WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

I would stress however that the longterm benefits of PRK, namely no risk in dislocating the corneal flap, is precisely why at least the military prefers PRK. Not sure about other aerospace agencies/companies, but the military stressed that they would prefer that I have PRK if I am to be a pilot in case of high-G or turbulence there is no risk of having corneal flap dislodged or in worst-case scenarios removed from the cornea altogether. Here is a quick WebMD article I found about it;

http://blogs.webmd.com/eye-on-vision/2005/11/lasik-some-wounds-never-heal.html

And for the horror stories (not meant to scare anyone, but here's the worst-case scenarios);

http://www.lasikcomplications.com/flapdislocation.htm

It's up to every patient to decide which surgery is right for them, but in my humble opinion, military or no, if you want to have corneal refractive surgery, I would go with PRK. They cost exactly the same anyways :)

No offense intended Lindsay ;)

Unfortunately, two weeks after my PRK I got a ticket for failure to move over for an emergency vehicle stopped on the side of the road AKA Move Over law, $394 fine!!! And does kind of compromise the appearance of good decision making, however I was unaware of the law, and was very aware of the situation as I passed them, but nonetheless going into court to ask the judge to consider letting me get the charges dismissed with payment, I will not contest the charges because I did break the law, and I partially blame my eyesight for having me concerned about whether I could safely merge over, but no excuses, I'm a big boy and I can take my medicine, so I'll just explain to the judge what I am doing, and hope he will have some consideration for my goals and help me out a little.

I would NOT tell the judge about the Army if you are taking it to court. One of the questions on the security interview and at MEPS is "Have you ever had an offense dismissed in favor of you joining the Army" or something along those lines. When I went to MEPS to sign my contract, there was a guy there that was supposed to be shipping out. They ended up telling him he couldn't go because a judge had dismissed a case as a favor for him going into the military. Now, his was some sort of criminal case (like violation of a restraining order) or something like that, but still, I wouldn't chance it.

See if you can get it reduced or dismissed, but I wouldn't mention the Army. Just my .02

Edited by 01CelicaGTS
  • Like 1

Thanks, good advice...I do have a good thing going without mentioning the military, however if I mentioned the military, but did not ask him to dismiss it because of that (not asking for dismissal anyway, with a $394 ticket I'm sure they would just laugh in my face if I tried to get off scot free) and he ended up reducing or dismissing it, it would not be 'as a favor to joining the military'..I actually know a guy who was cavalry who joined because it was either go to jail or join the military according to the judge, and I think this is more what they mean.

I on the other hand am simply asking for some leniency because it might hurt my plans that were already in action, and am requesting to pay the fine but have charges reduced or dropped. But I will make sure to word my request/defense very carefully as not to have it come across as 'if you let me get off easy I will join the military'. I will also go speak with a recruiter about this..I work full-time, attend school, and volunteer 5 hours a week, that in itself should be enough to merit some leniency I hope. Not to mention I know other police officers who come into work, and after I told them what happened they seemed to talk amongst themselves that the officer that wrote the citation was, let's just say, not a nice guy for writing me the ticket. We can say, the reason I don't know him when I know the rest of the police in town is because he is the only one who doesn't get invited out to eat at my restaurant ;)

The moral conviction waiver thing is a real PITA...IMO. I went through the entire process of writing my memo, briefing my BN CDR and talking to my Company Commander, who basically told me that was my one chance at a screw up, and if I'm even late to a formation he will bring the hammer down. Then when I was waiting for my waiver to go to NGB they came back and said I didn't need it! So my whole chain of command knows this long history about me that I really didn't have to divulge in the first place. It had been 8 years b/w that happening and applying for flight school, now it's been over 10 but that still hangs over my head with my CO. Luckily he is moving up and out and we have someone new coming in so I'll have a fresh start.

They ask in the paperwork if you've ever had a charge dismissed and they ask you to report everything even if a judge or lawyer informed you your record is scotch free. That being said what you choose to do with that information is you're decision, but I would tread softly. And I don't know how true it is but my recruiter told me they have ways of finding dismissed and expunged charges.

I'm sure they do. It was a traffic violation, and I wasn't speeding or driving recklessly, just failed to merge over a lane to pass emergency vehicles on the roadside..this was two weeks after my PRK surgery and my eyes were still kinda blurry, and I wasn't sure if I could merge safely, but I should have slowed down- honestly didn't know it was a LAW just thought it was common courtesy/common sense to merge over..in fact last time I had a car break down and officers arrived to help many cars came whizzing past us in the adjacent lane and the officer just remarked that I should stay away from the road because the lights attract drivers like moths. Never remarked that these people were actually breaking the law :/

Nonetheless, I am not contesting the charge, I did break the law and ignorance of the law is no excuse for violating it, but I really just don't want this single infraction to blow my chances..I mean I had JUST gotten my PRK for this, what kind of luck would that be..commit to something and get surgery to become eligible and less than three weeks later blow my chances by a stupid traffic violation (stupid on my part, not the law).

