To Permison

Hello Jack,

I have read your posts on occasion (thanks for participating) and recently you made a comment in another thread....which is now locked....hence the reason I have started a new thread. After someone asked you for info on yourself, you wrote: “However I am a commercial pilot, I earn income as a pilot. I don't have to explain or defend my actions to either of you. Nor do you need to know who I am or who I fly for.”

Personally, I do think it's appropriate for someone who is a vocal member of the community, such as yourself, to reinforce their statements and/or positions with their background and current status in our industry when asked. I do not think it is unfair of anyone to ask and it lends more to your credibility if you answer. It just helps people understand where you are coming from and your perspective. You have made many statements here and elsewhere very publicly on the web. As such, your background and status in this industry is a very valid question and has me too wishing to learn more.

So if you do not mind, I for one would very much enjoy learning more about what you do in this industry. I have a few questions based on what you have said here and on your own websites.

Who are you working for as a pilot? or are you referring to your Thunderbirds Rescue Organization? Interesting concept BTW. If you cannot share who you are working for, how about what sector? EMS, ENG, GOM, LE, Firefighting, SAR…..ect. What helicopters are you currently flying? What is you flying experience?

I would think you would be proud about sharing your background and not be too concerned about details. The reason that I say that is because you have placed so much personal info online already. Your resume is on your website with address, phone, and all past employers; pictures of you at Ft. Rucker, pictures of you flying an R22, pictures of you wearing a blue flight suit with LT bars (seems to be at an air show). You mention having special ops flying experience in a previous post. Also on your resume you indicate that you were in the Army for 10 months and were an “Aviator, Flying the OH-58 Reconnaissance helicopter”.

Based on what you have put on your websites and this website, you appear to have a broad range of experience in helicopters and I for one would sincerely enjoy learning more about your flying background....because I do think it matters to the community for which you so earnestly participate.

Thanks in advance – About Me if interested. :D

• Like 4

First of all, I dont think its fair to single out someone on a specific thread. Maybe you should have just sent him a message if you were that interested to know.

Secondly, Permison you do have a nice website but it says you are currently working for thunderbirds rescue. This is a volunteer organization for guys with their own machines. It doesn't say anywhere on your resume that you actually work as a pilot. It looks like you have your own company and your own helicopter to play around in. Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't 'work' as a pilot do you?

• Like 2

I think it is fair to call someone out. After all, I was accused of trying to get someone fired (from a place they don't work)

I did ask permison were he worked. I was curious what line of work he was in.

Edited by clay
  • Like 4

Sure Lyn, be happy to.

As mentioned before I am a dual rated commercial pilot (feel free to look me up in the FAA database) for both Fixed wing and Helicopters. I have been flying off and on for about 20 years. I started flying fixed wing in high school in Fl and was a Cadet in the Civil Air Patrol. I attended the University of Central Florida studying both Aerospace and computer science and was a Air Force ROTC cadet with intentions to be a Air Force pilot.

I wasn't smart enough for the Air Force ;-) so I transferred into the Army during the end of collage to fly helicopters. But left shortly into my career due to medical issues. I left the Army honorably.

I didn't fly again for about 10 years while I played in the Internet space helping to start to software companies as both a software developer and later in management. I walked away not rich but with a bigger bank account. When I went back to flying I bought into a airplane partnership and started doing aerial photography in the Washington DC area, later I added a R22 (which was loaned not a partnership from another owner in the DC area, he agreed to put me on his insurance if I would keep the aircraft flying). I worked with a number of local photographers and later expanded into doing real-estate surveys. I did that for a number of years until I moved out here.

I used to be a FAA safety rep and participated in producing FAA Wings programs. While I am no longer active with the FAA I should still be listed as a Safety rep.

I am also a pilot with the Civil Air Patrol and have been flying with them for some time now. The blue flight suit picture is a Civil Air Patrol uniform at the Dulles Smithsonian "Be a Pilot day" a few years ago hence the 1st Lt. bars. I am also a K9 handler with my dog Chewie with a FEMA/NASAR volunteer K9 team doing wilderness search and rescue hence the SAR vest on my dog. I am also a certified rescue diver and first responder.

