Coast Guard MH-60 Jayhawk down

We had one of our "Hawks" fly through that exact area about an hour before that happened. I've flown through that area before and have seen the wires. About 350-400' above the water. It was a beautiful day and I'm sure they were "sightseeing" and didn't even have a chance of seeing the wires.

Condolences to the families and the best of luck to the survivor.

Edited by Stickthief

• 3 weeks later...

First off, this is indeed sad news, and condolences to the families. But I have to play the devils advocate here also. The crew was on a ferry flight from Astoria, OR to Sitka Alaska after training was complete at CGAS Astoria. What are they doing flying at 250 ft AGL in an area they are unfamiliar with when there was no mission requirements to be operating that low? They were not in the process of saving anyones life at that time. Did they even have the proper charts with them? Unknown! It was obviously pilot error hitting wires, and what was the rest of the crew thinking? This is a case of pure and simple "flathatting" or showing off and lack of Aircrew coordination, with nobody questioning the fact they were flying so low in an unfamiliar area with no mission requirement to do so.

The quotes by Mr. Papp of "Their sacrifice reflects our country's best values and principles." and "Our Service conducts hazardous missions every day both on and above the water, and ashore. The loss of these three exceptional Coast Guardsmen reinforces that fact.", are way off. The pilot or pilots destroyed a multi million dollar aircraft paid by taxpayers and essentially committed "manslaughter" in which the taxpayers will pay for the families for years to come for an avoidable accident. The pilots and crew were all at fault for their dangerously low flight in unfamiliar areas when there was no requirements to do so. It was a simple ferry flight from point A to point B that resulted in 3 unnecessary deaths. This does not exemplify "exceptional Coast Guardsmen" as stated by Mr. Papp, but shows unacceptable recklessness.

Once again, my condolences to the families, as for the rest of the CG members don't let the pilots kill you, use aircrew coordination and be assertive, and don't get complacent in the cockpit! Watch them wires!

I don't know why you posted this twice, but whatever. I'll respond twice:

Are you joking?!

Unless you have some "insider info," you do NOT, I repeat, do NOT know what happened. Yes, they hit wires (apparently). That does not mean nothing else happened (perhaps, mechanical) that caused them to hit the wires.

Even if it was a "stupid mistake," to say this is "manslaughter" and to not "let the pilots kill you," is f*cked up, juvenile, and absolutely ignorant. These are the same guys that would have plucked you from the water without regard to whatever stupid, idiotic things you've done in YOUR life (like we all have). Yes, this was a mistake (if we are to take the news reports at their word, without a proper investigation being concluded). Yes, it was deadly. That is no excuse to rip their heads off posthumously.

Get a grip.

P.S. The fiery Welsh (more fiery than the Irish) in me is coming out. Sorry, but this sh*t rubs me the wrong way. I have nothing against you personally, but for God's sake, don't you have anything better to do than rip their heads off before a proper and full investigation has been concluded?

First off, this is indeed sad news, and condolences to the families. But I have to play the devils advocate here also. The crew was on a ferry flight from Astoria, OR to Sitka Alaska after training was complete at CGAS Astoria. What are they doing flying at 250 ft AGL in an area they are unfamiliar with when there was no mission requirements to be operating that low? They were not in the process of saving anyones life at that time. Did they even have the proper charts with them? Unknown! It was obviously pilot error hitting wires, and what was the rest of the crew thinking? This is a case of pure and simple "flathatting" or showing off and lack of Aircrew coordination, with nobody questioning the fact they were flying so low in an unfamiliar area with no mission requirement to do so.

The quotes by Mr. Papp of "Their sacrifice reflects our country's best values and principles." and "Our Service conducts hazardous missions every day both on and above the water, and ashore. The loss of these three exceptional Coast Guardsmen reinforces that fact.", are way off. The pilot or pilots destroyed a multi million dollar aircraft paid by taxpayers and essentially committed "manslaughter" in which the taxpayers will pay for the families for years to come for an avoidable accident. The pilots and crew were all at fault for their dangerously low flight in unfamiliar areas when there was no requirements to do so. It was a simple ferry flight from point A to point B that resulted in 3 unnecessary deaths. This does not exemplify "exceptional Coast Guardsmen" as stated by Mr. Papp, but shows unacceptable recklessness.

Once again, my condolences to the families, as for the rest of the CG members don't let the pilots kill you, use aircrew coordination and be assertive, and don't get complacent in the cockpit! Watch them wires!

I don't care if these pilots did everything wrong during that flight - it is still improper to spit upon them and their families. Terms like "manslaughter" and phrases like "don't let the pilots kill you" are inherently pejorative and should not be used so carelessly. My .02.

I don't care if these pilots did everything wrong during that flight - it is still improper to spit upon them and their families. Terms like "manslaughter" and phrases like "don't let the pilots kill you" are inherently pejorative and should not be used so carelessly. My .02.

I am just saying its typical of the mil/gov to try and make these people sound like heroes when they were unnecessarily risking lives by low flight in unfamiliar terrain for the "thrill" of it and hit wires killing 3 aboard. It was an avoidable accident and unnecessary recklessness on the part of the pilot and crew.

Edited by flyingseapig

I am just saying its typical of the mil/gov to try and make these people sound like heroes when they were unnecessarily risking lives by low flight in unfamiliar terrain for the "thrill" of it and hit wires killing 3 aboard. It was an avoidable accident and unnecessary recklessness on the part of the pilot and crew.

Seriously, none of us, including YOU, have ANY idea what caused this. You are making some pretty wild assumtions and accusations that are simply offensive.

So even though the crew of that Jayhawk may have saved hundreds of lives and conducted god knows how many rescues in prior years, they don't attain the right to be considered heros because they crash during a ferry flight killing three of the four crew members onboard?

I don't agree with that at all. I think thats bullsh*t on your part. You obviously have no respect for what they did, and what the Coast Guard does for this country.

You shouldn't make assumptions until you know the full extent as to what happened. And the only way for that to happen is to read the NTSB report that gets published when the investigation is over.

Good day.

So even though the crew of that Jayhawk may have saved hundreds of lives and conducted god knows how many rescues in prior years, they don't attain the right to be considered heros because they crash during a ferry flight killing three of the four crew members onboard?

I don't agree with that at all. I think thats bullsh*t on your part. You obviously have no respect for what they did, and what the Coast Guard does for this country.

You shouldn't make assumptions until you know the full extent as to what happened. And the only way for that to happen is to read the NTSB report that gets published when the investigation is over.

Good day.

There will be no NTSB report, only a Coast Guard report since it is military/DOD, and you know they'll cover their own.

They will cover their own? The Coast Guard doesn't "Cover their own" in that manner. They aren't Blackwater Security, and they aren't your local Law Enforcement agency. Especially when it comes to aviation, nobody is out their to cover anybody's ass. There are way too many people involved around aviation safety/investigations to try and cover up whatever it is you think that crew did that would require their actions to be covered up.

I think it is best that you not submit any more replies as you have no clue what you are talking about.

People make mistakes, including myself; sometimes big ones. But even if pilot error is shown in this case, they still spent their lives in the forgotten service...the USCG: the first Homeland Security. Peace Jayhawkers