Jump to content

Recommended Posts

First off I wouldn’t wait six years(I assume) to finish your guard enlistment. Next you can join while in the NG but you will need a conditional release which can be very hard to get. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 734
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

EDIT: I have made a new guide that is much more extensive than what was posted here before.   It is attached. WOFT Guide for Applicants.pdf

I had almost no wait at all. Selected in November of 2014, signed my contract on 22 NOV, left for BCT on 30 DEC. It went quick considering how much stuff I had to line up. Time really does fly by.

My son was born about 10 hours ago, sleep deprivation has begun.... ha.

Posted Images

Hey all, I have a question.

What length commitment are you required to sign for when graduating pilot training? 
 

Also I’m current AD USAF, so I assume when I cross over I can roll what years I have left on my current contract into the required ADSC ( active duty service commitment ) for Army Pilot? 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2020 at 8:41 PM, RangeDrive said:

Hey all, I have a question.

What length commitment are you required to sign for when graduating pilot training? 
 

Also I’m current AD USAF, so I assume when I cross over I can roll what years I have left on my current contract into the required ADSC ( active duty service commitment ) for Army Pilot? 

 

You will sign a fresh new ADSO(active duty service obligation).  8 years for helos and 10 for fixed wing.  Someone correct me if they havent updated that yet, in which case it is 6 years.  That time starts the day you graduate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 7 months later...

Hello new to this forum.  Wanting some insight into WOFT and eligibility.  
I’m 31 years old.

 A fixed wing commercial pilot/instrument w/ MEL.

 Over 2000 hrs total time.

 No college degree.  

Got in trouble when I was 16 years old and went to jail.  Records were expunged at age 18.  
 

Physically in good shape.  I did fracture my lower back in 2008, but no hindrances now.  
 

Thanks!  Just want an honest opinion if it’s even an option!?  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Nathan said:

Hello new to this forum.  Wanting some insight into WOFT and eligibility.  
I’m 31 years old.

 A fixed wing commercial pilot/instrument w/ MEL.

 Over 2000 hrs total time.

 No college degree.  

Got in trouble when I was 16 years old and went to jail.  Records were expunged at age 18.  
 

Physically in good shape.  I did fracture my lower back in 2008, but no hindrances now.  
 

Thanks!  Just want an honest opinion if it’s even an option!?  

If your back is fully healed your biggest hurdle may or may not be whatever it is you went to jail for. If it was expunged my guess is it wasn’t serious enough to be a permanent disqualifier but that is a recruiter question. If you are eligible to enlist and eligible for a security clearance, I imagine a flight board wouldn’t write you off over something stupid you did as a 16 year old 15 years ago, assuming you have made good decisions since then. Start working with a recruiter and see where you get. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, mike0331 said:

If your back is fully healed your biggest hurdle may or may not be whatever it is you went to jail for. If it was expunged my guess is it wasn’t serious enough to be a permanent disqualifier but that is a recruiter question. If you are eligible to enlist and eligible for a security clearance, I imagine a flight board wouldn’t write you off over something stupid you did as a 16 year old 15 years ago, assuming you have made good decisions since then. Start working with a recruiter and see where you get. 

Yeah no issues after 16 other than 3 speeding tickets.  Last one I got was in 2013 I believe.  Thanks for the reply back!  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Submit a packet, you have nothing to loose. Your flight time will not have a bearing on aircraft selection unless going Guard or Reserve if wanting fixed wing.

There are times in flight school, the C-12 is not even offered. Personally, I would select one of the helos. A lot more fun and challenging.

Are you going active or Guard/Res? 11 to 12 years either way.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zaurus said:

Submit a packet, you have nothing to loose. Your flight time will not have a bearing on aircraft selection unless going Guard or Reserve if wanting fixed wing.

There are times in flight school, the C-12 is not even offered. Personally, I would select one of the helos. A lot more fun and challenging.

Are you going active or Guard/Res? 11 to 12 years either way.

 

 

I would go the helo route for sure.  That’s where I get a little confused with guard or reserve?  What’s the major difference between the two? Part-time/full-time?  Short answer though I’m interested in part-time so maybe ANG.  Thanks! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, initially the Guard/Reserves is part time employment with the same obligation of 10 years after graduation from WOFT.

The Guard works for the state and the federal gov't when dictated while the Reserves are a federal organization.

The best part of the Guard/Reserves is that you select your location and aircraft type if approved by that unit.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...