Currently I am the chief pilot with Thunderbird Rescue. There are 8 "employees" in the organization and a number of volunteers. There are 3 other pilots besides me. We are acquiring a few aircraft on the used market, specifically we are looking at bell 205s and 222s (Hence my recent post requesting DOCs for both). We are a 501c3 nonprofit and a Colorado state corporation. And currently applying for a Part 135 certificate.

All of which as you point out are easily found on the Internet.

• Like 1

That Thunderbird rescue organization sounds interesting. I have never heard of it. Do you reposition aircraft to other countries when needed for disaster or keep it domestic?

First of all, I dont think its fair to single out someone on a specific thread. Maybe you should have just sent him a message if you were that interested to know.

Secondly, Permison you do have a nice website but it says you are currently working for thunderbirds rescue. This is a volunteer organization for guys with their own machines. It doesn't say anywhere on your resume that you actually work as a pilot. It looks like you have your own company and your own helicopter to play around in. Correct me if I'm wrong but you don't 'work' as a pilot do you?

Actually Translift, I do work full time for Thunderbirds as their chief pilot. It is not just me but I am part of the management. But I also have a side business doing web and software development part time when I can. The resume you are looking at is tailored to the computer industry.

I suspect the reason Lyn called me out in public is due to a dispute with another member of VR who has decided to let it spill out publicly. Lyn unfortunately is caught in the middle due to his association with this person.

• Like 2

Wasn't having a go at you Permison, sorry if it sounded like I was. Just interested to find out after looking through your webpage. Didn't see any references to flying but now thats cleared up eh!! Thanks

That Thunderbird rescue organization sounds interesting. I have never heard of it. Do you reposition aircraft to other countries when needed for disaster or keep it domestic?

That is the plan, we hope to be international. As we are a new organization much is still up in the air. I am part of a group of pilots who get called every year to volunteer our time and aircraft to support relief efforts. I flew a number of missions for Katrina and I forget the name of the hurricane that hit Texas the following year. Every time we got a call it was really difficult to everything together. So we decided to start Thunderbirds with dedicated resources like the Civil Air Patrol.

You haven't heard a lot about us as we are not ready to go public yet. The website is up so we have somewhere to point people we are talking to and to host our email.

• Like 2

Translift and Clay,

Thanks for the replies, but I do not want you to take my post as calling someone out. That is not my intent, nor do I want this to turn into an attack fest. My purpose is two fold:

One - I am first trying to share my philosophy (with him and everyone) of the importance of sharing one's background with the community for which they participate. You cannot walk into a room and begin talking authoritatively, only to tell someone to sit down and be quiet when they ask what your background is. Especially in aviation. Background matters. You do not have to agree with me, just my opinion as a professional pilot.

Two - Translift, I am not trying to single him out. I am responding to his statements and I am sincerely interested as to why he would not share his experience with us. as his background sounds interesting.

Statements like:

“However I am a commercial pilot, I earn income as a pilot. I don't have to explain or defend my actions to either of you. Nor do you need to know who I am or who I fly for.”

"But I will tell you what if this guy worked for me or flew one of my aircraft I would do a lot more than sh*t can his ass."

I had to start a new thread because the one he made the statement in is locked, and I did not want to respond to him in the poll about "low flights over whales", for fear of hijacking that gent's thread.

I honestly have no real beef with anything he is saying (why would I, I know little about him) and I appreciate his participation. In reading more about him (in his own words) I wanted to learn more. I would just like to know where he is coming from....... Is he a working helicopter pilot? Flying what? What types of flying? Is he an aircraft owner? Is he a 500/5000/10,000 hour pilot. If I asked you the same questions, you probably would have no problem sharing would you? These questions should be no big deal among us professionals.

