Longline hook with Cone

muppetdog

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone used a cutoff traffic cone rigged to stop a little short of the hook to make the hook more visible?

I've seen it done in the training environment; however, I don't recall it being use to any extent in an operational environment.

Edited by iChris

Has anyone used a cutoff traffic cone rigged to stop a little short of the hook to make the hook more visible?

Years ago on the West Coast (BC) i worked for a rigging contractor under a few S-61's and 214B's and they had a cone striped of it's base on top of the hook (made up of two hooks actually). The hook was rather large and painted red and white so it was very visible to begin with but i think the cone made it more so. Given the over all weight of the hook and line as a percentage of total weight of the machine i don't think it mattered too much for weight or for the added parasite drag but this may be a factor for a smaller machine (R-22 ?).

On the flip side you could argue that if you are working in a long lining situation you should be aware that when it gets a bit noisy and windy above you that a line and very solid hook is going to be in the vicinity so look up and around..... But hey, everything you can do to make the operation safer is a good thing. It's always easy in retrospect to say "i can't believe he didn't see it!".

Edited by L3driver

• 4 months later...

On Logging A/C the cone is used to protect the exposed electrical hook wiring from

damage in partial cut timber sales. We started with traffic cones, but later had them

made out of heavier material.