Day in the Life: Flight School

Brings back memories, especially the BCS (Basic Combat Skills) maps..what a complete pain. My stick buddy lost his set the first flight as he pulled them from underneath his seat (OH58A with doors off). He was pleading with the IP to turn around in the corridor to retrieve them but they were one-way corridors. We all had a great laugh at his expense and then teamed up to make him a new set.

Brings back memories, especially the BCS (Basic Combat Skills) maps..what a complete pain. My stick buddy lost his set the first flight as he pulled them from underneath his seat (OH58A with doors off). He was pleading with the IP to turn around in the corridor to retrieve them but they were one-way corridors. We all had a great laugh at his expense and then teamed up to make him a new set.

Heh...ahh...the ausy fold. I lost mine out the window and nearly broke my arm trying to keep it. Then when I borrowed someone elses map from an older class and updated it I got in trouble.

Permison,

Yeah, I remember how anal they were about each student making their own maps. My ausy fold tuned into a big mess. They worked but were nothing to look at. When did you go through?

Some students in my class paid people around $250 to make the maps for them. I made my own because I was terrified of getting caught in an Honer code violation. It took me literally a solid week and a half to plot all the hazards, cut, fold, and paste the thing together. It was a mess but it did the job. If you had an outstanding IP like I did, you got good at memorizing the routes the night before and only referencing your TDH card during the flight. BWS was the funnest part of IERW and I wish I could go back and do it again!

Permison,

We had some overlap. I started flight training (after OBC Phase I) in November 1991 and graduated in August 1992. I then completed OBC Phase III and went through the AH-64A transition. Didn't leave good old Mother Rucker until December 1992.