I'll speak with the judge, the officer seemed polite enough when I spoke with him the other day that he wouldn't contest a dismissal on costs, but that it was ultimately up to the judge. Hopefully I can get him to dismiss them on cost, and a recruiter will notify me if I need a waiver for it (which I hope I will not). STUPID STUPID STUPID.

• Like 2

If its on paper the FBI can find it. I agree, be careful with what you decide. If you paid/were charged that fine, you fall into moral waiver territory. Nothing is expunged/sealed to Uncle Sam. It would be a gamble to hide it, and a gamble to admit it. Unless you know someone higher up who can bail you out in case they find it, I wouldn't recommend hiding it. Best of luck to you Sir, I was in the same boat, admitted it and was dq'd. Better than a fraudulent enlistment though. My $.02

lunaC don't compare your situation to his. He had multiple criminal violations as well as many traffic violations. Yours is a minor traffic violation.

I would say just wait until you know exactly what you are going to be charged with. After that, let your recruiter know. He'll tell you if you need a moral waiver. I don't think that you'd have a problem getting one. The only thing that might cause an issue is that they might not be accepting as many people that require a moral waiver.

Also, find out for sure what requires a moral waiver and then see if you can get the fine reduced to below that threshold. Remember that when you put the price of your ticket, you don't include the court costs. Maybe the majority of your fine can be "court costs." Have a conversation with the judge and see if he would be willing to lower the fine to whatever the threshold is. Maybe you tell him about the WOFT thing, maybe not. As long as it's not on record that he lowered it because of your future military service then it should be fine.

Just a couple things to think about. Good luck!

Edited by 01CelicaGTS
  • Like 1

Thanks. How many moral waivers did you need btw? Just the one?

Just one.

CelicaGTS- Easy man, you make me sound like a bad guy!

I do agree with Celica OP, see if you can get the fine below 250-300$ before court costs. If you can adjuducate the charges properly and slide under the radar there, why not? Otherwise, yeah, you will most likely need a moral waiver. (Maybe southern states are more lenient?)

Could be worth it to consult a lawyer (mouthpiece) on this one.

Hi Guys & Lindsey haha,

I just wanted to stop in and thank all of you, especially Lindsey, for the amount of hard work and information put into the threads on this website. I am a recent college grad and aspiring Warrant Officer and found this website through the goarmy Warrant Officer thread.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some personal advice in regards to becoming a warrant officer. My GPA in college was a 3.91 with a Bachelors in Integrated Social Studies Education but in high school I only had a 3.02 GPA and didn't take many tough classes. I was the typical slacker student who only tried in classes I cared about. One thing I'm very worried about is that I failed Algebra 2 in high school which I feel will make me look very bad. After High School I became a completely different person when it came to academics as you can see by my GPA. I know none of you can say for sure but how likely is it that my high school gpa will hurt me?

Also, I have a few questions regarding my medical history. My eyesight is 20/475 but correctable to 20/20. I am getting PRK done soon so that shouldn't be an issue. In middle school I had a hernia and vericocele repaired (about ten years ago) so that shouldn't matter much either.

Regarding the SF-86, I have smoked marijuana about 5 times in my life and it was during about a 6 month period in college. Haven't touched it in 3 years and never will again. A stupid decision during my college years.

The good news is that I should have great LORs. My aunt who is a captain in the Army as a nurse anesthetist, Current WO-3 in the Army, Current Air Force Warthog Pilot, and a college dean.

I guess my question is this, how bad will the high school GPA, medical history, and few uses of marijuana count against me?

Once again, thanks for all the insight and I appreciate any help. This thread has helped me greatly.

• Like 1

Just one.

CelicaGTS- Easy man, you make me sound like a bad guy!

I do agree with Celica OP, see if you can get the fine below 250-300$ before court costs. If you can adjuducate the charges properly and slide under the radar there, why not? Otherwise, yeah, you will most likely need a moral waiver. (Maybe southern states are more lenient?)

Could be worth it to consult a lawyer (mouthpiece) on this one.

Sorry about that man. Not what I meant. Just that LunaC's situation is different. Traffic is much less severe than MIP or similar offenses.

I'm going to ask the judge if he can do a dismissal on cost and keep the fine below $250 and add the remainder of the fine to whatever court costs, so it doesn't appear as though I am trying to get out of paying the fine, see if this helps :) I go Wednesday, so by Wed night I will be able to update you guys. Thanks for the advice again, helps me gather my strategy and keep me from DQ'ing myself!

