Need input about Helisuccess 2010

I am trying to figure out what my next step in the helicopter industry is and am considering going to the HELISUCCESS 2010 seminar. I just want to be sure it is worth while because I don't make a lot of money so I need to spend it wisely. A flight fare, hotel, and admission adds up quickly. There are testimonials on the website but obviously they wouldn't post any negative feedback. Anyone who has gone please post a description of your experience, be it positive or negative, to help me make the decision.

Thanks

I thought it was useful the first year I went, and have since started returning as a presenter rather than as an attendee. I thought there was more feedback after last year's event, but this was the only post I could find. Anyway, just set your expectations appropriately. I see 3+ direct benefits:

1/ Basic job-hunting strategy. Lyn, Randy, and several CPs tell you what they look for in a resume and how they hire. Job-hunting isn't intuitive; it's a skill like any other that you can learn or figure out on your own. I meet lots of guys--some who've been flying forever, but have never had to write a resume--who do some things that probably send their resume to the bottom of the pile immediately.

2/ Industry insight. I think the newer you are to the industry, the more you'll value this. A lot of "How do I become/what is it like to be a _____ pilot." Again, this is coming from the guys who are going to hire you. For

3/ Networking. I think that's what the job fair is really about, especially for somebody trying to make that transition into their first turbine job or "third tier" (HEMS, corporate, etc) job. The CPs that are there are very approachable. This has also become a good excuse for me to meet with guys I wouldn't otherwise have had the opportunity to talk to--last year, I ended up having dinner with Lyn, Randy, Barry Lloyd, and Tom McDermott, talked to a number of guys who trained at/flew for Silverhawk or BoatPix, or places I might like to end up working at in the future, met up with other VR members, and talked to low-timers like myself that shared common experiences or backgrounds. Later on, I've run into some of these people at HAI, and it's made it easier to approach them by simply saying "Hey, we met at...."

4/ Military transition. Lots of time and advice for making the transition into the civi world.

Do some research about the companies that will be there, get a resume together, make some business cards, and try talking to whoever you run into while you're there. Don't expect to leave with a job offer (and if you have

Also...talk to an accountant about writing off the expenses for the trip. Continuing education in your profession is a deductible expense if you itemize. In general, you can write off tuition, travel, and expenses for the trip.

Overall, compared to what you've put in to get where you are and the potential return on investment, I think it's a reasonable value.

• Like 2

worth while because I don't make a lot of money so I need to spend it wisely.

Hooters Hotel Vegas- $19 bucks a night

T.

Thanks for the question. Since I am the creator/producer of the seminar, I totally uderstand if you wish to keep a skeptical brow raised at what I say about the event. Especially since you probably do not know me.......trust is earned. Obviously, I am biased.

Having said that, I am very open and transparent in everything I do publicly in the helicopter industry, so I will only make a few comments and point you to some other resources. Hopefully people who have attended will chime in here as well. Good or bad.

One thing you should know is that from the beginning I was so concerned about quality and value, that I created a critique specifically for the event. Hundreds of them have been filled out, and I take them very seriously. I have attached the exact critique we use to this post so that you may see what we were interested in measuring. Obviously I cannot scan and post every critique since they are hand written by the attendee. I will share this though:

1. As scores go we generally recieve 85% - "4-Strongly Agree" and 15% - "3-Agree" to the questions.

2. Honestly, out of hundreds of critiques we have only ever gotten a handful of individual negative comments and I remember them specifically. We look for trends in comments and find it hard to take action when only one out of hundreds make a specific negative comment. Below are the single negative comments (these were not trends) and my thought/reply:

• Room Freezing - My thoughts: We take creating a proper instructional environment seriously. We shoot for 74 - 75 degrees. Cold natured people should always bring a sweater/jacket to these events. Cooler rooms keep people awake and warmer rooms put people to sleep. You can always put more clothes on, but can only take so many off. Use common sense here.
  • Entry fee too expensive - My thought: I know it is relative to the persons income, but $125 for a full two day, multiple speaker seminar with lunch provided is a steal. One day seminars with one speaker and no food at HAI will run you $300-400.
  • Schedule to tight, let speakers go over when running long. - My thought: We give speakers X time. They know in advance what their time is. If we allowed two speakers to go long and add 20-30 minutes to the end of a long day, then you run the risk of ticking off a bunch more people. Outside of technical difficulties, schedules are important to keep and represent professionalism.......which is what we are preaching.
  • Lyn Burks (ME) was unfriendly. - My thought: This one cracked me up for two reasons. One, I stayed after the seminar ended each day (like I always do) with a line about 35 deep for hours and counseled people one on one until there was no one left. Two, I know who made that comment. Check it out.......this actually happened.......I was calling everyone in from break (200+ people) as I was to begin teaching the next segment on Resumes. While I was standing at the podium preparing to start in less than 2 minutes.......this very big, low time, latin helicopter pilot walks up, plops his resume down on the lecturn and says, "can I ask you a few questions about my resume"? Talk about lack of situational awareness! As politely as I could, because I did not want my ass kicked, I asked him if "we could do it on a break or at the end of the day, and that now was not a good time".

3. Generally all comments on speakers are very good with Randy Rowles always generating the most positive remarks.

4. The only "suggestion trend" we picked up on last year, was to offer a low cost entry for spouses and allow them to attend. We responded by offering that option this year.

There is a similar discussion going on in the Justhelicopters.com forum. Here is the link: CLICK HERE

Good luck, whatever you decide.

HeliSuccess_Critique.pdf

• Like 1

I am trying to figure out what my next step in the helicopter industry is and am considering going to the HELISUCCESS 2010 seminar. I just want to be sure it is worth while because I don't make a lot of money so I need to spend it wisely. A flight fare, hotel, and admission adds up quickly. There are testimonials on the website but obviously they wouldn't post any negative feedback. Anyone who has gone please post a description of your experience, be it positive or negative, to help me make the decision.

Thanks

I'll second Lyn Burks comments......the seminar is indeed helpful if you are serious about job hunting. They present everything in an inspiring way and you will walk away with determination and resolve. What I liked most was after the seminar, every presenter and every who's who of the helicopter world spends time with you one on one, and gives you guidance where needed. That in itself beats knocking on doors at airports across the USA. Everyone is right there in the same room!! Talk about networking!

You will meet lots of folks in the industry...I don't view the pilots attending as job competition, but rather as what can I learn from them in their situations.

You will find out very quickly where you need to be and what you need to do to be ready for that job you've always wanted. The guys who are ready and prepared will show up with suits on...This is where they make that first appearance to prospective employers.

There wasn't anything during the 2 days that wasted my time...All was very valuable to me. This is much more than a "motivational" lecture...This is what the industry is doing right now, what the future is and where the needs will be. That information is given from the very folks who make the industry! Chief Pilots telling "you" this is what they are looking for in hiring pilots. The folks representing the GOM, ENG, EMS, Tours etc... awesome.

You tell me. Where on the internet can you obtain such information?

The money is well spent...You will never know if you don't take that risk. See you there!

Rotorrodent

p.s. my only complaint would maybe be a better venue location? Lyn---what about the new City Center?

• Like 1

Thanks

I forgot to mention...in order for you to save some money to attend the Expo, try flying on Southwest or Allegiant. Really cheap tickets can be had reserving in advance. Also too, Allegiant Airlines is a local Vegas airline that flies throughout the USA. They are really cheap tickets. The closest they fly to your region is Shreveport. Check those out.

• Like 1

Thanks everybody, I am going to sign up. I found some cheap fares. Don't get me wrong, I never considered the price tag for the event to be unreasonable, just needed to do my due diligence. I'm relatively close to qualifying for the "third tier" jobs but I am looking to get some different experience and make more money in the meantime. It sounds like good timing for me to attend this seminar.

Thanks everybody, I booked the trip. Seems like a wise investment and it is tax deductible after all.

By the way, no offense meant to you Lyn, I am just a born skeptic. :D

Thanks everybody, I booked the trip. Seems like a wise investment and it is tax deductible after all.

