WARRANT OFFICER FLIGHT TRAINING

You could always join the Infantry.

Yeah...with a score of 93 on my ASVAB, I think I could find a better MOS :)

Definitely wanna go into Aviation..I only want to go through SERE if it is a stepping stone to getting in the air..infantry doesn't go through SERE anyway, only Rangers and SF.

(Source: I know 3 infantrymen, none took SERE)

Yeah...with a score of 93 on my ASVAB, I think I could find a better MOS :)

Definitely wanna go into Aviation..I only want to go through SERE if it is a stepping stone to getting in the air..infantry doesn't go through SERE anyway, only Rangers and SF.

(Source: I know 3 infantrymen, none took SERE)

There are plenty of infantrymen with ASVAB scores higher than yours. Don't knock it because you think it's "beneath" you. Even if that's not what you're saying, it comes across that way.

Remember, "above the best" also means you are flying above the best Army in the world -- i.e. the infantry. The beauty of the motto is in the double meaning.

• Like 2

There are plenty of infantrymen with ASVAB scores higher than yours. Don't knock it because you think it's "beneath" you. Even if that's not what you're saying, it comes across that way.

Remember, "above the best" also means you are flying above the best Army in the world -- i.e. the infantry. The beauty of the motto is in the double meaning.

I didn't mean it that way, there are plenty of infantry who WANT to be infantry, despite their ASVAB scores. But infantry doesn't offer the career choices that I am looking for in my future..that's what I mean by finding a 'better' MOS, one more suited for me. Apologies if it did come across that way, 3 of my best buds are infantry, 2 cavalry buds, and I disparage none of them. It's just not for me..I'd rather be going 100+mph if I'm getting shot at :)

• Like 1

Went to civilian doc today (former AF doc, retired) to check on my knee and get a physical, he said I'm good to go, fit for duty..now to schedule my PRK surgery and wait the requisite 6 months, and hopefully I'll be getting into the 153A MOS or something close :)

Thanks for the advice folks!

• Like 1

speaking from experience, just having a civilian doctor say you are good to go wont mean anything to the Army. what you should do between now and when you start the WOFT application is get the pre- and post- surgical records from the doctor that took care of your knee. That is what the MEPS doctor (and possibly the flight surgeon for the flight physical) is going to want to see before they say you are good to go. I had surgery on one of my fingers 14 years ago and i had to track that stuff down before they let me do any medical stuff.

There are similar paperwork requirement for PRK/LASIK so make sure you are clear on that as well before you move forward with the surgery. I dont have experience with that but i know others here do.

• Like 2

speaking from experience, just having a civilian doctor say you are good to go wont mean anything to the Army. what you should do between now and when you start the WOFT application is get the pre- and post- surgical records from the doctor that took care of your knee. That is what the MEPS doctor (and possibly the flight surgeon for the flight physical) is going to want to see before they say you are good to go. I had surgery on one of my fingers 14 years ago and i had to track that stuff down before they let me do any medical stuff.

There are similar paperwork requirement for PRK/LASIK so make sure you are clear on that as well before you move forward with the surgery. I dont have experience with that but i know others here do.

I am waiting for the records from my orthopedic surgeon now, the only thing that really carries weight for me is the fact that the doc was trained by the Air Force and spent 20 years as a PA in service. He seemed to know quite well what the MEPS would be doing, walked me through the tests and exams that the MEPS docs would do, and reassured me that my knee should be no issue as long as it isn't degenerative or cause limitations to my physical abilities. He also noted in his release letter that I was jogging regularly without issue and that my ligaments were sound and my knee had normal strength and range of motion. :)

The only reason I didn't get the letter of release from my ortho was they wanted $250 for a single office visit, which I just don't have. But I will be getting my records soon.

i had a doctor's office try to pull that stunt on me one time, charge for a visit just so the doc could talk to me...needless to say that didn't happen. its good that the doc walked you through that stuff, but i just want to emphasize that the MEPS doctors are not going to care what anyone else has told you unless it is in writing for them to read. And the last thing you want to do is start arguing with them about something someone told you. Make sense?

• Like 1

i had a doctor's office try to pull that stunt on me one time, charge for a visit just so the doc could talk to me...needless to say that didn't happen. its good that the doc walked you through that stuff, but i just want to emphasize that the MEPS doctors are not going to care what anyone else has told you unless it is in writing for them to read. And the last thing you want to do is start arguing with them about something someone told you. Make sense?

Absolutely, that's why I did get it in writing :)

Basically, no signs of edema or pain, strong ligaments, normal strength and range of motion, and made a note that I jog 2 miles regularly in under 20 minutes. I also passed all the other elements of my physical, now to get my eyes done and hopefully should be as fit as necessary to pass my flight physical.

now to get my eyes done

This is what you need.

http://www.tamc.amedd.army.mil/offices/Ophthalmology/docs/2010/Army%20Aviation%20Refractive%20Surgery%20Policy.pdf

Page 8. You will need to have your eye surgeon COMPLETELY fill out the "checklist for eye care provider" AS WELL AS the appropriate test results (slit lamp exam, corneal topography, low-contrast light sensitivity, etc).