• Like 3

Wasn't having a go at you Permison, sorry if it sounded like I was. Just interested to find out after looking through your webpage. Didn't see any references to flying but now thats cleared up eh!! Thanks

No, that's fine Translift. I don't see it as an attack at all, actually all this noise might work out in my favor as we hope to soon be looking for others for Thunderbirds. Probably early next year though.

• Like 2

Lyn,

I have helicopter experiance flying the R22, R44, 300CB, Bell 205, 206, and of course the OH-58.

I have fixed wing experiance with 172RG, AG5B, C-152, C-172, C-182, C182T, DA40-61, Decathlon, E-33A, PA28-140, PA28-200, PA28-236.

Again I am a commercial pilot and rather than me telling you here, why don't you get it from the horses mouth at the FAA airman database.

• Like 2

Lyn,

When I first saw the thread I was thinking it was singling him out but I now see what you were doing and agree. I have no problem sharing my background with people to back up my statements when necessary. As you said no big deal amongst us pros.

Permison,

Sounds great. Can guys who don't have their own aircraft get involved as pilots for voluntary crews etc? I have a rescue background in Ireland, not flying but on the ground. Something I would be interested in doing.

Now Lyn, if this is not singling me out let me ask you to do the same request for Dennis/DP/RkyMtnHI as I have always wanted to know what his qualifications were. As far as I know he only has a private pilot cert for helicopters, yet he asked for my qualifications as well.

Clay why don't you start your own thread as well listing your qualifications as you both post a lot and I would love to hear about your back ground. I know you fly a lot in the Gulf (and no kidding) I would love to hear more about it.

• Like 2

Snip

Permison,

Sounds great. Can guys who don't have their own aircraft get involved as pilots for voluntary crews etc? I have a rescue background in Ireland, not flying but on the ground. Something I would be interested in doing.

That is part of the plan too but I have to warn you insurance requirements will be very high. I think the last quote I heard was something like 1500 to 2000 hours with 100 recent and a school checkout (Hence my post asking for a company that does checkouts in the 205). We are working on the official quote but it is slow going.

The original plan was for us to take care of the costs and private owners would bring the aircraft. Due to FAA rules we had to nix that idea for the time being and now are purchasing some used equipment. We have a number of A&Ps who are willing to donate their time (and will have apprenticeships!), and we are talking with some suppliers to donate parts and fluids but nothing is concrete yet. Down the road we hope to be able to include private owners but that whole Part 91/Part 135 thing is a killer.

We do hope to offer SIC time to new pilots trying to build turbine time when doing transport and Rkymtnhi and I had discussed having Heliops students help with the transport to missions. That obviously is no longer the case.

We will have volunteer positions as crew and will train those that qualify. We also will need a small army of support personnel. Anyone of those you could probably qualify while you are still building hours.

I would highly recommend given your background you look at the Civil Air Patrol. It is a great organization and a place that could really use your skills. It would also allow you to cross train on fixed wing which might make you more marketable in the aviation industry.

• Like 1

Since we are giving credentials I may as well throw mine out, ha ha.

I am working up in MA at the moment as an ag and utilty pilot. I am in my first season up here and loving it. I hold a JAA CPL with the ATPL theory exams and FAA CFII. I have instructed at Bristow Academy, both FAA and JAA, and at a flight school in California. Most my time is in 300's but I am now flying 44's in the ag sector which is a great challenge. I have time in a 22, 44, 300, 47, Rotorway (ugh) and C172.

• Like 1

You don't like the Rotorway??? I always wanted one of those. I've heard a lot of nice things about them. What don't you like about it? They are coming out with a certified version and I was thinking about buying one.

• Like 1

I flew one in Bakersfield and I wasn't a fan at all. It felt cheap, plastic controls, etc. I have never heard an engine scream like this thing did. Even after 5 mins with the Bose headset on my ears were ringing so bad. It is the first and only time I have ever felt uncomfortable in a helicopter. Maybe it was this particular one but it wasn't a nice experience!!

• Like 1

I doubt anyone on here wants to know my extremely limited experience. There are a few people on here that know my short career history. If anyone wants to know I will happily tell them.

