future prospects.

Great story Permison and hats off to you sir.

I have to agree with Spike and Permison. It can take a huge amount of effort to get that first job. Just sending out resumes will not cut the mustard. You have to show up and get to know people. My first job at Bristow came easy, fortunately. I got offered the job straight after I finished my CFI. It was about timing too. I moved out to Cali when my visa ended at Bristow and I got a job at another flight school. This one didnt work out o well but it was some more experience and some extra flight time. I left that job and moved back to Florida and stayed unemployed for about 6-7 months. I worked fairly hard at getting a job but it was tough, even with the people I now knew in the industry.

My current job came through a contact that I knew from back in Ireland, who had purchased my parents house about 6 years prior. Funny how things work out. He is an ex-mil pilot who knew a guy, who knew a guy.

It all worked out great for me and I am so happy. I got really lucky with my new job flying ag and utility. The company is fantastic in every way and I'm learning lots.

One thing about people that complain about not having a job is that usually they don't have the right personality or attitude. I know lots of guys who can fly a helicopter but I wouldn't hire them if they paid me. Some people just aren't meant for this career.

Butters,

...You have to get creative.,...You need to find your own way to stand out in the crowd.

I fully understand that you have to “set yourself apart” in order to get noticed. The thing is…so does everyone else. If everyone is thinking “outside the box”, then different becomes the norm.

At the Career Seminar a couple of years ago, One thing I’ll always remember is how everyone looked exactly the same! They did say to dress as if for an interview, but damn,…it was like being in a large room of clones! I thought to myself,…if only I had considered this earlier, I would have shown up in a t-shirt, cutoffs, and flipflops. :o Sure, its not business attire, but I would have gotten noticed (and more importantly, remembered)!

I hated those seminars, as well as Heliexpo. How can you start a memorable conversation with (or even get noticed by) an employer, when everyone there is asking the same questions, having the same conversation as I am? :huh: At times I felt as if they should just put one of those ticker machines out at each booth, so we could all take a number, waiting for them to say... “next”.

I called my old school once, after all they did say they had job placement assistance, they said they couldn’t help me. CAP didn’t seem interested either, or the Nat. Guard, or even the Peace Corps.

When the rental company got an R44, I offered my services to them (considering I had more R44 time than their Cfis). I thought they could at least use me as a back-up pilot. They basically told me “get in line”. As for using their helicopters for photo flights, I don’t know of any rental company that allows that (they have their own Cfis for that type of stuff, they don’t need me).

I have also tried a rather well known ENG company. Several times over the years they have posted ads for pilots flying out of the same airport as I already do, flying over the same city as I have (for several hundred hours). They’re never interested, not even as a back-up, when someone is sick, and of course, not as an un-paid intern. No one is interested in internships!

I’ve even tried getting a job re-fueling aircraft, but, of course, they only hire people with experience.

I understand that this is an overcrowded industry, and you have to literally jump through hoops to get noticed. However, I’m in my fifth year now, and I’ve lost all hope. The dreams of spending my days flying tourists around in Vegas (and eventually Hawaii) don’t come anymore, and well…“pardon my French”, but,...I’m tired of trying to find who’s dick I have to suck to get a job! <_<

I seem to have lost interest in flying for a living?

One thing is for sure, if I had known it was this impossibly hard to get in,(as opposed to the stories of a pilot shortage, and plenty of jobs) :angry: , I never would have tried. I would have just gotten my Recreational license, and moved on with my life. I guess that means I just don’t want it badly enough?

Anyway, I’m done. :)

At the Career Seminar a couple of years ago, One thing I’ll always remember is how everyone looked exactly the same! They did say to dress as if for an interview, but damn,…it was like being in a large room of clones! I thought to myself,…if only I had considered this earlier, I would have shown up in a t-shirt, cutoffs, and flipflops. :o Sure, its not business attire, but I would have gotten noticed (and more importantly, remembered)!

