WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

Funny, I just heard. I know the guy who got the F model too. Thats a whole lot of 60s!!!

A couple selections ago there were 2 slots for active duty warrants, a D slot and an F slot. A good friend of mine got the F and is in class right now. They are there, just rarely.

There were none in our selection, and only 1 Apache and 2 Kiowas. The rest were 60s with one 60M slot.

• 1 month later...

Dont use past selections to base what the future holds. My buddy works in the office of the General and the CWOB, and projections for airframes is changing quite a bit in six months. From almost all 60s and 64s to 6-8 58s and 4 or so 47s.

You are going to fly the 67. The rest is up to fate and luck.

58s for me thank you. I hope this year goes well.

Edited by akscott60

Hi All,

I was hoping some of you could help me out. I have my LASIK/PRK consultation meeting this week and I was hoping to take him the forms needed for all the pre and post op forms. I haven't decided on a surgeon yet, but still wanted the forms available. Since I'm getting things together on my own right now (PT, studying, etc). I tried googling, and searching these forums but couldn't find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can post a link here or email a form if you have one to eliasmae@gmail.com

Thanks!

Edit: After FURTHER research, I finally found one. However, it's from 2007 so if anyone has an updated version, that would be awesome. I will post the link below and if you would like to add it to your LASIK section Lindsey, that may be helpful for others like us!

https://aamaweb.usaama.rucker.amedd.army.mil/AAMAWeb/policyltrs/C_RefrSurg_I-O_Info_2007_APL.pdf

https://aamaweb.usaama.rucker.amedd.army.mil/AAMAWeb/policyltrs/Ophthalmology_APLs_Update_v3-1.pdf

Edited by AirOneMatthew

Hi All,

I was hoping some of you could help me out. I have my LASIK/PRK consultation meeting this week and I was hoping to take him the forms needed for all the pre and post op forms. I haven't decided on a surgeon yet, but still wanted the forms available. Since I'm getting things together on my own right now (PT, studying, etc). I tried googling, and searching these forums but couldn't find them. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

You can post a link here or email a form if you have one to eliasmae@gmail.com

Thanks!

Edit: After FURTHER research, I finally found one. However, it's from 2007 so if anyone has an updated version, that would be awesome. I will post the link below and if you would like to add it to your LASIK section Lindsey, that may be helpful for others like us!

https://aamaweb.usaama.rucker.amedd.army.mil/AAMAWeb/policyltrs/C_RefrSurg_I-O_Info_2007_APL.pdf

https://aamaweb.usaama.rucker.amedd.army.mil/AAMAWeb/policyltrs/Ophthalmology_APLs_Update_v3-1.pdf

Hello,

I've never had to have eye surgery, but my wife (20 year veteran) and several friends have. My understanding is that lasik, tho cheaper and faster healing, is not recommended for aviation. PRK is preferred because they physically grind your eye to the correct optic kinda of thingy. (sorry, I'm a pilot not a a doctor). Where as LASIK they cut a flap off the top of the eye, correct your vision and flip that flap back over. That said flap is the issue, as is could shift on an impact, or high G scenarios. Atleast that's how the doctors at the the US Air Force academy explained it when they did my wives eyes.

BTW, a friend in the army paid for their own LASIK, and one eye had to be redone after the flap shifted, distorting their vision.

Take it for what you may........ That's just my two peso's!!

Good luck, and Blue sky's!

Can anyone help me with this??? Does anyone know about the process for a National Guard solider applying for the active duty WOCS/WOFT? I have been to an active duty recruiter and I am afraid he is not well informed on this topic. I have worked hard to complete my physical, AFAST, LOR's, and Resume. I also have gather copies of all my order's, NCOER's and anything else I thought might be needed. My recruiter just told me that he can not help me until my conditional release is approved (which should be with in the next two weeks). I have skimmed and read several forums and read the entire Warrant Officer Recruiting web site. The only information I can find says to go through an Army Recruiter. The only information I was told by my recruiter was that I would go through a civilian board and after that my packet will be sent to Fort Rucker. Most of all I want all my ducks in a row. Thank you for all of your help.