• Like 2

Now Lyn, if this is not singling me out let me ask you to do the same request for Dennis/DP/RkyMtnHI as I have always wanted to know what his qualifications were. As far as I know he only has a private pilot cert for helicopters, yet he asked for my qualifications as well.

Clay why don't you start your own thread as well listing your qualifications as you both post a lot and I would love to hear about your back ground. I know you fly a lot in the Gulf (and no kidding) I would love to hear more about it.

Jack,

Thanks for the replies and sorry for my delay......I only locked the thread down long enough to clean up you and DP's inexcusable rants. You were wrong for starting that, and he was wrong for replying.

Your posts actually came to my attention when Photoflyer (a moderator) PM'd me about the Skyking thread and how it had gotten hot. He turned it off. It was your statement about not sharing your background that kind of threw me off. That is what this is about.

It is true that I do know Dennis Pierce and the business of CO HeliOPs. I actually visited there once. However, I know absolutely nothing about R66's, and news contracts, or about your participation in his business (or not)....that you went on to state. I am not even sure what that is all about and I really wish you would not have made that a part of the conversation. You drew first blood on that one. To answer your Q - I have no reason to ask for DP's status in the industry because I know it. Everyone here knows it.

My initial request to you has nothing to do with DP or whatever relationship you had with him. Frankly, I do not care. I started the thread with a sincere question to you based on your participation in another thread.

Now back to our original discussion.......Let's stay on topic.

I do not doubt that you are a dual rated commercial pilot. I do not doubt anything you just said. I have no reason to. Hence the reason I asked for more info. My overarching point was that your experience in this forum is important.

As a former Marine and current volunteer, I appreciate your service both in the military and in volunteer organizations. I honestly value both. I applaud the fact that you are a Chief Pilot, in 19 years of flying in both Part 91 and 135 ops, I found myself to not be smart enough or patient enough to hold that title. Been offered the CP job, but not really for me. But back to my point........

When people in public places such as this forum weigh in heavily on conversations, and someone asks for their background, and they say - “However I am a commercial pilot, I earn income as a pilot. I don't have to explain or defend my actions to either of you. Nor do you need to know who I am or who I fly for.” That just makes people (especially me) want to learn more about that person.

Nicely enough, you have info available on yourself here and on the web. At first glance you use a lot of the titles and buzz words..... FAA, Safety Rep, Commercial Pilot, Chief Pilot, US Army Aviator Recon Helicopter Pilot, Thunderbird Rescue, income earning pilot, Special Operations Flying Experience, Part 135 Certificate, a long list of aircraft flown, and pictures of you on multiple websites, which gives a certain outward perception.....but still leaves me curious.

So my questions are:

Exactly how many helicopter flying hours do you have? Commercial helicopter experience? In what sectors? What is your TT?

I think the volunteer rescue org is a neat idea. I understand you started it and are the Chief Pilot, very nice! How many helicopters does Thunderbird Rescue currently operate and what types? Are they public use? Do they have hoists? Share some pics with us.

Ps. I have 15 years combined fire/rescue + EMS flying. If your org has well maintained aircraft and I meet quals, perhaps I can volunteer as a pilot in times of need. :) I am very available with a flexible schedule. I just got back from China in May where I was an Instructor Pilot giving the Chinese SAR pilots recurrent training in their S76s. Check it out:

MOT_hoist.jpg

Looking forward to learning more.

• Like 3

I know that guy hanging on the hook. His name is Mang Hung Lo

That is funny :lol: Actually, the victim is a USCG rescue swimmer named Bull (giant of a man).......and check this out.....the chinese rescuer who was a very big man for an Asian, his name was KONG!

• Like 1

Lyn,

I think we are done with this witch hunt. You're not going to find anything. I've answered all the questions I am going to. You haven't done this with anyone else. So you must be on a witch hunt because of either my reporting the guy in the video or you're buddy buddy with DP. So that's fine. Message heard loud and clear I will extricate myself from your wonderful community because I clearly an not qualified.

