Selected for WOFT

Just found out today I was selected WOFT with GA Army National Guard. Being prior AF I have to go to AIT first since my AF AFSC didn't transfer over to Army but it's worth it. Thanks to everyone who poste questions on this forum very informative.

You have to go to AIT? Why is that?

Yeah when the Aviaition Recruiter told me about AIT I thought he was incorrect. But It seems like in the guard they do it like that. Ratinale was "Because to go to WOCS you have to have to be MOS qualified." It seems really a waste of money and resources but that's what the government does.

So wait.....were you already accepted in WOFT or no? If you haven't signed a WOFT contract, then don't believe the recruiter....especially when he tells you that you have to go to AIT first. The guard requires you to be a member first before putting in a WOFT packet. So you most likely have to enlist first, then after AIT put a WOFT packet in. Be careful with this recruiter.

So wait.....were you already accepted in WOFT or no? If you haven't signed a WOFT contract, then don't believe the recruiter....especially when he tells you that you have to go to AIT first. The guard requires you to be a member first before putting in a WOFT packet. So you most likely have to enlist first, then after AIT put a WOFT packet in. Be careful with this recruiter.

Correct you do have to be a member of the Guard..I am a member because I signed up as an 09S Mos which is an officer candidate..But since I came over from the Air Force my AFSC didnt convert over to Army MOS... I boarded last month for WOFT and was selected. However for 09S you don't need an MOS to go to OCS, but for WOCS (in the guard) you have to be MOS qualified. It's got me a little confused as well.

Yes that would make the most sense!

Not necessarily. I was recently at Fort Rucker, just visiting, and spoke with a couple 2LTs from the Guard. They said the number one reason people "wash out" of flight school is because they get into an accident (usually motorcycle) and can no longer pass the flight physical. I'm not saying this is likely to happen, but if it does, and you are forced to your MOS, you might want it to be something you'll enjoy doing.

Food for thought.

Not necessarily. I was recently at Fort Rucker, just visiting, and spoke with a couple 2LTs from the Guard. They said the number one reason people "wash out" of flight school is because they get into an accident (usually motorcycle) and can no longer pass the flight physical. I'm not saying this is likely to happen, but if it does, and you are forced to your MOS, you might want it to be something you'll enjoy doing.

Food for thought.

So don't buy a motorcycle.

Edited by FutureCWO

..or sky dive, bungee jump, cruise around the mall with those shoes with the little wheels on them, participate in hot dog eating contests, and/or tell your significant other "I'm gonna get a loan for $70K for flight school."

Trust me all of these, especially the last one, can/may cause death or great bodily harm which may cause you to fail the flight physical.

You've been warned.

So don't buy a motorcycle.

B co and Dco have the most motorcycles by percentage in the Army. We all pretty much ride....its a great way to relax and the CG rides as well...

just be safe...do the saftey course...get it inspected 4 times a year and your good....we always go down to Panama City Beach about 10-20 bikes deep...its a great time.

Edited by ErOk_OnE

B co and Dco have the most motorcycles by percentage in the Army. We all pretty much ride....its a great way to relax and the CG rides as well...

just be safe...do the saftey course...get it inspected 4 times a year and your good....we always go down to Panama City Beach about 10-20 bikes deep...its a great time.

What kind of Bike do you have?? I ride down to Panama City from Tallahassee a good bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Food for thought.

It was my understanding that should someone "wash out" or get "grounded" while in flight school that they would be discharged. This is what I heard from several people, but no real solid source, or maybe its an initial contract issue... So, for that to happen one would have to fail a flight physical and thats it?

Ft. Rucker will do everything possible to make a pilot out of you (after the Army decides you are worthy). They are not out to screw people and each case is handled individually. If you are an idiot and do something stupid than you should not be an aviator in the first place, but if something happened accidentally and its not disabling, you should be fine. You only hear these horror stories every once in a while and considering how many people do graduate, the percentage is vary low. Get out of that negative state of mind and stay positive. If you think bad things, they will happen and the other way around. Give it all you got and worry about problems if they happen, not now. Best of luck.

Dutch.

Ft. Rucker will do everything possible to make a pilot out of you (after the Army decides you are worthy). They are not out to screw people and each case is handled individually. If you are an idiot and do something stupid than you should not be an aviator in the first place, but if something happened accidentally and its not disabling, you should be fine. You only hear these horror stories every once in a while and considering how many people do graduate, the percentage is vary low. Get out of that negative state of mind and stay positive. If you think bad things, they will happen and the other way around. Give it all you got and worry about problems if they happen, not now. Best of luck.

Dutch.

Dude...good answer. A guy can't help but start to think of all the ways to not succeed with the way these packets are. Almost made me forget that I'm applying for the most bad-ass job on the planet.

Dude...good answer. A guy can't help but start to think of all the ways to not succeed with the way these packets are. Almost made me forget that I'm applying for the most bad-ass job on the planet.

Don't get me wrong, there's still a million and one ways not to make it....however.

If you do give an honest effort, you'll make it through flight school no sweat. With that being said...There's a big difference between just punching your ticket out of flight school, and laying a solid foundation and showing up to your first duty station a proficient PI.

Take full advantage of your time to become really good. Especially when it comes to the advanced aircraft phase.

Don't burn out. At a minimum, take Friday nights, and Saturdays OFF all together. And for heaven's sake, don't neglect your family if you are married.

But, put your time in at the CPT's and sims when able, spend about 30 mins a night reviewing 5 & 9, and 30 mins reviewing academics and PREVIEWING the next days topic Sun-Thursday and you'll be golden!

Remember, its a marathon and not a race. 1-2 years of 24/7 studying will leave you burnt out after a month. But 30-90 minutes an evening 4-5 nights a week dedicated will leave you light years ahead of the guy who just crams before the checkride after a year.

And you tell me, who's going to be the first PI to get progressed when he hits his unit? Or who will make PC first?

This isn't for everyone. I got a sharp reminder of this the other night when I found out a really good friend of mine has dropped on request after finishing BWS. She's going back to the civilian life.

I didn't know you had the option to? I figured they'd make you finish out your contract somehow?