CEP and ANR

Hammster

I am getting a new flight helmet and I have the option of putting in ANR or CEP, or both.

My questions are

-Can I put in both ANR and CEP?

-Is one better than the other?

-Is there any harm in putting in both and having the option to use one or the other whenever I want?

Thanks for your advice.

Hammster.

• Like 1

I am getting a new flight helmet and I have the option of putting in ANR or CEP, or both. My questions are;

-Can I put in both ANR and CEP?

-Is one better than the other?

-Is there any harm in putting in both and having the option to use one or the other whenever I want?

Thanks for your advice.

You probably can, I know of no technical reason you can't put both. As for one being better, IMO the CEP is far superior. It gives better noise suppresion, it's cheaper and more reliable, and it doesn't quit when the batteries die. CEPs are especially effective at higher frequencies, where ANR becomes ineffective, and where much of the noise in a turbine helicopter comes. I don't know of any harm in having and using both, other than the harm to your pocketbook. Edited by Gomer Pylot
  • Like 1

I have both in my helmet.. and i use them both for different flights. sometimes both together. As Gomer says tho, the CEP is far superior.. takes a while to get used to the ear plugs, but there is nothing like it. I recommend you add a volume control to the ANR, i didn't and had to go back and add one.

One of my flight team has much more experience with the above, if you want to call him and talk about it i'm sure he won't mind.

Garin at Heli-Ops: 303-466-HELI (4354)

dp

From what I know, ANR was originally developed for FW and doesn't work nearly as well for the frequencies emitted by RW aircraft. CEP is the far superior choice for heli helmets based on everything I read and folks I've talked to, and it's cheaper! It just STOPS the sound from getting to your ear altogether, can't beat that. The pilots I know who wear helmets on a daily basis (lots of utility & EMS) say the CEPs are worth every penny, they don't even bother with ANR.

Which helmet did you go with?

HG03

Thanks for all of your advice.

This is a rare moment in my life where my wife said "Spend whatever you want" so I am :D . I am ordering a MSA Gallet LH250 with Carbon Fiber w/NVG Screwed Support Visor. On it I have ordered the CEP Kit, Upgraded Heavy duty Alse bag, ANR, Zeta Liner Upgrade, Helmet Mounted volume control, and the MAS Gallet/Gentex NAG adapter. My outer lens is the gray smoke out, and my inner lens is the yellow.

I fly in the mountains here in Utah, and in the winter all of that snow makes it hard to have good depth of field, so I figured just like when I ski I will put on my yellow lens.

I am planning on hitting the order button tomorrow night so if you guys want to throw your two cents in here I would love to hear what you have to say.

A thought I had spawned from a conversation with another pilot that I know who is going to the Miramar airshow with me this October and said that I should wait to till then to go the the Gallet tent and have them fit the helmet for my head. A question i had from that was that I have never heard of them doing that. Second I know my head size and have passed it along. Third, if I am getting the Zeta liner, won't that take care of any fit issues? Any thoughts on this?

Pardon my ignorance, but what does CEP mean? The only CEP I know of is Central East Pacific which refers to a sector on a plotting chart to contact San Francisco ARINC on HF when flying across the Pacific ocean....

A4F

Edited by AIRWOLF4LIFE

Pardon my ignorance, but what does CEP mean? The only CEP I know of is Central East Pacific which refers to a sector on a plotting chart to contact San Francisco ARINC on HF when flying across the Pacific ocean....

A4F

Here is a site that does a pretty good job explaining it.

CEP - Communication Earplug Kits

A4F

Communication Enhancement and Protection System

or, more commonly .... Communication Ear Plugs

[

See http://www.helicopterhelmet.com.au/CEP-KIT--Communications-amp-Ear-Protection_p_12.html

The pink bits go in your ear and keep the noise out.

Those ANR kits that are commonly sold with helmets run of a single 9V battery and don't automatically turn themselves off. Even if you remember to turn them off, the battery only lasts for 10-15 hrs, 20hrs max. They are not as good as the ANR systems in a Bose or Lightspeed headset.

I'd get the CEP kit.

Edited by lelebebbel

The forum being down messed up this post, but its still valid. Any thoughts?

Thanks for all of your advice.

