Helicopter Evasive Manoeuvers

Hi all,

I am trying to consolidate information from all helicopter military pilot users on Helicopter Evasive Manoeuvers from ground threats.

I will Appreciate it, if you guys are able to send me information on any threat reaction to ground threats ( ADA units , RPG , MANPADS, Tanks, Artillery ) .

Please direct me where i can find the informations which i need to draft out an Helicopter Evasive Manual.

Appreciate it!

Hi all,

I am trying to consolidate information from all helicopter military pilot users on Helicopter Evasive Manoeuvers from ground threats.

I will Appreciate it, if you guys are able to send me information on any threat reaction to ground threats ( ADA units , RPG , MANPADS, Tanks, Artillery ) .

Please direct me where i can find the informations which i need to draft out an Helicopter Evasive Manual.

Appreciate it!

Are you...joking? First post on the forums, no introduction, and you ask for stuff like this? Why do you need to draft a Helicopter Evasive Manual? Unless you are planning on flying through flocks of birds.

:lol: WOW! :blink: Talk about a first post for the record books! You might as well have posted asking for everyones social security number. :huh: Where do I begin? First, being a ex-military aviator I can tell you few who are really knowledgeable are probably going to share that, as it is tactics and information which could be used against US forces. Second, Who are you. Third, I don't seem to recall that being part of the normal operating procedures for civilian helicopters. Why do you need to make a helicopter evasive manual? Fifth, where would you be flying where you might need it?

I'm sure with good reason someone might be open to sharing some information but if you are serious I would give a little more info about yourself and why you need it. Your first post here asking for sensitive military info leads one to question who you are and what your motives are.

Remember, there is no "I" in "Team America".

terroists are everywhere....... :lol:

From what I.N.T.E.L.L.I.G.N.C.E has gathered, it would be 9/11 times 100.

9/11 times a hundred? Jesus, that's...

Yes, 91,100.

Basically, all the worst parts of the bible.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

How is asking about Helicopter Evasive maneuvers sensitive military information???????????????????????????????????????????

I mean, I understand people questioning a guy that comes on here and asks a weird question like that but it is hardly sensitive material. The manual on "how to crash a helicopter" was a military publication and everyone has a copy. Does that mean that "terrorists" will be able to knock down buildings with a helicopter, doubtful! I think people want to shoot down a helicopter have a pretty good idea what they can do to avoid it. Unless the helicopter can time shift and disappear with some secret technology that the military has developed that no-one knows about!!

Rant over!!

Looking at all my "assigned" FM or military manuals, the front cover of each and every one has the following or similar statement depending on the year of publication.

Distribution Restriction: Distribution authorized to the DOD and DOD contractors only to maintain operations

security. This determination was made on 1 April 2004. Other requests for this document must be referred to

Commander, US Army Combined Arms Center and Fort Leavenworth, ATTN: ATZL-CD (FMI 3-07.22), 1 Reynolds

Avenue (Building 111), Fort Leavenworth, KS 66027-1352.

Destruction Notice: Destroy by any method that will prevent disclosure of contents or reconstruction of the

document.

This includes the manuals that cover specificly the topic the original poster requests. So "NO" he can't have it. :P And its a good bet anyone who provides said information will be guilty of a crime (which one I don't know but I bet there are a few to choose from)

Do I think he is a terroist? No, but it's pretty stupid to request this like he did. First post and all. And amoung the current and former military on VR.com it was a good bet he was going to get a hard time for it. The poster is probably a young kid who is just looking to play soldier boy with his xbox.

Care to jump back on your soap box? You'd make a pretty good target way up there. :D

It is part of our military tactics, and last time I checked, you don't just go sharing all of your military tactics with everyone around the globe. It is however information that an enemy could potentially use against our military aircraft deployed in combat zones.

There are certain maneuvers that military pilots/crews of all aircraft train for to help avoid and evade enemy fire from the ground or from the air. I know this because I spent five years crewing military helicopters for the Army, two of which were spent overseas in both Iraq and Afghanistan.

Edited by RagMan

I am assuming this is the pub you are refering too. http://fireheli.com/Files/howtocrashahelicopter.pdf

This is not a manual on how to shoot down a helicopter and is public information provided by the US Army on how to survive a helicopter crash and not part of "Military Tactics". Big difference from how we avoid and defend against enemy action.

I think this is a valid question. I have less than 200 heli hours and have had a model rocket narrowly miss us. We were at 500 ft agl and the rocket continued upward to about 2000 ft. I've also had near misses with RC model airplanes on two occasions. Friends flying airplanes have been hit by bullets. I live near Los Angeles.

I think this is a valid question. I have less than 200 heli hours and have had a model rocket narrowly miss us. We were at 500 ft agl and the rocket continued upward to about 2000 ft. I've also had near misses with RC model airplanes on two occasions. Friends flying airplanes have been hit by bullets. I live near Los Angeles.

It seems to me he's not asking about that. He asks for avoiding stuff like:

ADA units , RPG , MANPADS, Tanks, Artillery

I'm not saying he isn't a valid dude. I'm saying (as are most) that this first as a post is incredibly sketchy.

Hi all,

Appreciate it!

Not to mention his/her grammar leaves a lot to be desired, which leads me to believe English is a second language for him/her. it would be exceedingly irresponsible to provide anything of a potentially sensitive nature to a foreign national, without knowing who they are, why they want it and how they intend to use it.

"OPSEC: As defined in NSDD 298, OPSEC is a systematic and proven process by which the U.S. Government and its supporting contractors can deny to potential adversaries information about capabilities and intentions by identifying, controlling, and protecting generally unclassified evidence of the planning and execution of sensitive Government activities."

Though I will add this topic is interesting to me. Maybe not so much the maneuvering of the helicopter, but the other ways to counter the threat. I was just reading online about some pretty amazing technology the defense industry is coming up with to deal with RPG's. Ever since watching Black Hawk Down it bothered me that helicopters were so vulnerable to RPG's, especially since they are so low tech and easily obtainable by a lot of the bad guys.

Edited by rjl2001

It makes my heart smile to see the (general) reaction to a question like this.

For those of you confused:

if someone knows how I react to x, then they can set themselves to be in a position so that when I react, I'm suddenly in position to be involved with a second member of their group, or a third.

You already know how to avoid birds, you've been doing it your whole flying career. Model rockets? You avoided that once, keep doing that same thing.

Aircraft hit by bullets? You might want to report that to authorities, same as if you were lased. If someone IS firing at you, it's unlikely that it's a complex ambush, and you'll want to depart the area in the most expeditious manner possible.

It makes my heart smile to see the (general) reaction to a question like this.

For those of you confused:

if someone knows how I react to x, then they can set themselves to be in a position so that when I react, I'm suddenly in position to be involved with a second member of their group, or a third.

You already know how to avoid birds, you've been doing it your whole flying career. Model rockets? You avoided that once, keep doing that same thing.

Aircraft hit by bullets? You might want to report that to authorities, same as if you were lased. If someone IS firing at you, it's unlikely that it's a complex ambush, and you'll want to depart the area in the most expeditious manner possible.

I’m still confused. :)