You'll surely be remembered if you did that, but not in the manner you wanted. On the utility side I have seen a lot of pilots hired who showed up for the interview in slacks, shirt and work boots. Clean, neat and ready to go to work. They had their documents ready and available.

Permison,

We’ve traveled the same road my friend…..

As you may know, stories are the coat-hangers’ for the memory so thanks for sharing and helping those who choose to heed the advice.

What these folks must understand, it takes hard work to succeed in this business. If you’re not willing to put in what it takes, then success will be fleeting. If you don’t know what it takes, then I suggest finding out before proceeding. It’s like a forced landing. If you look ahead and have nowhere to go, then why continue to go there?

A story; at my first CFI gig, a tall, skinny, pimple-faced, teenager would come by and hang around just because he liked helicopters. One day, the owner finally gave him a job literally sweeping the hanger floors. Today, he is a S76 & MD902 Captain flying for one of the richest men in the world. How did he do it? You and I have already explained how…………

Spike

I fully understand that you have to “set yourself apart” in order to get noticed. The thing is…so does everyone else. If everyone is thinking “outside the box”, then different becomes the norm.

I hated those seminars, as well as Heliexpo. How can you start a memorable conversation with (or even get noticed by) an employer, when everyone there is asking the same questions, having the same conversation as I am? :huh: At times I felt as if they should just put one of those ticker machines out at each booth, so we could all take a number, waiting for them to say... “next”.

I called my old school once, after all they did say they had job placement assistance, they said they couldn’t help me. CAP didn’t seem interested either, or the Nat. Guard, or even the Peace Corps.

When the rental company got an R44, I offered my services to them (considering I had more R44 time than their Cfis). I thought they could at least use me as a back-up pilot. They basically told me “get in line”. As for using their helicopters for photo flights, I don’t know of any rental company that allows that (they have their own Cfis for that type of stuff, they don’t need me).

I have also tried a rather well known ENG company. Several times over the years they have posted ads for pilots flying out of the same airport as I already do, flying over the same city as I have (for several hundred hours). They’re never interested, not even as a back-up, when someone is sick, and of course, not as an un-paid intern. No one is interested in internships!

I’ve even tried getting a job re-fueling aircraft, but, of course, they only hire people with experience.

I understand that this is an overcrowded industry, and you have to literally jump through hoops to get noticed. However, I’m in my fifth year now, and I’ve lost all hope. The dreams of spending my days flying tourists around in Vegas (and eventually Hawaii) don’t come anymore, and well…“pardon my French”, but,...I’m tired of trying to find who’s dick I have to suck to get a job! <_<

I seem to have lost interest in flying for a living?

One thing is for sure, if I had known it was this impossibly hard to get in,(as opposed to the stories of a pilot shortage, and plenty of jobs) :angry: , I never would have tried. I would have just gotten my Recreational license, and moved on with my life. I guess that means I just don’t want it badly enough?

Anyway, I’m done. :)

Butters,

Please understand each and every one of us has been in your shoes at one time or another. That is, unemployed and frustrated by the deck this business had dealt us. I can tell you, it’s how you proceed from this point that makes or breaks your success. However, it appears it’s not going to happen for you, but for the sake of others, I want clarify a few things.

Setting yourself apart and thinking outside the box is only limited by your imagination AND has little to do with what you’re wearing. Me, I spent two-and-a-half years at an Adult Education night-school after working a full-time daytime job in order to get my A&P Certificate. Did this set me apart? You bet, and is a reason why I have little tolerance for the excuses I hear.

Seminars and HeliExpo’s should not be seen as a place to GET a job but rather a place to NETWORK which may lead to a job. If someone does get a job at these events, then that is the exception and not the norm. If you walk in with a “get” mindset, you’re not “working” the crowd properly.

Internships do not exist and suggesting how they may benefit an operator is viewed as a con.

