WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

Got the all clear pending my bloodwork coming back clean.

Tested at 20/15. Had a close call on the depth perception test. Never had a problem IRL with depth perception, but that test was a bitch.

Yup. I have a problem with it every year. Not sure if it's the test, or my eyes and I've been faking it all these years.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a question for anyone really. My basic graduation date is slated for 12/08/16. My start date for WOCS is 01/05/17. I was hoping someone might help me understand where I will be during the time in between as I have heard different answers from different people within the Army recruiting world. Will I go directly from basic to Ft. Rucker and then wait for my class to start? Is there time off in between? I know I may not get an exact answer since individual cases vary but maybe one of you has a general idea or an idea of who I can get in contact with to receive more information. Thank you.

I'll see you there. I'm in the same class as you. 17-004

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to thank everyone on this post and others who have posted very helpful information. I am still reading through different posts, and gathering up the best tips to aid in building up my packet. I'm prior service Air Force and until recently thought my shot at flying in the military was done for. I look forward to reading more and interacting with some of you in the future!

Flylo Ren, I'm in the IL Air National Guard. Just interviewed for a slot with the IL Army National Guard. If you have any questions please let me know!

• Like 1

Flylo Ren, I'm in the IL Air National Guard. Just interviewed for a slot with the IL Army National Guard. If you have any questions please let me know!

Will do! At this point it looks like I need to study, hit the PT harder, and work on saving up for corrective eye surgery, and hopefully get enough college credits to be competitive. If I'm lucky I will be able to squeeze in two attempts before my 33rd. I think there is a Guard base near me that flies -64s that I can try to contact. That will be after I actually get a packet together though. Appreciate the offer and I'm sure I will have loads of newbie questions soon.

Will do! At this point it looks like I need to study, hit the PT harder, and work on saving up for corrective eye surgery, and hopefully get enough college credits to be competitive. If I'm lucky I will be able to squeeze in two attempts before my 33rd. I think there is a Guard base near me that flies -64s that I can try to contact. That will be after I actually get a packet together though. Appreciate the offer and I'm sure I will have loads of newbie questions soon.

The fact that you are on the boards trying to find answers is more than a lot of people who "want to fly" will ever do. Guard is getting rid of 64's though I believe. From what I have heard Guard and Reserve Dwell Time is cutting into Apaches being down range when needed. I live in MO and they just gave up all of theirs to active duty. Flying Blackhawks now. Have you considered active duty as well?

• Like 2

Active is what I'm shooting for. I only mentioned the Guard base because those (there are blackhawks at another base) are the only aviation units that I know of in Arizona so far. I think Fort Huachuca (where I work) has some UAVs and I think a few C-12s but it seems to all be civilian instructors. I'm not 100% sure. I just found out about this after talking with a customer who used to fly -60s. I started looking into the Army side of aviation and found WOFT and then came across this site.

Originally I was working towards flying Pavehawks, but things with the VA and my civilian flight school didn't work out, and..well it's a long story but I'm here now.

• 4 weeks later...

If you are between BCT and WOCS at Fort Rucker, do you get holiday block leave? Basic ends at the beginning of December and WOCS starts at the beginning of January

There is a two week break for Soldiers to take leave, but you won't have enough leave accumulated. If the commander let's you go into the hole by taking more leave than you've earned, expect the whole two weeks off.

• 1 month later...

Forgot to post here when I got the news, but I got accepted to WOFT last month. Beyond excited. Being a military aviator has been my goal since 2008 when i joined the Coast Guard. Got some questions I also posted on reddit:

I finally got my ship dates, off to BCT on Janurary 4th. Is there a family visit day or something at some point during basic? Wife wants to know.

Aviators who live(d) off base, when did you contact places you were interested in renting/buying? Is there a time near the end of WOCS or did you make the arrangements afterwards?

Civvies who went BCT straight to WOCS, when did you get your WOCS report date? Being prior USCG, what differences besides the obvious should I expect during basic? I'd imagine D&C is pretty much the same, but anything that might throw me off?

During WOCS, are you ever allowed contact with the outside world? Is, say, having cell phones a privilege that can be earned/taken away? Thanks in advance, ya'll.

• Like 1

Congrats on your selection!

There is a family day during BCT. All of the details will be briefed when you get there. Contact a landlord ASAP or Corvias housing on post, you'll be going straight to Rucker afterwards and I recommend you get a WOCSOP to study during BCT. The only course that you will have absolutely no communication privileges is during SERE. As far as differences between USA and USCG, we are primarily a ground force conducting land-based operations. Everything you do in BCT will revolve around that. Talk to your recruiter for details.

• Like 1

I recommend you get a WOCSOP to study during BCT.

You really DO NOT need to study the WOCSOP. Any WOCSOP you get outside of 1st WOC is out dated any way. I promise you will have time to figure it out.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, new to the site. Love the amount of info from everybody.

I am getting everything squared away to go talk to a recruiter about submitting a WOFT packet. About 5 years ago before I started college I began applying to the air force to enlist. Long story short, the application took 3 months as my recruiter wasn't the best at calling me and I only called him every few weeks. I never thought to find a new recruiter but I basically had to start college or I would have been kicked out of the house.

Does anyone know if the air force will have any of the information still or is it in a database where the army could look it up. I never went to meps but I did fill out the sf-86 form.

The big reason I ask is because I guessed the dates of a few things and would like to know what dates I put so there isn't a inconsistency if they look up my previous paperwork.

Hey everyone, new to the site. Love the amount of info from everybody.

I am getting everything squared away to go talk to a recruiter about submitting a WOFT packet. About 5 years ago before I started college I began applying to the air force to enlist. Long story short, the application took 3 months as my recruiter wasn't the best at calling me and I only called him every few weeks. I never thought to find a new recruiter but I basically had to start college or I would have been kicked out of the house.

Does anyone know if the air force will have any of the information still or is it in a database where the army could look it up. I never went to meps but I did fill out the sf-86 form.

The big reason I ask is because I guessed the dates of a few things and would like to know what dates I put so there isn't a inconsistency if they look up my previous paperwork.

They will look at your previous paperwork for your security clearance. I filled out my security paperwork when I first joined the Army years ago but never was put in for a clearance. Years later, I needed one for the Air Force reserve. My dates did not match up and I had to sit down with an investigator and explain.

If you can't get ahold of your old one do the best you can. And save this one! Save every piece of paper you do for your packet and everything your recruiter makes you sign. And when you get in, Save everything, create a file.

Long story short, if you can't find it, it's not the end of the world but it may slightly delay your clearance. I'm not sure that the board will ever see your SF86, maybe someone else knows better. I think they just need to know that you are eligible for a secret clearance or currently hold one.