WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

In regards to an LOR from a CW3 or higher, I work with a bunch of pilots. So far I have an O-6, two O-5s, an O-4, and an O-3 who are all willing to write a letter for me. All of whom I have personally worked with around the shop, flown with on training missions, and deployed with. Given that I am applying for a helicopter pilot slot in the Army should I pursue an LOR from an Army pilot still? Or would pilots that I have flown with and know me suffice? I have seen people get selected without a CW3 or highers recommendation, but since there is a Guard helo unit across the street it wouldn't be that hard to go over and interview.

Long story short do you all recommend pursuing the CW3 or higher, or will my squadron officers suffice?

I came over from the Marine Corps. I got my Company Co(required), BN Co (required), and since I was inter-service, I got a Major MV-22 pilot. However I continued to pursue a SWO, and was able to obtain one from a CW4. I wouldn't go crazy on the LORs, required 3, maybe one additional but that's it.

On a different topic, I will be attending the 7 week course in May. I haven't been able to find the answer anywhere else but will I be required to bring the essay with me when I report? Is there anyone on here who attended the 7 week course?? Where can I find the information about the essay?

We had one. If i remember correctly it was explaining what the role of a warrant officer is and what you think you bring to the table if you make it through wocs. Unfortunately, fly helicopters and drink beer isnt an acceptable answer.

• Like 1

We had one. If i remember correctly it was explaining what the role of a warrant officer is and what you think you bring to the table if you make it through wocs. Unfortunately, fly helicopters and drink beer isnt an acceptable answer.

That's because the acceptable answer is "fly helicopters and drink bourbon."

• Like 3

Bourbon??? You are the greatest American ever.

I bought a quality bottle of bourbon to give to my IP for my final checkride tonight, but we got wx'd and now I'm considering regifting the bottle...to myself.

But was it due when you reported to WOCS or did you write it while there?

Hi long time lurker, first time poster.

I had a quick question while on the Topic of LORs.

Family friends that I grew up with were/are all aviators. Father retired from the Navy as an O-6 and the two brothers, are both AD O-3s in USMC.

I don't think it would be a good idea, or even allowed, to turn in a packet with LORs from people all having the same last name would it?

If not, which one should I ask for the LOR from?

Thanks in advance. I hope to be more active on this forum.

I bought a quality bottle of bourbon to give to my IP for my final checkride tonight, but we got wx'd and now I'm considering regifting the bottle...to myself.

Glad to see the booze tradition for checkrides is universal.

Dont forget when you get to your unit, crewchief looooove them some bourbon! Or beer, yeah make that beer. Yuengling if you got it.
  • Like 1

Dont forget when you get to your unit, crewchief looooove them some bourbon! Or beer, yeah make that beer. Yuengling if you got it.

I love Yuengling but man does it give me the bubble guts the next day.

Hi long time lurker, first time poster.

I had a quick question while on the Topic of LORs.

Family friends that I grew up with were/are all aviators. Father retired from the Navy as an O-6 and the two brothers, are both AD O-3s in USMC.

I don't think it would be a good idea, or even allowed, to turn in a packet with LORs from people all having the same last name would it?

If not, which one should I ask for the LOR from?

Thanks in advance. I hope to be more active on this forum.

Any suggestions ?

I think this got skipped up because I had to wait for moderator approval.

Man I've had many nights throwing back some yuengling. But idk if I've ever got the BGs from it.

Yeah man, I don't know. Maybe I'm allergic to some random ingredient I'm not aware about. Which sucks because I love the stuff.

Reporting for WOCS 11 May and kind of freaking out. I'm such a perfectionist that the thought of not being completely prepared when I get there is terrifying me. I am not so much worried about getting through the course but the lead up to my report date has proven to my biggest challenge. Anyone else here have the same worries? How'd you get through the stress of preparing?

Got my reservation for WOBC yesterday though! Class 17-01 starting in OCT! WOOO!

• Like 1

I get like that before I report to schools or training. Honestly, the stress never really goes away. I always just try and run through all my lists and double/triple check to make sure I have everything. It gets to a point where you just have to just roll with it and hope for the best. Good luck!

• Like 1

So I'm at a cross road here. I have read from different sources on this forum that being in the guard I would have to get my LORs from my military chain of command. I have also read that people in the guard have also applied as a civilian and gotten LORs outside their military chain of command. I don't have a problem going to my COC its just that I have only been in for a little over a year now and I feel like I could get better letters from civilians. I'm also prior service USMC and I have some people from my old chain of command that would write a more personalized letter for me. Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated and also if someone could tell me if I am able to apply as a civilian as well? Thanks

Anyone may apply as a civilian for active duty.

If you are applying for the Guard, each state sets their own requirements as to what you have to be before applying. (Such as already being a Guard member before applying).

Most, if not all, states require you to obtain at least one LOR from your current commander if you are a Guard member already.

What you get after that is up to you and what your state wants. I used my Commander, a CW5 from my unit(aviation), and another one that was a personal one.