Colorado, here I come.

Hey all,

Well, I'm thinking of taking a big leap and moving out to Denver for the summer, or maybe longer if I really enjoy it and can afford to stay through the fall. Right now, the only thing keeping me from throwing my things in the car and driving is a job. Thus, I turn to you (and Craigslist, but you know how that goes). Does anyone have or know of a job they could hook me up with over there? I'm looking at the Denver, west Denver/Broomfield area, but I'm not really picky. Ideally part-time, maybe 25-35 hours per week, but again, I'll take what I can get!

I might also need a place to crash for a bit while I look for an apartment and (hopefully) get settled with a job.

HeliOps, you bet I'll be stopping by. No money though, so I can't pursue a rating with you guys! Will probably cruise around the other flight schools as well.

Not sure if this post was entirely coherent - no dinner yet and morning coffee has worn off, but I eagerly await your replies!

Thanks a bunch all,

Lindsey

I'm not directly aware of anyone looking, but I'll keep my ear out. If you have any particular area that you're looking for please let me know.

I'm not directly aware of anyone looking, but I'll keep my ear out. If you have any particular area that you're looking for please let me know.

Thanks a bunch, Scott!

I think I'm looking in Denver, or just Northwest or West of it...

You will love Denver and all of Colorado. We never feel the recessions as deep nor stay in them as long. Employment is always better than the rest of the country and average salaries are higher.

It is the best flying in the world. Usually cool, crisp and sunny. Even with the high temps of summer, the lack of humidity keeps it comfortable.

I've been here more than 30 years and have never regretted moving here.

• Like 1

You will love Denver and all of Colorado. We never feel the recessions as deep nor stay in them as long. Employment is always better than the rest of the country and average salaries are higher.

It is the best flying in the world. Usually cool, crisp and sunny. Even with the high temps of summer, the lack of humidity keeps it comfortable.

I've been here more than 30 years and have never regretted moving here.

Yeah, unemployment isn't as bad as Washington State, which is good. I hope I see that translate into a job. :P

Have to agree with milehigh. The flying Colorado is like no other. I loved living and instructing there. Amazing scenery to fly around and a great place to learn to fly. There is one problem with colorado and that is helicopter jobs. They are scarce. If you are able to pay for your own flight time that is one thing. But actually employment in Colorado is tough for up and coming pilots. If you are learning and doing ratings its perfect area. High altitudes teach a type of finess no one can match at sea level; But for actual careers, it's a rough state. There are jobs around, but you are either instructing (which is dificult to get into in CO) or your an ems or eng pilot, all of which require a lot of time due to the operating environment.

Enjoy the state and soak up the beauty! Learn what you can and move on. I'd love to live there again, but employment was a requirement which CO couldn't fill.

Hi Lindsey,

i spoke with the company you asked about, i do know them and they are hiring.. call me and i'll give you the contact information... i'll also stop by there in the next couple of days to follow up.

we look forward to meeting you and going flying, we'll have to go to KAPA for some $500 milk shakes with Jack (if he's not off on one of his secret missions he can pay, he's loaded).. We sincerely encourage you to check out the other local schools as well, and have friends that fly at them so we can tell you who to ask for.. you will love Colorado.

Clay is right, it is harder to get a flying job here in Denver; in the EMS sector lots of pilots want to end up flying here. Two of our friends were hired this year by EMS companies and both had to take jobs out of the State, BOTH of them were offered jobs by TWO different companies (yes it does pay off to train and fly in Denver). They elected to take positions that were as close to home as possible, with hopes of moving into the area within the next year or so, one is driving four hours to work the other seven. If you count John that's three.. :-) sometimes he admits to being my friend!! :-)

Flight schools are even harder, i don't know of any other area school that is hiring, except for from within, and at most there aren't enough students to go around (keep this in mind if you are offered a job.. make SURE there are students for you to train and not a ton of instructors on the schedule.. our guys have flown about 600 hours this year, most of the ones we talk to from other schools have flown WAY less, some only a few hours a month). We talk to a lot of the CFIs from the area and they just aren't flying (I have resumes from many of them). I think besides us, Front Range is doing the best as they have a program with Ames Community College that is helping them grow. We have hired two CFIIs over the past few weeks, but mostly because some of our guys (3) moved on to the Tour sector and are only here every other week now. (YES we encourage them to come back and work on their off hitch, as do their employers.. we all see it as a win-win-win situation).

anyway.. talk to you later, call my cell..

dp

Lindsey,

Vail Resorts Inc has there corporate offices in Broomfield, you may want to check out there web site for job listings. If you are looking in the fall they usually have part time work and you would be next door to HeliOps.

http://skijob1.snow.com/

Have to agree with milehigh. The flying Colorado is like no other. I loved living and instructing there. Amazing scenery to fly around and a great place to learn to fly. There is one problem with colorado and that is helicopter jobs. They are scarce. If you are able to pay for your own flight time that is one thing. But actually employment in Colorado is tough for up and coming pilots. If you are learning and doing ratings its perfect area. High altitudes teach a type of finess no one can match at sea level; But for actual careers, it's a rough state. There are jobs around, but you are either instructing (which is dificult to get into in CO) or your an ems or eng pilot, all of which require a lot of time due to the operating environment.