As far as refueling, I know quite a few people who’ve been hired as an a/c refueler without experience. In fact, I was hired at a major International Airport FBO with ZERO refueling experience.

I can say without a doubt your “pardon my French” statement is so far off-base that it leads to possibly of the reason why you’re having trouble finding a job. Plus, I see this as an insult to those of us who have succeeded because we’ve NEVER had to stoop to such a level to get where we are today.

Your last paragraph is a testament of why it is so important to thoroughly research this business before you jump in. Furthermore, even after the first flight, you need to continue to sift through the BS and decide if you should continue. Only a fool would say, “I shouldn’t have done this”, after forking out thousands of dollars and spending the amount time it takes to become a CFII. Believe me, there are folks reading this in hopes people like you step aside. They’ll see this as an opportunity as there will one be less resume on the stack......

Edited by Spike

Butters,

I feel your pain. I know it's tough right now. However I strongly suggest you delete your last post. Unlike what happens in Vegas, posts on the Internet tend to get around.

However, two specific things I want to comment about in your post.

1. CAP

The Civil Air Patrol is not a job you apply for. It is community service. They are not going to be interested in you, you are going to be interested in doing good for your community so you join CAP. Not for what they can do for you (although they can do a lot), but what you can do for your community. CAP flies over 70% of all Air Force missions. You get free or nearly free access to very expensive aircraft. I pay $45 an hour wet for a plane that would run over $150 if I rent it at the local FBO. And I get free flight training (And so much more). I don't have to commit to anything. You get out of CAP what you put into it. And remember if you go down somewhere guess who comes to find you.

2. Networking

Networking is not about what other people can do for you, again it's about being part of a community and being a contributing member. This is an often misunderstood concept. During my career in IT I can't tell you how many times some kid fresh out of high school who got a career as a recruiter and didn't have enough sense to do a proper resume search and would call me up just to use my contacts. I had a pretty well respected name in the industry and people were always trying to use my contacts, and rarely did I get any benefit out of it. But more often than not I helped someone get a job and that made it worth it. People knew they could call me when they were looking for specific hard to find IT people.

Networking is about being part of a community. Just like here on VR.com. By being a regular poster here you are networking. Imagine that! When people get to know you they tend to open up and if you are helpful they will return the favor. Don't go to events like Heliexpo with the mindset that you are just looking for a job, go to it with the mindset you are going to hang out with the highest form of life on the earth. "Pilots" (yeah yeah I know what you were thinking, not everyone in Denver is 420 friendly).

Think of networking like going to a bar. You're just there to have some company and socialize. It's like picking up a woman (I am assuming you're a man, I've been wrong before, funny story, but not going to tell it here). When you go to a bar to pick up women and you look desperate or have that weird piercing glaze, it tends to put people off. You clearly are only after one thing....We all know one of these guys. (Heck I was one)

But if you go to the bar to just hang out and relax and you're fun to talk to. People will warm up to you. Over time you will become a staple and people will gravitate to you. But you've got to offer a compelling reason. Like jokes or bar tricks or random historical facts (that may or may not be true). I knew a guy who used to bring tarot cards to a bar and women were lining up to get their fortune read (along with a few other things).

Airports can be the same thing. Go hang out at the local FBO. Offer to teach a ground school course, bet someone will give you free space to do so at the airport. Give something back to the community. It's not going to put money in your pocket today, but it will get your name out there. Go put a flight suit on (you'll look like you belong), walk the flight line and talk with owners about their aircraft. Nearly every time I go hang out at the airport I get into a long conversation with someone about airplanes. (I met the owner of one of the last flying Electra's that way). Pilots love to talk (hell most of the time you can't get them to shut the hell up). Pretty soon you'll be the guy everyone knows at the airport. That's real networking. And as many have said, it works.

Don't hesitate to PM me if you need to talk.