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone help me with this??? Does anyone know about the process for a National Guard solider applying for the active duty WOCS/WOFT? I have been to an active duty recruiter and I am afraid he is not well informed on this topic. I have worked hard to complete my physical, AFAST, LOR's, and Resume. I also have gather copies of all my order's, NCOER's and anything else I thought might be needed. My recruiter just told me that he can not help me until my conditional release is approved (which should be with in the next two weeks). I have skimmed and read several forums and read the entire Warrant Officer Recruiting web site. The only information I can find says to go through an Army Recruiter. The only information I was told by my recruiter was that I would go through a civilian board and after that my packet will be sent to Fort Rucker. Most of all I want all my ducks in a row. Thank you for all of your help.

Find a different recruiter. Call all the local places until you talk to someone who knows what they're talking about.

I had to go through three before I found one that worked.

I'am new to this forum and I have some questions/ worries that I would like answered if possible to anyone that could shed some light. I will try to keep this as short as i can, but here goes.

I'am currently a college student, I'm almost a senior. I 'am pursing a degree in aviation in professional flight at EKU, I have been at a community college as well, but will be transfering this fall to EKU. I have been interested in flying helicopters for the military. I have checked all branches and none really gave me that great a deal except the Marines. I found an OSO(officer selection officer) and he garanteed with good test scores I would be given a flight slot in flight school after OCS and basic school. I can drop out of the program anytime I want during college. After i get out of the military I want to be an EMT pilot.

I guess my questions are:

Am I going in the right direction?

Will a flight degree be helpful even before flight school?

Will I have enough flight hours to be qualified to fly civilian? (8 years in Marines)

Do EMT companies want military pilots?

Is the military a good route to take to gain expirence/ hours to get civilian jobs?

If anyone military or civilian could give some advice I appreciate it.

I'am new to this forum and I have some questions/ worries that I would like answered if possible to anyone that could shed some light. I will try to keep this as short as i can, but here goes.

I'am currently a college student, I'm almost a senior. I 'am pursing a degree in aviation in professional flight at EKU, I have been at a community college as well, but will be transfering this fall to EKU. I have been interested in flying helicopters for the military. I have checked all branches and none really gave me that great a deal except the Marines. I found an OSO(officer selection officer) and he garanteed with good test scores I would be given a flight slot in flight school after OCS and basic school. I can drop out of the program anytime I want during college. After i get out of the military I want to be an EMT pilot.

Will I have enough flight hours to be qualified to fly civilian? (8 years in Marines)

Is the military a good route to take to gain expirence/ hours to get civilian jobs?

Jeff, First, Yes, you are. But no you cant drop out of school because only Marine Officers can be pilots. Which means that you need a degree and OCS first. There are no guaranteed slots for flight school, in the Army at least, until you have graduated from flight school.

Second, Yes, a degree will be absolutely essential, if not required to fly before military flight school.

Third, you may or you may not. That depends on deployments, your airframe, your mission, and the civilian requirements depending on said hiring source. There are too many variables to speculate.

Fourth, EMS companies hire both civilian and military. Again, lots of variables here but its more who you know than what you know sometimes.

Lastly, Yes, military pilots are the best. We are sky gods and our poo smells like roses. B)

I would investigate the Army Warrant Officer Flight Training program. You do not necessarily need a degree for acceptance. A little insight on hours. I flew Apaches and our ATP requirement was 140 hrs/yr min. Let's say you were a stud and did 200/yr for 8 years. That would give you approximately 1,600 hrs. Most AirEvac company's want between 2 and 3 thousand for insurance reasons. You might get in as a Co-pilot or 2nd officer some where but I haven't seen it lately.

A flight degree wouldn't hurt but a PP rotorcraft/helicopter would be a big plus (though not required either). When I graduated from flight school I turned in all my paperwork, plus a required civ test and received my commercial pilot instrument from the FAA.

You only need 150 hours of flight time to be a commercial pilot. That being said it has a lot to do what aircraft you have experience in.