Then scroll down and print out Appendices 2 and 3. Make several copies so that you'll always have one even after you give a copy to your recruiter and he wants another one for MEPS/Rucker. 3 copies should suffice.

Don't forget to read Appendix 4. It will probably answer the rest of your LASIK/PRK questions.

• Like 1

Thanks so much for your help! One last question...what about cavities and temporary crowns?

My boss who is a reservist said they might yank my tooth out, since one has a considerable cavity that may require a root canal, and another tooth has a temporary crown from another root canal I had and haven't gotten the permanent crown on it. He said they usually just pull teeth, more often than trying to repair them. Should I be concerned and try to get these fixed before joining as well?

Ok, I spoke with an Army recruiter today, and they told me that I might have a problem getting into the WOFT program because I have an arrest for misdemeanor marijuana possession from 11 years ago, even though the police charged everyone at the scene because no one admitted it was theirs (and it wasn't mine and I wasn't in possession, it was found in a house I was visiting that was searched), and the charge was reduced to loitering at court, but that the army aviation program has a zero tolerance policy for drug use/abuse. What do you think about this?

I was also told that I didn't have to have surgery as long as my vision is correctable to 20/20 (it is, but does not meet the 20/50 requirements I had read in the eligibility requirements, I am currently 20/200), and that having PRK might make me ineligible, which I don't believe, but what a recruiter told me at the Army/Army Reserve office today.

So what are my odds of getting into aviation with that arrest on my record?

By the way, I have scheduled my PRK surgery for the 15th of Nov. anyway :)

Find a different recruiter.

Additionally, look up the requirements for a moral waiver to see if you will even need one. If you do, look up the procedure for submitting it.

• Like 1

How long after my PRK do I have to wait for my flight physical? 3 months or 6?

Also, I was told today that they are no longer giving the AFAST, the last one would be scheduled for Nov, and the local MEPS will be closed for holiday, and after that the new requirement will be the SIFT and that won't be in place until January, which I guess is Ok considering I will be 'recovering' from PRK at that time..

How long after my PRK do I have to wait for my flight physical? 3 months or 6?

Also, I was told today that they are no longer giving the AFAST, the last one would be scheduled for Nov, and the local MEPS will be closed for holiday, and after that the new requirement will be the SIFT and that won't be in place until January, which I guess is Ok considering I will be 'recovering' from PRK at that time..

You are only required to wait 3 months for your flight physical, but the catch is this: usually, MEPS will require you to wait 6 months. It is possible to get a waiver for you to go to MEPS in 3 months, but it is very very hard to get, and only one person from these forums in the past 3 years has been able to get it. Waiting 3 additional months really isn't a *huge* deal. It will fly by.

Are they still giving the AFAST through November? Your post is slightly confusing. I suppose you will have to take the SIFT anyway, so it's irrelevant. That said, continue studying your AFAST test prep and simultaneously study the ASTB sections in preparation for the SIFT.

Word to the wise bud, find another recruiter first off.. At a different office... Secondly, if the judge reduced the charge to loitering then you were convicted of loitering, not drugs... Dont bring up the drug part of it at all, thats not what you were convicted of and it wont show on your rap sheet.

I cant help with eye stuff sry... Lindseys better for that anyways lol :)

The only reason I'm 'in a hurry' is first because of my age, and second my wife just discovered she is pregnant and is due in early June, and I'd like to get into boot camp before she gives birth so I can start getting paid so she can take off of work.

And I wasn't 'convicted' I plead guilty to loitering as part of a plea bargain, the only problem being my arrest record shows arrest for possession, so I'm sure it will come up, and I don't want my security clearance process sandbagged because they think I am lying or omitting details..considering I know they will comb through everything and find the drug arrest during that process, since my local records state the arrest was for possession.

Burns me up that the actual owner of the contraband couldn't just say 'It's mine' and instead 3 innocent people went to jail. I accepted a plea bargain because I didn't have a lawyer and was young and dumb, if I had known better I'd have tried to fight the charges completely. :(

I will echo the comments already posted, find another recruiter. Whoever you are working now is not going to be helpful in the long run and is probably trying to sway you into just enlisting. Even if you have to drive a little further to go to another station do it, it is worth it.

And like Yamer said, if you werent convicted of a drug related charge, then I wouldnt bring up the drug part of it. in my opinion, the folks at MEPS dont really have time to listen to whatever back story there is about a particular situation. they just process people based on what is listed on their paperwork. it seems silly but it is the truth and you will just cause yourself more issues giving them information that is not relevant or that wont show up on a background check.

As far as the timing goes, even if you get the surgery now, that puts you at May before yyou can start all the physicals and everything else. If you by chance get one of the rare waivers lindsey was talking about, that puts you at late february at the earliest. it will take several months to get everything done if it all goes smooth, longer if there are any hiccups. Then on top of that, once you are selected, it will be at least two months before you actually ship to BCT.

Bottom line is, i would not plan on shipping to basic before your baby is born. Just my opinion so take it for what it is worth. Get the surgery, recover, get all your paperwork in order for when you are ready to start everything and just be there for your wife right now (congrats by the way!!). And find a new recruiter at a different station.

Good luck.

• Like 1