Echo Papa,

You asked if the plunge was "worth it", not if it "was easy". No, it is not easy. There is a lot of personal development involved in becoming a pilot. Fortunately, it's the kind of development you get to take with you wherever you go. Things like persistence, self reliance, courage, planning, communication skills, etc. You will learn many skills that are useful everywhere and add to your life.

So in order to get a CFI job, you need to go recruit 4-5 students that will fly with you until you have the experience to go somewhere else and then leave the 4-5 of them fighting over your one job that is only there if they can recruit 4-5 more students to fly with them.

Am I the only one who sees the flawed logic in this? Using that formula, in order to produce 100 pilots with bare minimum 1000 hours to be somewhat employable you would need 400 students minimum from 0-CFI. So as a CFI, you are supposed to not only be a part of the pyramid, you're supposed to recruit people in! All while making crap wages!Where do I sign up?

• Like 3

OK, it always frustrates me when people go off on the helicopter industry not having a 100% success rate... What industry has a 100% success rate? Please tell me because I'm going to give up on the uncertainty of helicopters and do that....

Students who apply themselves and have the ability will go far. People who slack off, are incapable, have a bad attitude, or any combination of these might find it hard to make it in this business.....

Also, when you talk about the 4 students an instructor needs to teach to reach 1000 hrs and move on, you forget how many private only students there are, as well as students who just drop off the face of the earth.... Maybe I have a positive attitude in this business because I love it and it has treated me well. Sure, I work 7 days a week for bad pay. I still enjoy it.

As for the OP, don't let the naysayers turn you away from your dream. If you want it bad enough and you have the ability, you probably have a 50% chance to do well in this business.... Not bad when you look at most careers out there and the odds at succeeding at them.....

OK, it always frustrates me when people go off on the helicopter industry not having a 100% success rate... What industry has a 100% success rate? Please tell me because I'm going to give up on the uncertainty of helicopters and do that....

Students who apply themselves and have the ability will go far. People who slack off, are incapable, have a bad attitude, or any combination of these might find it hard to make it in this business.....

Also, when you talk about the 4 students an instructor needs to teach to reach 1000 hrs and move on, you forget how many private only students there are, as well as students who just drop off the face of the earth.... Maybe I have a positive attitude in this business because I love it and it has treated me well. Sure, I work 7 days a week for bad pay. I still enjoy it.

As for the OP, don't let the naysayers turn you away from your dream. If you want it bad enough and you have the ability, you probably have a 50% chance to do well in this business.... Not bad when you look at most careers out there and the odds at succeeding at them.....

ahhh, finally a breath of fresh air..

thanks Inferno!!

aloha,

dp

• Like 1

Agree to the above. It's a long road. But doable if ya really want it. Read some of DPs posts to get a good insight on what the training industry Is like. Usually he is spot on. Hard work and networking are the two keys. Who u know is a definate benefit in this industry. Never burn a bridge either, I've gotten a few emails from past aquantences that want a resume forwarded in, and I'm hesitant to do it. Because believe it or not, it's hard as helll to get in without someone already in putting a resume to the CP. I had a long road to that first job, but boy is it a good feeling once you get there. Every step you take and milestone you reach will stick forever. I can tell you the N number, and name of the person I took on a discovery flight for my first paid flight. What an amazing feeling! First helicopter I took a lesson in. First turbine. First 135 ride. You name it! Very satisfying career thus far and wouldn't change anything. GO FOR IT!

Edited by clay
  • Like 1

Permison, damn, can I just copy and paste your posts as my reply? Too bad VR doesnt have a "like it" feature!

Fly Safe,

Goldy

• Like 1

I know I said that I was… “done” :huh: , but after reading more of these posts, I’ve come to the conclusion that,…you all are right. Its totally my fault that I can’t find a job!

Obviously I don’t want it badly enough, otherwise I’d have a job.

Of course I haven’t worked hard enough, if I had, I’d have a job.

I guess I’ve never really applied myself, otherwise I’d have a job.