Enjoy the state and soak up the beauty! Learn what you can and move on. I'd love to live there again, but employment was a requirement which CO couldn't fill.

Thanks for the advice, Clay! I don't really have enough money to really tackle a rating, and I can't quite yet stomach the idea of getting a loan, unless the Army turns me down...then I might take one out to improve my packet. That's good advice though, because one of my other options, if I really like Colorado, is to pursue a slot in the Colorado Army Reserves...but if there are no jobs then what would I be doing when I'm not flying for the Army? Something I'll have to strongly consider, for sure.

And it certainly rains a whole lot less than Washington State.

Oh thank GOD. I love the rain here, but after living in the Northwest for 21 years...it's time to move on.

Hi Lindsey,

i spoke with the company you asked about, i do know them and they are hiring.. call me and i'll give you the contact information... i'll also stop by there in the next couple of days to follow up.

we look forward to meeting you and going flying, we'll have to go to KAPA for some $500 milk shakes with Jack (if he's not off on one of his secret missions he can pay, he's loaded).. We sincerely encourage you to check out the other local schools as well, and have friends that fly at them so we can tell you who to ask for.. you will love Colorado.

Clay is right, it is harder to get a flying job here in Denver; in the EMS sector lots of pilots want to end up flying here. Two of our friends were hired this year by EMS companies and both had to take jobs out of the State, BOTH of them were offered jobs by TWO different companies (yes it does pay off to train and fly in Denver). They elected to take positions that were as close to home as possible, with hopes of moving into the area within the next year or so, one is driving four hours to work the other seven. If you count John that's three.. :-) sometimes he admits to being my friend!! :-)

Flight schools are even harder, i don't know of any other area school that is hiring, except for from within, and at most there aren't enough students to go around (keep this in mind if you are offered a job.. make SURE there are students for you to train and not a ton of instructors on the schedule.. our guys have flown about 600 hours this year, most of the ones we talk to from other schools have flown WAY less, some only a few hours a month). We talk to a lot of the CFIs from the area and they just aren't flying (I have resumes from many of them). I think besides us, Front Range is doing the best as they have a program with Ames Community College that is helping them grow. We have hired two CFIIs over the past few weeks, but mostly because some of our guys (3) moved on to the Tour sector and are only here every other week now. (YES we encourage them to come back and work on their off hitch, as do their employers.. we all see it as a win-win-win situation).

anyway.. talk to you later, call my cell..

dp

I'll give you a call in a couple hours, dp! You rock - thanks for all the help. $500 milkshakes sound phenomenal.

Lindsey,

Vail Resorts Inc has there corporate offices in Broomfield, you may want to check out there web site for job listings. If you are looking in the fall they usually have part time work and you would be next door to HeliOps.

http://skijob1.snow.com/

Thanks, Snowman! I'll look into that if this other gig doesn't work out.

Lindsey,

As a married guy with children and a pretty good career (Police) I must say I envy your decision and am slightly jealous. I love my life, but sometimes I with I could explore and travel at the drop of a dime. I hope it all works out for you, but if you don't accomplish what you want to accomplish there then keep your head up and feel proud that you gave it a shot. I don't respond a lot on these posts, but I am that guy who reads everything. It seems like you have a good head on your shoulders and will succeed in whatever you do. The Army will be proud to have you I'm sure. Good Luck

Kyle

Hi Lindsey,

dp

Of course I admit that you're my friend.

P.s. And I drive 9 hours to beautiful Hobbs, NM.

Lindsey,

As a married guy with children and a pretty good career (Police) I must say I envy your decision and am slightly jealous. I love my life, but sometimes I with I could explore and travel at the drop of a dime. I hope it all works out for you, but if you don't accomplish what you want to accomplish there then keep your head up and feel proud that you gave it a shot. I don't respond a lot on these posts, but I am that guy who reads everything. It seems like you have a good head on your shoulders and will succeed in whatever you do. The Army will be proud to have you I'm sure. Good Luck

Kyle

I sincerely appreciate the compliments and encouragement, Kyle. Trying to balance the need to explore/travel and gain new experiences with responsibility is tough in this economy. I could beg my parents into helping me pay for everything, but that's not who I am. Finding a job out there is going to be very difficult, and I really hope it works out. I'm young, but many of my friends have gone and done similar things, and I always sat back in envy, so this is very exciting that this might be my chance!

I'm always willing to learn, and appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks for your service as a Police Officer as well - that is a very noble and difficult career. I live 10 miles from where those four Lakewood, WA police officers were shot in their seats at the local coffee shop last winter. That event and the resulting overwhelming response of other (and very far away) police agencies was incredible. I'm going off on a tangent now, but thanks for your kind words.

Of course I admit that you're my friend.

P.s. And I drive 9 hours to beautiful Hobbs, NM.

Dennis is great.

And 9 hours? That's awe-inspiring! Beautiful drive, though, I bet.