Ship down in FL...anyone have anymore info?

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/helicopter-crashes-west-of-palm-beach-gardens-757670.html

Heard about it briefly on the news, anyone know what happened? I trained at that school, hoping it's none of my friends.

Well, it sounds like everyone is ok (except for the R22). So even if it is a buddy, they now have a great story to tell, and a new appreciation for life and training.

the trainee and trainer were practicing hovering when the helicopter flipped on its side.

How retarded does this sound?? Now the non-aviation world will be scared that helicopters can just flip on their side while hovering. I hate the media!

How retarded does this sound?? Now the non-aviation world will be scared that helicopters can just flip on their side while hovering. I hate the media!

Ahh, the dreaded SHR. It can happen to the best pilots out there. Spontaneous Hover Rollover effect. We all learn about it in training, most of us are just lucky enough to avoid it. We try not to hover, but to land directly to the ground to avoid the dreaded SHR.

Almost as deadly as VRS.

Not intended to make light of the accident but yes, you have to read anything written by the media with a grain of salt.

Again, glad everyone is ok.

Goldy

What is even more retarded, read some of the post people have posted at the bottom of the page. Yikes!!