I slack off quite a bit,…but what can I say, Al Bundy is my hero!

Everything I’ve tried has failed, so yes, I’m incapable.

I do have a “bad attitude”. After years of rejection I can’t help but feel worthless, defeated, discouraged, and yes, bitter. Although I hide these feelings, put on a smile, and try to keep the conversation as positive as I can while attempting to “Network”. However maybe, somehow, my beat down, negative, soul comes through anyway?

Yes, I was mislead by school recruiters, and ‘time hungry’ Cfis, that there was a “shortage of pilots“, and “jobs were plentiful“, but… it was my fault for trusting them!

One thing I’ve definitely noticed on this forum is that, those who have jobs are always saying “it was worth it”, and “go for it”, and those of us without jobs are always saying “don‘t get your hopes up“, and “you‘d have a better chance at winning the lottery (without buying a ticket), than finding a job.

I guess if somehow I found a job, I would probably be saying “it was worth it”, and “if you try hard enough, dreams can come true”, however, while lying in a ditch, just past the end of the runway, with a sign taped to my chest, “will fly for food”, its hard to stay optimistic.

I’ve never really considered myself one of the “naysayers”. My generally negative viewpoint comes from my basic philosophy of “plan for the worst, hope for the best”. If this is truly your “dream”, than who am I to say, “don’t do it”. I just think “newbies” should be prepared for the possibility that, in such an overcrowded industry, you may never find a job, and piloting skills are worthless in the outside world, so have a backup!

Although I love ‘sarcasm’, I’m not blaming anyone for my situation. I guess I was just looking for some sympathy,…and to vent some frustration. :)

• Like 1

One thing is for sure... it's easy to get down on yourself if you think about it too hard. There most certainly ARE jobs out there. Most of them are not on VertRef. Quite a few are only available if you're the right person at the right time. Luck is a huge factor. Thinking about that used to get me down. God, it used to depress the hell out of me, thinking about all the other applicants out there vying for the same entry level gig with crap pay. Nowdays I'm of the mindset that eventually I WILL find a job. It's inevitable.

I'm still flying, still reading up on the regs, I'm getting my fixed wing add-ons up to MEI, I'm going to join CAP once I've got a ASEL rating under my belt. Things WILL happen for me, but only because I refuse to budge. I figure there are two factors necessary to get a start in this industry. One is experience. When it comes to your first gig, that's a moot point as everyone has pretty much the same experience and ratings. The other is luck, which is to say it's a numbers game. It could be a month before you get a job, it could be a year. The question you have to ask yourself is can you and those close to you deal with that uncertainty?

So in order to get a CFI job, you need to go recruit 4-5 students that will fly with you until you have the experience to go somewhere else and then leave the 4-5 of them fighting over your one job that is only there if they can recruit 4-5 more students to fly with them.

Am I the only one who sees the flawed logic in this? Using that formula, in order to produce 100 pilots with bare minimum 1000 hours to be somewhat employable you would need 400 students minimum from 0-CFI. So as a CFI, you are supposed to not only be a part of the pyramid, you're supposed to recruit people in! All while making crap wages!Where do I sign up?

Do all students who go to, not necessarily graduate from, Medical School become Doctors? Is the education system itself a pyramid scheme? I dont think so. Pyramid schemes are a con. Flight training is a service providing an education and nothing more. The education provided is flight training. The flight training is needed to gain the required certification to gain work as a pilot within the industry. If not, I wouldnt be here today, as a 7000 hour pilot making more than 6 digits.

As far as flight schools are concerned, not all students want to become professional pilots nor do all students have the ability to become professional pilots. And, not all flights from a flight school are training flights. Thus the service ultimately provided.

Heres a fact; in the mid 80s a small flight school started up in Northern California called Helicopter Adventures Inc. (HAI). By the early 90s this school was pumping out pilots left and right and at the time, could be assumed as a pyramid scheme as you describe here today. However, approximately 25 years later, HAI was bought-out by Bristow Helicopters Inc. and continues to this day to provide flight training necessary to become a professional helicopter pilot. This is a no doubt a business plan and not a pyramid scheme by any stretch of the imagination.

