WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

Are there plenty of people who go through flight school at Rucker who don't have the "flying bug"? It seems many come from all different walks of life (from office jobs, to physical therapists, journalists, etc). I'm wondering if people are just looking for a change of pace and a way to serve vs. really having that "flying bug"

Are there lapses of "dead" time between these stages below, or do they go back to back?

Basic Combat Training – 1 week Reception, 9 Weeks BCT
Warrant Officer Candidate School (WOCS) – 7 Weeks
Basic Officer Leadership Course (BOLC) – 10 weeks (approx)
Dunker – 1 day
Survival, Evasion, Resistance, Escape (SERE) – 3 weeks
Initial Entry Rotary Wing (IERW)
Preflight – 2 weeks
Primary Phase – 8 weeks
Instrument Phase – 8 weeks
Basic Warfighting Skills (BWS) – 4 weeks
Advanced Airframe (OH-58, UH-60, AH-64, or CH-47) - varies

• Like 1

Make sure you check around the site some (a lot of these questions have been answered. I know it's a lot of info but it's got a lot of helpful stuff that I would have never even thought to ask in the beginning)

Weekends are yours after wocs, but from what I understand you'll be studying and catching up during all your free time.

There are "bubbles" in between a lot of the different classes but again, from what I've been told, everyone looks forward to the bubbles. ( it's a tough road to do this process with out any breaks)

And after WOCS, you'll have your own living space which can be off base right? And after flight school, i can have my own housing, even if deployed to places overseas? Just want to make sure my girlfriend can live with me.

I went through some of the other message boards, but my apologies if I missed some of this.

And after WOCS, you'll have your own living space which can be off base right? And after flight school, i can have my own housing, even if deployed to places overseas? Just want to make sure my girlfriend can live with me.

I went through some of the other message boards, but my apologies if I missed some of this.

After WOCS you will be given a housing allowance that you can use to live where ever you please. You will actually be getting it the whole time your in BCT and WOCS if you have dependents. However, many people on this forum (any just what I've heard from other CW's I've talked to) will say that living ON post is certainly the way to go while at Rucker. They say the extra few minutes of sleep pay dividends in the long run through flight school. At Rucker you can elect to have on post housing in exchange for no BAH.

If you choose to live on post, since you are single I'm pretty sure you will be given single housing. Not sure if you GF is permitted to live there if you are deployed. Some one more knowledgeable will have to come behind me and answer that.

I'm not going to explain why because it always ends in an argument but I lived off post and would do it again.

As for the question earlier about the flying bug. Everyone is in flight school for different reasons. Some realize they don't enjoy it but most either came with the bug or catch it while they are there.

Edited by SBuzzkill

I live off post as do most of my friends. It's nice to get away from the flag post a little and the cost is actually less. I live in a house right outside enterprise gate, and going to Post everyday is easy. You get a better town home, then what I would get on post for a single guy, for less. Look at both and see what you like is my suggestion.

Anyone know the arrangements for a married guy with dependants like myself who chooses to have the wife and kids stay at home in Arizona? Where can I stay at Rucker that'll still get me bah for my defendants back home. Is there barracks available? Like form room type barracks. Not wocs type barracks... Lol

Edited by Yamer
  • Like 1

Hello All. Complete rookie here, and just want to say you all to me are minor celebrities right now because I've been pouring over this forum for about 3 days now and I've read most of the advice.

Just was wondering if I could get someone to quickly clear up some things Im wondering about...wonderingly.

First has to do with timeline. If you were selected on March 1st, exactly how long would you guess to actually be in the Army, with the increased time in flight school and all that jazz? 8 years?

Secondly, with the announcement of a possible presence in Afghanistan past 2014 but budget cuts across the board and changing size and organization, what would a new flight school graduate in 2016 probably expect in terms of assignments and possibility of deploying somewhere like Afghanistan?

Thanks bunches. Yall are my heroes.

You're looking at about 8 years give or take. It's a 6 year commitment once you pin on your wings so however long it takes you to get through flight school is what determines your total time before your commitment is up. I think you'll find it hard to leave the closer you get to the end of that commitment.

You'll get assigned to a duty station. Nobody will be able to give you a clue where you are going to end up going because of the incredible number of variables. You can search here and see the possibilities but those are probably going to change a bit in the next few years.

You might deploy you might not. It may not be to Afghanistan. There's no way to tell but if you join the Army realize you're joining an organization that exists to fight wars.