Timeline for everything WOFT

I have done a few days worth of searching for somewhat of a timeline for becoming 153A Rotary Aviator. I get projected next week. I believe BCT is 9 weeks, ?SERE 6 weeks?, then WOCS, then WOFT? Is that somewhat correct or what is a typical timeline for the complete program all the way to pinning CW2? Please include the amount of weeks for each amount of training and if there are any typical breaks or wait times between training. Also, I have dependents and am wondering if they can get my BAH while I am in all phases of training if they do not move to Ft. Rucker? I've read and agree it will likely be a distraction if they are living on Post. I apologize if any this has been asked before and I missed it.

Knight,

This is what I know about how it all works. BCT comes first, followed by WOCS. Upon completion of WOCS, you will go through the first phase of BOLC which includes SERE-C. After that's done, you will start flight school (Primary, Instruments, Basic Navigation, and FSXXI for your airframe). Finally, you will complete the last phase of BOLC before shipping out to your assigned unit. The wait times between constantly changes, so it just depends on how many people are going through and how many slots are available. I wish I could be less vague, but it just takes as long as it takes. Expect a minumum of one year at Rucker up to 18 months depending on how many "bubbles" in which you get caught.

Your family is eligible for BAH the entire time due to the fact that you are on active duty status - regardless of where they live. I don't know where you read that it would be a distraction to have your family with you, but that's a hard pill to swallow. Your family is going to be there for you when the Army has lost its need to keep you. Therefore, I would say that it's important to have your family there and available to you. You will deploy eventually and not have them there to be with you and it's tough. Take the time you have at home and spend it with your family. All that being said, flight school will take a considerable amount of your personal time for study. Involve your family in the process (helping to study by showing you flashcards for memorization, etc.) and they will appreciate the fact that you want to be with them. Besides, the stress you will feel by them being away from you will far outweigh the stress of having them with you.

-Marc

Go to the Fort Rucker site and look for the Incoming Student tab. There is a lot of helpful info there...including a timeline sheet for the WOFT program starting with WOCS. If you need some help finding it let me know...I was looking at it just last night.

Edited by bdl1769

I have done a few days worth of searching for somewhat of a timeline for becoming 153A Rotary Aviator. I get projected next week. I believe BCT is 9 weeks, ?SERE 6 weeks?, then WOCS, then WOFT? Is that somewhat correct or what is a typical timeline for the complete program all the way to pinning CW2? Please include the amount of weeks for each amount of training and if there are any typical breaks or wait times between training. Also, I have dependents and am wondering if they can get my BAH while I am in all phases of training if they do not move to Ft. Rucker? I've read and agree it will likely be a distraction if they are living on Post. I apologize if any this has been asked before and I missed it.

http://www.rucker.army.mil/pdf/FSXXI%20Timeline.pdf

BCT/WOCS - 17 weeks of lockdown (they're back to back)

HOLD - several months, during which you do dunker.

JOPD - 6 weeks

HOLD - 1 week

SERE - 3 weeks of lockdown

HOLD - approximately 1 month

IERW - approximately 21 weeks

HOLD - varies depending on aircraft selection, then however long it takes to train up in the various helicopters.

Edited by SBuzzkill

• 3 weeks later...

How tough is SERE? I ship for BCT in 7 weeks, back for exodus then WOCS. Is there anything you can do to prepare for it?

The less you do to prepare for it the better. Don't listen to people that try to give you advice (even though I guess this is advice too). Just roll with it. It's really different for everybody. How hard it is kinda depends on your outlook.

Blake

The less you do to prepare for it the better. Don't listen to people that try to give you advice (even though I guess this is advice too). Just roll with it. It's really different for everybody. How hard it is kinda depends on your outlook.

Blake

Well I'm guessing you have been there, can you talk about what I can expect to face?

Well I'm guessing you have been there, can you talk about what I can expect to face?

Nobody's really supposed to give you any information about it. I will tell you that you will learn everything you need to know before you need to put that knowledge to use. Really...don't stress about it. You have a few steps to get through before you get there.

Good luck,

Blake

Nobody's really supposed to give you any information about it. I will tell you that you will learn everything you need to know before you need to put that knowledge to use. Really...don't stress about it. You have a few steps to get through before you get there.

Good luck,

Blake

Roger that, my theory with everything is to learn the most I can about something, plan the for the worst, and then execute it the best I can. I'm not worried I just want to be prepared.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...