The fact is; jobs in this industry are produced by many factors. The one most singular factor is; industry burn-out. The notorious low pay coupled with poor career decision making, along with less than desirable management philosophies contribute to an all well known, job burn-out exodus. For some, flying helicopters becomes just a J-O-B, and for many, the realization its time to bug-out comes quickly.

Fortunately, when this happens, multiple doors open up. As one pilot from a top level position splits, a mid-level guy moves up and then a low-level guy moves up and this ultimately leaves a vacant entry level position. The cycle is perpetuated at any level anytime anyone leaves the industry. And while I mentioned job burn-out as one reason why some pilots leave this industry, there are plenty of other reasons as well. To name a few; retirement, injury, loss of medical, FAA violation action, accident, next career, marriage, better opportunity, more money, etc, etc. This is what generates the cycle (read circle not triangle). If you find you do not have the motivation required to penetrate the cycle, then this business is not for you………

Over the years, Im convinced no matter what is said, people will choose to believe what they want to believe. Im here to say, while the SSH fiasco (pyramided scheme) was a killer; it wasnt a bad business plan. The execution was poor and the management was probably criminal. The fact is, in the end, the people who were victimized by SSH didnt listen to the inside industry professionals who warned of SSH non-conformity and that was undeniably understood as, dont go there…

Without a doubt, this business is what YOU make of it. PERIOD……

Edited by Spike
  • Like 1

I know I said that I was… “done” :huh: , but after reading more of these posts, I’ve come to the conclusion that,…you all are right. Its totally my fault that I can’t find a job!

Obviously I don’t want it badly enough, otherwise I’d have a job.

Of course I haven’t worked hard enough, if I had, I’d have a job.

I guess I’ve never really applied myself, otherwise I’d have a job.

I slack off quite a bit,…but what can I say, Al Bundy is my hero!

Everything I’ve tried has failed, so yes, I’m incapable.

I do have a “bad attitude”. After years of rejection I can’t help but feel worthless, defeated, discouraged, and yes, bitter. Although I hide these feelings, put on a smile, and try to keep the conversation as positive as I can while attempting to “Network”. However maybe, somehow, my beat down, negative, soul comes through anyway?

Yes, I was mislead by school recruiters, and ‘time hungry’ Cfis, that there was a “shortage of pilots“, and “jobs were plentiful“, but… it was my fault for trusting them!

One thing I’ve definitely noticed on this forum is that, those who have jobs are always saying “it was worth it”, and “go for it”, and those of us without jobs are always saying “don‘t get your hopes up“, and “you‘d have a better chance at winning the lottery (without buying a ticket), than finding a job.

I guess if somehow I found a job, I would probably be saying “it was worth it”, and “if you try hard enough, dreams can come true”, however, while lying in a ditch, just past the end of the runway, with a sign taped to my chest, “will fly for food”, its hard to stay optimistic.

I’ve never really considered myself one of the “naysayers”. My generally negative viewpoint comes from my basic philosophy of “plan for the worst, hope for the best”. If this is truly your “dream”, than who am I to say, “don’t do it”. I just think “newbies” should be prepared for the possibility that, in such an overcrowded industry, you may never find a job, and piloting skills are worthless in the outside world, so have a backup!

Although I love ‘sarcasm’, I’m not blaming anyone for my situation. I guess I was just looking for some sympathy,…and to vent some frustration. :)

Dude,

While, you will not get any sympathy from me, I truly hope you stick with it and years from now come back to this website as a 412 pilot and tell your amazing story to those who doubt their futures.

Seriously, I’m a no-one, but PM me if you wish.

Keep the faith….

