WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

I shipped to AIT from Jackson on the 13th of November.... it WAS cold that day. And some of the ones prior to that, as well... I wonder if they give out the good snivel gear at BCT yet.

I got there the beginning of September, too...I was fortunate enough to experience the heat, as well as the "holy crap, I'm cold". Those nights on bivouac get mighty chilly.

from the warrant officer recruiting team with regards to the forms listed on the website...

"The forms on that site are for active duty personnel, you will need to

use the forms they provide.

V/R

SFC James Grant

"

us civilians need to use civilian forms, whether it be a civilian formed resume or civilian formed LOR it all needs to be civilian. the usarec forms listed on the site are strictly for already enlisted personnel to use for their packets

Congratulations to any of selects who are here!

This is for the enlisted side but I think it shows they are still selecting a lot of aviators. All told, 41 AD applicants were selected for 153A on the last board.

Warrant candidate course selections announced

By Jim Tice - Staff writer

Posted : Wednesday Jul 25, 2012 10:55:33 EST

More than 200 enlisted members of the Army and sister services have been selected to attend the Warrant Officer Candidate Course at Fort Rucker, Ala.

http://www.armytimes...nounced-072512/

You apply. If you're accepted, go to WOCs, and upon graduation your old contract is null and void, as you are discharged. The next day, you swear in for your appointment as a W1, and incur your new six year commitment when you finish flight school. (ymmv if you go the commissioned route).

• 2 weeks later...

I know per regs it doesnt matter what mos you are before you submit your packer but is a mechanic field really better looking for your packet than than say medic or firefighter? Also, do you know the current and accurate age requirement for packet submission without a waiver. I've seen thirty three and I've seen twenty nine and twenty seven and a half...

Edited by Yamer

Yamer, the website still says selected by your 33rd birthday. I guess it could be out of date, but at least it is a source rather than rumors of it getting younger.

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/prerequ/woft.shtml

As far the job, the best job is going to be the one you do well at. I always find that I do better at jobs I enjoy and am interested in. If you do well at a job, you are more likely to find support from your chain of command for applying to other options. Finding letters of recommendation is easier when you've done good work, too.

So if you do better as a medic than you do as a mechanic, more power to you. I know nearly as many former medics as former mechanics in flight school. Ancedotal evidence for sure, but there are people from all walks of life and backgrounds here. Pick a job you'll enjoy and do well. Heck, even pick a job that can give you experience for a job after the Army in case WOFT doesn't work out.

The Army is someday going to say goodbye to anyone who joins up, so it doesn't hurt to think of your time beyond the Army.

Good luck!

yeah I've been all over that site before. sorry i didnt specify but I had heard that is for Active only... is there a separate age for doing it while you are already enlisted in the Guard? i'm doing some more research into the guard route of getting to WO and Flying. just so i can have all the routes researched and covered so i can focus all of my effort towards the one we (my wife and I)choose.

I'm currently an EMT firefighter so obviously those would be what I would be good at but I've been a mechanic for two years before as well and my Mechanic Asvab score is up there. great advice though thank you I didnt know the amount of people there learning that come from other fields besides mechanic...

Does anyone know if the WOFT USAREC Selection Board has any Aviation Officers/Pilots on it or is it just high ranking Officers looking at packets to see if you would make a good officer vs a good officer pilot? I am just wondering because most of my Letters of Recommendation are from the aviation related people like Flight Instructors and Aviation Professors both military and civilian and the LORs state more of why I would be a good aviator for the US Army. Is this a good thing or bad thing?

Yamer,

I'm not sure if the guard age requirement is different. Each guard unit is going to have its own recruiter for Warrant Officers. I suggest tracking down the one you are interested in and asking the question. They could also give you other details, like how long you'd need to be enlisted before you could apply for the board. Each unit is going to have different policies and timelines. My guard unit has done age waivers for people, too.

drhill,

You're applying to be a pilot, so regardless of who sits on the board I'm pretty sure that aviation related LORs will be a good thing. My take on the LORs is to make sure you have good, personal LORs. Make sure that some of them are from people who have known you for a while if you can. This will reflect in the writing with more details. If every one of your letters is from a person with authority, but they are impersonal, it shows that you went out of your way to try and track people down for letters. You worked for it.

But if you have those LORs that are obviously written by people that know you, respect you, and are fired up about how well you'll do on your new adventure, that looks great. It could even look even better.

Every board is going to be different, but I'd like to think the members are looking for a balanced person who can be a Soldier, Officer, and Aviator.

• Like 1

sounds like a great idea to me... I'll give him a call for sure. thank you!!!

FYI... AZ just got lakota's this week... super awesome looking ones too... spent like an hour watching them fly around today. (im like a kid in a candy store and loose track of time very easily when it comes to watching aircraft lmao)