WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

good job bret congrats. im with dr hill though. what are your stats? its kind of hard to get a feel as to what is competitive these days and who gets selected or not so that's why we are asking. maybe to get a glimpse into what they look for through you sharing your "WOFT RESUME" so to speak.

Congrats bret! You aren't in north houston are you by any chance?

also, i posted this in one of the other threads, short version is that there is a difference in board dates for civilian and active duty. Talked with my recruiter and we are targeting a local (battalion) board review of early august.

Thank you!

My packet was handled by a very knowledgeable and thorough recruiter. He had done several WOFT packets before, and he stayed on top of everything. I was very fortunate to work with him.

I'm honored to have been selected. I have wanted to become a military pilot my whole life, and I waited until it was almost too late. Here's to making up for lost time!

My stats:

Civilian... account manager for a software company.

Hometown: Denver, CO

Current Location: Portland, OR

APFT: 281

AFAST: 165

GT: 138

HS / College GPA: 4.0 / 3.8

Fixed or rotary hours: none (does a discovery flight in an R22 count?)

Waivers: None, but had to get a "second look" at my eyes before they would pass my flight phys. Almost had too much astigmatism.

LORs:

1) LTC, Green Beret, Wyoming ARNG, went to school with his kids.

2) Retired USAF F-15 pilot / member on board of my H.S.

3) Retired CH-47 pilot, Nightstalker and Aviation Officer.

4) Exec. VP at my current company / a retired USAF SMSgt.

AHHHHHHHHH see i was right... nice... granted your stats are outstanding, they ARE accepting people that don't have flight time that's super awesome.!!!

man BRET i cant wait to be right where you are right now!!! phew! great job man and hope it all goes well for you. maybe we'll see each other at Rucker here soon enough.

• Like 1

Damn dude, 165 AFAST? I thought my 150 was a high score.

Congrats on the selection. Concentrate on each course you have ahead of you. Its a long f*cking road.

BCT

WOCS

BOLC

DUNKER

SERE

AEROMED

Then flying :ph34r:

• Like 2

I don't know yet about dates or location. My recruiter's trying to get me in to MEPS on Thursday to swear in and get my contract. I'm sure it will be 4-5 months wait for BCT, if not more. That's ok... maybe it won't be a million degrees when I'm there. The South will be quite a climate adjustment for me...

If anyone is still planning on taking the AFAST, d10's advice here on this thread helped me a ton!

Its a long f*cking road.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't getting senioritis and ready to leave Rucker, haha. It does grind on a while -- I've been here a year and 4 months. I'm counting down check rides. After Monday I'll have 4 left.

• Like 1

Haha. I have been on Rucker since 13 August 2010. My last day of the ALSE course is 7 AUG 2012.

How about damn near 2 years at this lovely location? :lol:

Oh, when you take your last checkride you REALLY get hit with senioritis.

Haha. I have been on Rucker since 13 August 2010. My last day of the ALSE course is 7 AUG 2012.

How about damn near 2 years at this lovely location? :lol:

Oh, when you take your last checkride you REALLY get hit with senioritis.

My roommate had over two years, and made W2 before he got out... didn't even get hurt. Just kept getting jerked around before starting Apaches.

...A guy from my unit had two kids. :lol:

I'm about at three, total... ugh.

Edited by CharyouTree
  • Like 1

That's so awesome... our training (well yours for now, mine soon hopefully) is so long that we promote officer ranks before we even get to our first unit.

well said drhill. i give anything to be there and doing it now. be happy with what you earned and enjoy it. i dont think it should EVER be miserable..

Here is another question. I am shooting for the August local board and still need to get my flight physical in. Are the folks at Rucker willing to "expedite" review of my flight physical to ensure i get the approval/rejection in time for the local board?

well said drhill. i give anything to be there and doing it now. be happy with what you earned and enjoy it. i dont think it should EVER be miserable..

Believe it or not, they don't just give you the keys to a brand new helicopter that has your name on it. You have to, like, work and stuff. There are tests, check rides, and weeks of 4 am mornings. There are IPs that belittle you daily (not most of them, but some). There are high standards in the air and on the ground.

It is a great opportunity, and I'm thankful to God each and every day that I'm fortunate enough to be here. But there is far more to good old Mother Rucker than just spinning up your rotors and going for a victory lap around an airfield.

That's why you see people recommend not joining the military just to get airborne. It is an awesome opportunity that I highly encourage people to seek, but when the process takes 2 years (far longer if you include the process of even being selected) some of the mystique of being an Army Aviator wears off. You have good and bad days or weeks like anyone else.

It is still a job even if that job is cool and they pay you to learn. So it helps to have motivation beyond just flying. Like wanting to serve or support your mission.

It might be cheesy, but sometimes I have to think about the guys on the ground in order to get motivated to study. I have to sell myself that losing sleep and hitting the books is worth it because it will make me a better pilot. Not a better pilot for my own ego, but because the better I can be in the air, the more likely I am to effectively protect the real heroes who are on the street and kicking in doors.

But hey, when you guys get selected and come down here, you might just love it every single day and never want to graduate. And if you do love it every day, I want to buy you a beer and hang out because you're probably a load of fun to chill with.

Hopefully that didn't come off as too much of a rant or discouraging! I sincerely hope all you WOFT seekers maintain your passion and make it the Army flying community.

• Like 4