Spike

• Like 1

For those of you folks out there that are new to the dream and trying to figure this out, i was reading this other topic and found some good stuff there... one comment that really stood out to me was the one about the payment not being a problem since the pilot was working in the GOM, but, he goes on to say that if he wasn't working, the payment would be an issue after only a couple of months. If you are considering the loan route, you should think long and hard about it, and realize that if you don't get hired right after training, for any reason, those loan payments are going to be hard to take.

http://helicopterforum.verticalreference.com/helicopterforum/index.php?/topic/13392-paying-for-loans/

'Butters' also says;

""I just think “newbies” should be prepared for the possibility that, in such an overcrowded industry, you may never find a job, and piloting skills are worthless in the outside world, so have a backup!""

I think that should be part of your plan whether the industry you are working towards is crowded or not.. have a back-up.. one of my favorite sayings is;

'pray to God, but keep rowing to shore!'

dp

• Like 1

For those of you folks out there that are new to the dream and trying to figure this out, i was reading this other topic and found some good stuff there... one comment that really stood out to me was the one about the payment not being a problem since the pilot was working in the GOM, but, he goes on to say that if he wasn't working, the payment would be an issue after only a couple of months. If you are considering the loan route, you should think long and hard about it, and realize that if you don't get hired right after training, for any reason, those loan payments are going to be hard to take.

Quoted for truth.

• Like 1

EchoPapa

How do feel about the future prospects? Read trade publications for the current and future statues of the industry.

If you decide to go forward with flight training ensure you fly with an instructor that matches your learning style. Set your standards high for these people, after all you’re going to paying them a lot of money and intrusting your safety to them.

My advice when selecting an instructor is to be on the lookout for undesirable CFI traits that will result in frustration and wasted money. Attached is an article from the AOPA written for CFI’s about undesirable personal and teaching conduct - use it as a guide. Take the plunge and good luck with your endeavor.

One more thing, you might want to get some time on a remote control helicopter. UAVs are the future. :o

It's OK to vent and ask for sympathy, but don't be surprised if you don't get any. I was born the "wrong" gender and the first thing I had to learn was how to ignore barriers and disappointments. When I get angry I buy another pair of shoes.

• Like 1

I have already moved once for training and am ready to move again, Kansas blows. I knew I had no choice after 15yrs of dreaming, 5yrs of hoping, and two years of trying to get the ball rolling. At that time, now almost 1 yr ago, I actually decided to give up. I was so crazy about the dream it was starting to cause trouble in my marriage. I took down all my posters, packed away two years worth of heli mags, my rc heli's and my model helis, everything. About a week later, I was sick and nauseous. I had no will to live, almost literally. That is when I said "To Hell With It, I will be a heli pilot if it is the last thing I do before I die." I pulled my ass out of the gutter and set my mind to work. I have spent the last 10yrs doing jobs I hated and jobs that were cool for a little while, I have never done what I WANTED. I flashed forward to my golden years and thought to myself "you only live once and no way do I want to look back over my life and regret not going for my dream". For me it truly is a calling, always has been. I used to want to be rich, and I came close for a while, a couple of times. If you want to fly just because you think it would be "cool", or to make a load of cash, maybe don't do it. If you have been trying to talk yourself out of it for a few years because of the risk, have helicopters tattooed on your body, helicopter "stuff" in every room of your house and in your car, and buy your kids helicopter toys every chance you get, then the decision may have already been made.

P.S. Have you been in a helicopter yet?

Hey Dp!!! Come on! Give Butters a job!

Thanks dude, that gave me a good laugh! :lol:

I hope we've scared EchoPapa enough to at least go to college and build a good back-up career first? ;)

Wow, this is a really fascinating thread. Myself and so many newly-minted CFI's I know are in this position; and reading all the advice, real-world stories, and even just the commiseration is very helpful. Indeed it seems we all must remain optimistic, but at the same time develop our own strategies to seek that next step and stay alive and sane during the process!

Thanks to all the posters...