A final bit of advice on the officer thing. I was both a commissioned pilot and a warrant pilot. You definitely want to be a WO if you can get it in the Army. WO's are the technical experts. If your second career choice was to open a day care center then commissioned might be the way for you...

Best of Luck

I won't repeat the excellent advice you've already received. Instead, I just want to point out that a lot can happen in 8 years. You might be married with young children. You may have a mortgage and 2 car payments. You'll be earning a comfortable 6-figure salary with great benefits. Finally, you'll also be almost 1/2 way to earning a lifetime military pension.

After 8 years, it might be difficult to live without all the benefits and take a 50% pay cut.

This is a great thread!

I've managed to finance 110 hrs of civilian flight lessons and currently have my private rotorcraft w/ instrument rating. I'm having a little trouble finding financing to finish up, and I would be honored to fly for my country. The only problem is I may have missed the boat; my 28th birthday is next week and I would need to get vision corrective surgery.

Is it true that 27 y.o. is the cutoff and if so, does anyone have any experience getting an age waiver?

Thanks for your time.

This is a great thread!

I've managed to finance 110 hrs of civilian flight lessons and currently have my private rotorcraft w/ instrument rating. I'm having a little trouble finding financing to finish up, and I would be honored to fly for my country. The only problem is I may have missed the boat; my 28th birthday is next week and I would need to get vision corrective surgery.

Is it true that 27 y.o. is the cutoff and if so, does anyone have any experience getting an age waiver?

Thanks for your time.

For the Army Warrant officer program you can be up 33. At least that is what I saw on their site. I was looking at the active duty aplicant requirements though, so you may want to check thier site or find a local recruiter. Good luck and don't give up.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

omg you are right i have been studying from the barrons study guide book and it keeps giving me the wrong answers on the practice test is there a better guide put there? i have my afast test schedule for the 22 of this month help please?

thank u

Download the ARCO study guide or buy the peterson's, the baron's is full of errors. I studied the Barron's book for a month and I kept wondering why I kept screwing up. It was a real confidence shaker!. I looked the book up on amazon and other people have complained of the same. I bought the peterson's and I did a ton better. Memorize those symbols! Good luck!

• 5 weeks later...

I second the ARCO recommendation. Barron's is literally stuffed full of errors *in every section* of their AFAST chapters. I was finding junk in their "Helicopter Knowledge" section that was wrong in subtle, insidious ways, or wrong without any attempt at explanation. Things I would not have even thought to question if I wasn't already flight instructing myself. So so ARCO / Peterson's if you value your score and your sanity.

If you really feel like stomping on the knowledge based AFAST sections, pick up one of ASA's Certified Flight Instructor written exam guides and study every section that the appendix lists as being applicable to Rotorcraft CFI tests. If you can score 90% or more on practice FAA written tests without cheating, you are going to dominate that part of the AFAST. But it's a lot of work for one section, so keep that in mind if you're on the fence about it.

Hint: I recommend you do.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

This is my first post but regardless, I stumbled upon this site when I was looking for helpful RW information and I think I hit the motherload. For every question there are three answers. Everyone tries to help everyone and it is generally a happy community.

I'm an active duty E-4 of 20 years looking into flight school. I'll be purchasing some of the helpful guides mentioned on this site very soon so I can score high on the AFAST. I don't really have too many questions pertaining to the military flight school or process of submitting a packet but if there is anything anyone thinks I should know, aside from studying the manuals and such, please send your ideas my way as they would be greatly appreciated!

This is my first post but regardless, I stumbled upon this site when I was looking for helpful RW information and I think I hit the motherload. For every question there are three answers. Everyone tries to help everyone and it is generally a happy community.

I'm an active duty E-4 of 20 years looking into flight school. I'll be purchasing some of the helpful guides mentioned on this site very soon so I can score high on the AFAST. I don't really have too many questions pertaining to the military flight school or process of submitting a packet but if there is anything anyone thinks I should know, aside from studying the manuals and such, please send your ideas my way as they would be greatly appreciated!

:blink:

Wat

Edited by SBuzzkill