• Like 1

That's a good way to handle being a professional commercial pilot. It's not hard to explain your history. Here, I'll show ya:

I started when I was 21 doing my flight training in Tx in Enstrom f-28a models. While training there, I also worked for a small gulf of Mexico operator doing odds and ends in their hangar. Luckily at that job I met a lot of great guys and also got to do a lot of ferry flights and maintenance flights as a relatively low hour pilot.

About the time my commercial was finishing up, the GOM operator sold out to RLC. Some of the pilots stayed and some moved on. One in particular went to work for a local news operator here in Houston which allowed me to get into some ENG flying in 206L4's and eventually the 407 being that he and I had become good friends. I finally finished my CFI and started looking for that coveted first CFI spot.

Eventually after 6 months of searching I got an opportunity in Grand Junction Colorado to come instruct. I went out there and started teaching but soon realized the gentleman Who started the small flight school couldn't financially sustain it. He knew it and so did I, so I started to look for a new home. With no luck and a dark cloud on my very near horizon, he got a call from a guy in Denver who needed a CFI. Things were starting to turn around and I was offered a spot as a CFI at *^%#~ helicopters in Denver. While there I met every helicopter operator in town I could and stayed on there good sides. Soon enough I was flying in the left seat of an astar helping ENG and getting stick time, as well as flying a 206L3 in the mountains getting a bit of mountain training from a 22,000 hr mountain pilot. After a couple years of that I was getting burnt out on instruction and decided to move on. Unfortunately when I did, +*^%~ helicopters shut down and sold assets to another Denver area flight school.

I came home to Houston to my family and started looking for that next gig. A close friend said he could get me an interview with a company but couldn't gaurantee me a position. I went to the interview and flew with the chief pilot and then visited a while. As we talked he noticed where I was trained and said if I'd get a letter of recommendation from that schools owner he'd hire me on the spot. We called and asked and the owner said he would. 10 minutes later I was handed an official job offer. He said he didn't care what the letter said, that if He was willing to write me a letter that was good enough for him.

Now I'm flying a 206L4 out of intracoastal city Louisiana and averaging 7-8 hrs a day.

In the immortal words of cartman " screw you guys, I'm goin home"

Edited by clay
  • Like 4

Lyn,

I think we are done with this witch hunt. You're not going to find anything. I've answered all the questions I am going to. You haven't done this with anyone else. So you must be on a witch hunt because of either my reporting the guy in the video or you're buddy buddy with DP. So that's fine. Message heard loud and clear I will extricate myself from your wonderful community because I clearly an not qualified.

Huh? Did I miss something here? Witch hunt? How would sharing your experience harm you? What ever your experience is.....it is. Who said you were not qualified to be here? We all have interest in helicopters so we are all qualified.

Why the paranoia? What do you mean, when you say, "You're not going to find anything." All I asked is for you to share your flying experience. Not an abnormal request among pilots.

I own and moderate 3 forums.....one much rougher than this one. I have been moderating since 2001. Trust me, you are not the first person who I have asked to share their experience.

In life, in any setting, when you meet someone and start talking, especially about technical subject matter, the first thing you do is try and determine that persons background. For many reasons right? You want to understand where they are coming from. Their perspective. Their experience level as compared to yours. Establish credibility and so on.

Again, how would sharing your experience harm you? Is it top secret or something?

• Like 4

Guest pokey

Establish credibility and so on.

Again, how would sharing your experience harm you? Is it top secret or something?

I'll put my $$ on "or something"

I lost all respect for Mr Parmesian after he attacked that high school girl in one thread here & tried to justify it as "she's just a dumb hi school kid"

"I'll just take my toys & go home" how professional is that? I dont think i would want him to rescue me, but then again? i guess someone w/ 10 months huey flying experience IS better than dying of thirst?--oh wait,,, how many huey hours?

I am a firm believer in honesty, even if it is on the internet. (did i ever tellya about the time i was white tiger hunting in,,,,,,,)

• Like 4