Kgecklund-the board does not see your SF86. ( Its not part of the packet checklist) It's just used for your clearance. Many people have admitted to using drugs and still hold much higher clearances then a secret;) just be open, honest and make sure whatever you tell ANYONE is consistent. Your credit score and speeding tickets are large disqualifiers.

Hi Guys & Lindsey haha,

I just wanted to stop in and thank all of you, especially Lindsey, for the amount of hard work and information put into the threads on this website. I am a recent college grad and aspiring Warrant Officer and found this website through the goarmy Warrant Officer thread.

Not a problem; I love to help.

I was wondering if you guys could give me some personal advice in regards to becoming a warrant officer. My GPA in college was a 3.91 with a Bachelors in Integrated Social Studies Education but in high school I only had a 3.02 GPA and didn't take many tough classes. I was the typical slacker student who only tried in classes I cared about. One thing I'm very worried about is that I failed Algebra 2 in high school which I feel will make me look very bad. After High School I became a completely different person when it came to academics as you can see by my GPA. I know none of you can say for sure but how likely is it that my high school gpa will hurt me?

I'm not on the board, so that caveat applies to the rest of my responses here. That said, I would argue that your College performance far outweighs one failed class in high school. They look at the big picture, whole person concept. You have since proven yourself academically. Don't worry about it.

Also, I have a few questions regarding my medical history. My eyesight is 20/475 but correctable to 20/20. I am getting PRK done soon so that shouldn't be an issue. In middle school I had a hernia and vericocele repaired (about ten years ago) so that shouldn't matter much either.

Google AR 40-501 for Medical Standards. Specifically, you'll want to look at the section for Flying Duty, which I believe is chapter 3 or 4 (don't have it open right now). You can look up the hernia and vericocele stuff there.

Regarding the SF-86, I have smoked marijuana about 5 times in my life and it was during about a 6 month period in college. Haven't touched it in 3 years and never will again. A stupid decision during my college years.

I can't speak to this with any authority whatsoever, but I would tend to think that AVIATORWANNABE is spot on with his answer.

The good news is that I should have great LORs. My aunt who is a captain in the Army as a nurse anesthetist, Current WO-3 in the Army, Current Air Force Warthog Pilot, and a college dean.

I would drop your aunt's LoR because she is related to you. They don't want relatives. It's just not objective enough, sorry. I would, if I were you, search near and far for a CW4 or CW5 Aviator to take that spot. It will simply carry more weight.

I guess my question is this, how bad will the high school GPA, medical history, and few uses of marijuana count against me?

Once again, thanks for all the insight and I appreciate any help. This thread has helped me greatly.

If your medical stuff checks out (AR 40-501), I'd say you're pretty competitive. What about your PT score? Have you done a self-test? Have you taken the ASVAB or the SIFT? Those are all factors you can work out in your favor. Study up! :)

Thanks for the detailed reply Lindsey,

I checked the AR 40-501 and it looks like I should be good as far as the physical goes. As for the ASVAB, I met with a recruiter last week and he only gave me the pre-test that they give recruits to gauge what they will score. I scored an 88 on it and he said I should score higher on the ASVAB because it's easier? I don't know if that's true but thats what he said.

I'm currently studying for the ASVAB to make sure I score as high as possible and ordered a book to study for the SIFT (it's the AFAST book but the SIFT is so new there aren't any options that I could find).

As for PT I haven't done a self test but I have been going to the gym 5 days a week to lift and run 3 days a week. You are correct though, I should start doing practice tests to see how I would score. So thanks for that tip!

Lastly, I guess you are probably correct about my aunt's LOR. I just thought that since she knew me so well and also has military experience that she would have been a good letter but didn't think about the bias that you brought up. It's hard for me because I know very few people in the military and don't want all of my letters to be from people that I tracked down. I only got the CW-3 because my aunt knows him but I will keep looking. My little league baseball coach is the director of an entire airport in California so maybe he would be a good one, I know he would be happy to write one and is a good friend of the family.

I will keep you guys informed on my process. I just started and have a long way to go but it will be worth it. The recruiter actually tried for WOFT and was denied due to age so hopefully he will be able to give me good advice and guidance. As always, thanks for the info and tips everyone. I've learned a ton from this thread.

• Like 1

Well today I witnessed one of THE coolest things that I have ever witnessed.

My buddies and I were doing some shooting at my friends farm when I heard what sounded like a helicopter approaching. We walked out of the barn and there are four apaches that cruise literally right over us about 200 yards off the ground! Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up. There is an Air Force reserve base down the road so they must have been doing some training there but what are the odds I'd see it?

Thought I'd post this as something to give you guys some extra determination to complete the packet process. Keep your eye on the prize