By the way, no offense meant to you Lyn, I am just a born skeptic. :D

Absolutely no offense! I do not blame you. I can get ridiculous in my research efforts to save a buck or doing a cost analysis to determine the value of an investment.....that is why I drive a 2003 Honda Civic with no power locks, seats, or windows. Yes, you heard me right, roll down windows. :unsure:

Someone.....maybe Ben Franklin said something like, "if you look out for your pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves!"

that is why I drive a 2003 Honda Civic with no power locks, seats, or windows. Yes, you heard me right, roll down windows.

Jeez Lyn, bit of a penny-pincher, eh? With all the money you make from these sites and seminar I would have thought you could afford at least a power drivers window in your Civic. No nice alloys or anything like that either!! :P

Absolutely no offense! I do not blame you. I can get ridiculous in my research efforts to save a buck or doing a cost analysis to determine the value of an investment.....that is why I drive a 2003 Honda Civic with no power locks, seats, or windows. Yes, you heard me right, roll down windows. :unsure:

Someone.....maybe Ben Franklin said something like, "if you look out for your pennies, the dollars will take care of themselves!"

Thanks, my name is Toby by the way, I will introduce myself when I see you there.

I wanted to stop in and say some things about the Seminar and Lyn and his team, but rotorrodent pretty much covered it all..

Some of my team have gone every year and loved it..

i will add that i've heard rumors about special surprise guests and 'bonuses' that will add even more to the value.

If i was asked to sum up the most important part of our business (and your future) in one word, it would be NETWORKING!

and that is what this Seminar is all about.....

jmho,

I hope to see all of you there...

dp

I'll second Lyn Burks comments......the seminar is indeed helpful if you are serious about job hunting. They present everything in an inspiring way and you will walk away with determination and resolve. What I liked most was after the seminar, every presenter and every who's who of the helicopter world spends time with you one on one, and gives you guidance where needed. That in itself beats knocking on doors at airports across the USA. Everyone is right there in the same room!! Talk about networking!

You will meet lots of folks in the industry...I don't view the pilots attending as job competition, but rather as what can I learn from them in their situations.

You will find out very quickly where you need to be and what you need to do to be ready for that job you've always wanted. The guys who are ready and prepared will show up with suits on...This is where they make that first appearance to prospective employers.

There wasn't anything during the 2 days that wasted my time...All was very valuable to me. This is much more than a "motivational" lecture...This is what the industry is doing right now, what the future is and where the needs will be. That information is given from the very folks who make the industry! Chief Pilots telling "you" this is what they are looking for in hiring pilots. The folks representing the GOM, ENG, EMS, Tours etc... awesome.

You tell me. Where on the internet can you obtain such information?

The money is well spent...You will never know if you don't take that risk. See you there!

Rotorrodent

p.s. my only complaint would maybe be a better venue location? Lyn---what about the new City Center?

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the seminar in 2008. Lyn is a great guy and very helpful (I have had occasion to speak with him on a couple of occasions). My only critiques would be:

1. The Riviera did not handle check in very well and I will never stay with them again due to that experience. We waited for 5 hours to check in with no explanation, it turned out that there was a water main break in the hotel and they were relocating existing guests. That wouldn't have been a big deal if they had told us and let us check our luggage free or something so we didn't have to wait.

2. I think that the job fair was a bit small that year. I think that the HELISUCCESS was still building steam and word hadn't gotten out to employers.

The networking opportunities alone were worth every penny.

I attended last year! 2009 and it was very worth the money spent.. PERIOD!

** the package is affordable put together well

** the presenters are very knowledgeable

** the riviera is OK but after staying else where on subsequent trips job hunting in Vegas you will not find a less expensive option on the strip.. (maybe Hooters)

** the Spouse option is Fantastic for those with significant others who are not pilots but are as always important to out other side of life! Good job Lyn Burks getting this included this year!

** the Job fair is a great way to meet the same people you will be interviewing with during the real thing! except when they move on with out notice>>

** I had a good time and learned alot some good some not so good but it was money well spent! in my humble opinion!

this is really a one word response >>>>> GO <<<<<