

So, is ASA's publications incorrect, or is there a flaw in the written exam. What is the A/G Voice Communication Panel? I've been all over the En Route Low Altitude Charts and can't find it anywhere. Is it going off of some old school charts?

I had a similar problem (the wrong answer being right) when I took the Instrument written, that's why I didn't get 100%(missed one question!). <_<

I think they design it that way to make it harder to get a perfect score. Its kind of like the DMV asking questions about motorcycles on the automobile test.

As for that 'A/G' thing, I don't recall anything like that during my studies? :huh:

Question 4386 in ASA's instrument test prep:

Where can the VOT frequency for a particular airport be found?

A- On the IAP chart and in the Airport/Facility Directory.

B- Only in the Airport/Facility Directory.

C- In the Airport/Facility Directory and on the A/G Voice Communication Panel of the En Route Low Altitude Chart.

According to the test prep, the correct answer is "C", however, it is not correct on the actual FAA written exam (I got it wrong). Even ASA's "Instrument Flying" book concurs with answer "C" above.

So, is ASA's publications incorrect, or is there a flaw in the written exam. What is the A/G Voice Communication Panel? I've been all over the En Route Low Altitude Charts and can't find it anywhere. Is it going off of some old school charts?

Who you callin' old? <_ oh yeah that so two years ago src="%7B___base_url___%7D/uploads/emoticons/default_laugh.png" alt=":lol:">

Look in the 2010 ASA FAR/AIM, AIM 1-1-4, f-2 where it tells you that, "...VOTs are published in the A/FD." (page 504 in mine - keep in mind they're republishing these constantly to try to keep up with the changes so yours could be different)

To the right of that passage is a BOLD line in the margin, which it 'splains in the front of the book means updated text.

mmm'kay... now flip back to the start of the AIM section to the page titled Explanation of Changes Since July 2008 (page 491 in mine). You'll see that 1-1-4 VOR Receiver Check says,

"
A/G voice communications panels are no longer depicted on the FAA IFR area chart and IFR enroute low altitude chart.
"

Grab an OLD IFR Enroute Low Altitude chart (I'm looking at one here from waaay back in 2006) and you'll see the A/G VOICE COMMUNICATION panel.

If you look at Order JO 7340.2A, Contractions, Chapter 2, Section 1, you'll see that A/G decodes as "air to ground". ;)

So it looks like answer "C" used to be correct, but no longer. It appears answer "B" is now the correct choice.

Who you callin' old? <_< Oh yeah, 2008, that's SO two years ago! :lol:

Look in the 2010 ASA FAR/AIM, AIM 1-1-4, f-2 where it tells you that, "...VOTs are published in the A/FD." (page 504 in mine - keep in mind they're republishing these constantly to try to keep up with the changes so yours could be different)

To the right of that passage is a BOLD line in the margin, which it 'splains in the front of the book means updated text.

mmm'kay... now flip back to the start of the AIM section to the page titled Explanation of Changes Since July 2008 (page 491 in mine). You'll see that 1-1-4 VOR Receiver Check says,

"
A/G voice communications panels are no longer depicted on the FAA IFR area chart and IFR enroute low altitude chart.
"

Grab an OLD IFR Enroute Low Altitude chart (I'm looking at one here from waaay back in 2006) and you'll see the A/G VOICE COMMUNICATION panel.

If you look at Order JO 7340.2A, Contractions, Chapter 2, Section 1, you'll see that A/G decodes as "air to ground". ;)

So it looks like answer "C" used to be correct, but no longer. It appears answer "B" is now the correct choice.

Thank you so much! I must not have looked hard enough. I can now sleep at night. It really bugged me that I got it wrong, knowing it was the right answer that I was studying. :lol: