Helicopter Rental in Hawaii

Bootcamp

My fiance and I are looking to take a trip to Hawaii for our honeymoon this winter. I was wondering if there are any flight schools/private owners who has an R22 that they would rent to a 1700 hour Robinson pilot for the day.

My fiance and I are looking to take a trip to Hawaii for our honeymoon this winter. I was wondering if there are any flight schools/private owners who has an R22 that they would rent to a 1700 hour Robinson pilot for the day.

Call the guys at Lihue Airport on Kauai. They have an R44 and an R22. If you cant find them let me know, I have one of the pilots cards...somewhere!

Not sure which island you were going to be on...

Goldy

Call the guys at Lihue Airport on Kauai. They have an R44 and an R22. If you cant find them let me know, I have one of the pilots cards...somewhere!

Not sure which island you were going to be on...

Goldy

I saw a bunch of helicopter operations a Lihue on Google, but none with an R22. I tried Mauna Loa, but they don't rent out helicopters without flight instructors onboard. When you get a chance, can you give me the name of the place you have in mind?

It was Mauna Loa, I talked with Ben, the owner. However when I went I rented the R44 and I asked for one of their pilots to come along so I knew where all the sights were! As it turned out, I was glad I did, they have their own "routes" around the island and they dont use 123.02 like I'm used to. The CFI was great and I flew around for about an hour, which lets you see the entire island.

It may not be the R22 flight you were thinking of, but its a great option. Expect winds at 20knots+ all day, and expect to fly thru at least 3 rain showers in your hour flight. The canyons get a bit turbulent but nothing you can't handle. I think I slowed to 90knots once or twice.

Waimea Canyon is pretty cool by helicopter, I flew right into the dead end portion of the canyon and did a climbing 180 using the rising air off the steep face.....geez, now I want to go do it again.

I would talk to Ben directly before you go, but I encourage you to take a long a local pilot...they know where all the sights are, all the cool little canyons, flying inside the old volcano is a trip.

Have fun,

Goldy

Edited by Goldy