Such thing as Part-Time or Weekend Heli CFIs???

First off, the question...are there any CFIs working part time, like on the weekends or evenings? I've read a couple of forums about FW CFIs who are doing this while working another job, so that they can afford to live and pay back loans.

Now, the reason I'm asking...

I am just getting ready to finish my CFI cert, but I just had to take about a month and a half off because I didn't have enough money to finish training. Well, I finally have enough money to finish my training, and I assume I could finish up in a month or two. So I would finish in the fall, and if I'm lucky, I could get a job at the school I'm going to. I live in the Pacific Northwest, so flying in the winter is not very good, so I probably wouldn't be able to make that much money, or even fly that many hours as a new instructor.

I also have a full time job right now. I am a manager at a big retail corporation. I currently don't make too much money, so I figured that taking a small pay cut to be a flight instructor, and do what I love, and build hours, wouldn't be that big of a deal. However, I have been offered a promotional opprotunity to eventually be a store manager. To put it in perspective, I know that my store manager makes over 100k a year and he got a $75k bonus last year.

Now, I know that money isn't everything and money doesn't buy happiness, but there is one BIG (well actually little right now) reason that I am contemplating this issue. My wife is pregnant, and I'm having a child due in January! My original plan of getting a job as a CFI and trying to make ends meet has now been altered. I don't want to have to try to "make ends meet" when I have a child. BUT, I also don't want to give up my dream.

So, back to the question, is there any way I can have the best of both worlds? Get a promotion and be a part time CFI. Any of you guys who are CFIs are maybe have been in a simalar situation, any help would be appreciated.

Looks like starting in January you're going to have a full time job. Congrats on the kid--it'll change your perspective.

Depends on the mentality of the school. Where I went, they wanted CFIs to build their time and get on, so part time wasn't an option. But our local FBO though is staffed by part-time FW CFIs that gave up on airline dreams and settled into a regular job. They fly around their work schedule. Although I've never heard of it working out, seems like a part-time position where you recruit your own students should work, but I can only think of a few small schools that might even entertain that.

More recently I've been doing some flying with BoatPix. Unless they have a student or it's a holiday, most of their flying is on the weekend. The few pilots I've talked to say it's possible to keep another job, but that job has to be flexible. If I could get into flying with them more regularly, it'd work out well for me since I can set my own schedule at work.

Thanks kodoz! Also, what would you guys do if you were in this situation?

This is such a no brainer, I'm surprised you are asking. Stick with the money job, you will need it with the child..congrats on that. Part time CFI is rather ordinary, should not be the end of the world if you have other attributes. Being friendly, likeable and a good instructor will help you more than be available full time. Build your time into your ultimate job after you have taken care of your other obligations.

Fly safe,

Goldy

I agree with Goldy stick with the money job for now. You will not build hours quick enough of make enough money as a part time (or even full time probably) CFI to look after the family. Take the other job for a year or two and stay flying and current and then see what happens!

I say that you have the best of both worlds already. Congratulations! Now get a jump start on stocking up with the Pampers and Formula. Everything else will fall into place. biggrin.gif

Trevor,

Left you a more detailed message on FB in response to your query there, but I think you should talk to a few people at the school. I put a list of a couple people to talk to, starting with Jared.

I know you, and I know your first priority is going to be to take care of your family. You are in a good position to do that right now. How to do that, while at the same time moving your flight career forward might be tricky, but I am confident that you will be able to work that out.

Conor

The weekend/PT CFI used to be normal back when schools had a lot of students on different schedules. A lot of LEOs I know got their time that way. Schools are a little more reluctant to have a surplus of CFIs right now. If you can get a gig like that grab it and hold on tight

You probably have a better chance of finding a part time job right now. Hours are down for schools and replacing a full time CFI with a part timer is very attractive. The full time guys like it too because they can get thier full time flight hours but arent overstreched.