If I did reasonably well on the SAT, will I do well on the ASVAB do you think? I got 1740 overall, 1160 math and reading comprehension only.

I don't think they're really that related. The ASVAB is more 'in depth' than just reading comprehension and math. Not to say it's that difficult, there's just more to it.

I was out of school for a year before taking mine, and managed to reason my way through a lot of stuff that I didn't 'know'/study in school (pulley systems, etc).

If you're concerned, pick up an ASVAB study guide; I think they tend to have practice tests in them that should give you a better idea.

That's not entirely true, CharYou...

As far as the overall test, yeah, the ASVAB is more "in-depth" because it includes sections dedicated to electronics, mechanics, etc. However, the sections that COUNT towards your AFQT (overall) and GT score (for WOFT) are mainly the reading and math sections (4 total), which are not as in-depth as the SAT.

That said, studying never hurts.

I don't think they're really that related. The ASVAB is more 'in depth' than just reading comprehension and math. Not to say it's that difficult, there's just more to it.

I was out of school for a year before taking mine, and managed to reason my way through a lot of stuff that I didn't 'know'/study in school (pulley systems, etc).

If you're concerned, pick up an ASVAB study guide; I think they tend to have practice tests in them that should give you a better idea.

All you will need to worry about for the ASVAB for WOFT purposes is the AFQT and GT. The AFQT consists of Arithmetic Reasoning (AR) + Word Knowledge (WK) + Paragraph Comprehension (PC) + Mathematical Knowledge (MK).

For your General Technical (GT) score, it will consist of AR + WK + PC.

Do not study for any of the stuff as you will be wasting your time. Actually that's only slightly true, by studying for the Mechanical Comprehension section you'll actually be studying for the AFAST as well.

Hope this helps!

That's not entirely true, CharYou...

As far as the overall test, yeah, the ASVAB is more "in-depth" because it includes sections dedicated to electronics, mechanics, etc. However, the sections that COUNT towards your AFQT (overall) and GT score (for WOFT) are mainly the reading and math sections (4 total), which are not as in-depth as the SAT.

That said, studying never hurts.

I stand by my statement, Candidate. :lol:

Since it's been a month or so since I took the ASVAB, I don't rightly remember, but I don't recall much more "math" than 2+2, 8/4, etc. Granted, math on an SAT is harder, but the ASVAB is more...practical? applications of 'math' than solving for "x".

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think that just because you do well on one, you'll do well on the other, or vice-versa. They're really two different tests.

I stand by my statement, Candidate. :lol:

Since it's been a month or so since I took the ASVAB, I don't rightly remember, but I don't recall much more "math" than 2+2, 8/4, etc. Granted, math on an SAT is harder, but the ASVAB is more...practical? applications of 'math' than solving for "x".

I don't disagree with you, I just don't think that just because you do well on one, you'll do well on the other, or vice-versa. They're really two different tests.

Oh, burn! :D

I bow out and concede, Sir!