This is a rare moment in my life where my wife said "Spend whatever you want" so I am :D . I am ordering a MSA Gallet LH250 with Carbon Fiber w/NVG Screwed Support Visor. On it I have ordered the CEP Kit, Upgraded Heavy duty Alse bag, ANR, Zeta Liner Upgrade, Helmet Mounted volume control, and the MAS Gallet/Gentex NAG adapter. My outer lens is the gray smoke out, and my inner lens is the yellow.

I fly in the mountains here in Utah, and in the winter all of that snow makes it hard to have good depth of field, so I figured just like when I ski I will put on my yellow lens.

I am planning on hitting the order button tomorrow night so if you guys want to throw your two cents in here I would love to hear what you have to say.

A thought I had spawned from a conversation with another pilot that I know who is going to the Miramar airshow with me this October and said that I should wait to till then to go the the Gallet tent and have them fit the helmet for my head. A question i had from that was that I have never heard of them doing that. Second I know my head size and have passed it along. Third, if I am getting the Zeta liner, won't that take care of any fit issues? Any thoughts on this?

Order your Gallet from Rob at Merit Apparel in FL, it will cost you a bit more than "other places" but you will get the absolute best product and he will fit it to your head like a glove with pics and measurements done over the phone. My husband and his entire crew just replaced their Gentex buckets with the same setup (no ANR) from Rob after much research amongst friends and coworkers. There are other domestic Gallet suppliers that advertise cheaper prices and have better online ordering platforms (you will have to call Rob on the phone) but there is a bit of concern about the quality of parts and construction (such as sticking used stuff on new shells and generally not knowing the industry as well as would be expected).

Yellow is great for flat light, I wore yellow lenses for 6mo straight when I lived on a glacier in AK :D Will be awesome in Utah winters!

Call Rob before you click go wherever you're clicking go at, I'm a skeptic and I wasn't disappointed. :)

HG0

edit: then again, maybe you're already talking to Rob!

• Like 1

From what I know, ANR was originally developed for FW and doesn't work nearly as well for the frequencies emitted by RW aircraft. CEP is the far superior choice for heli helmets based on everything I read and folks I've talked to, and it's cheaper! It just STOPS the sound from getting to your ear altogether, can't beat that. The pilots I know who wear helmets on a daily basis (lots of utility & EMS) say the CEPs are worth every penny, they don't even bother with ANR.

Which helmet did you go with?

HG03

Sorry this took so long for me to get to, i was out of State on a house boat!!

I have the HGU-56 and bought it from Gibson & Barnes and really like it, they btw, have been very professional and prompt with our orders. Most of our team use the same helmet but i am the only one with ANR, most others just use the CEP. We had a couple of friends that had the Gallet and used both before we decided on the HGU. We found the Gallet some what fragile and the HGU seemed to fit better. I think if i was flying EMS or such i would want the Gallet for the lighter weight (especially long line), but since we are in a training environment and let others use our helments for mountain training flights we chose the HGU.

jmho,

dp

Order your Gallet from Rob at Merit Apparel in FL, it will cost you a bit more than "other places" but you will get the absolute best product and he will fit it to your head like a glove with pics and measurements done over the phone. My husband and his entire crew just replaced their Gentex buckets with the same setup (no ANR) from Rob after much research amongst friends and coworkers. There are other domestic Gallet suppliers that advertise cheaper prices and have better online ordering platforms (you will have to call Rob on the phone) but there is a bit of concern about the quality of parts and construction (such as sticking used stuff on new shells and generally not knowing the industry as well as would be expected).

Yellow is great for flat light, I wore yellow lenses for 6mo straight when I lived on a glacier in AK :D Will be awesome in Utah winters!

Call Rob before you click go wherever you're clicking go at, I'm a skeptic and I wasn't disappointed. :)

HG0

edit: then again, maybe you're already talking to Rob!

Rob at Merit Apparel is very good. ANR is a pain in the ASS in the real world! I have put 800Hrs on my MSA Gallet in the last 5 monthes flying AG and I love that helmet! its the only way to go. and if you run CEP you get the custom fit plugs and you will be so comfy!! and better noise suppression than ANR and the noise isant getting to your ears BIG DEAL there u will still have hearing issues with ANR! Pilots have a tendency to be DEF!

Rob at Merit Apparel is very good. ANR is a pain in the ASS in the real world! I have put 800Hrs on my MSA Gallet in the last 5 monthes flying AG and I love that helmet! its the only way to go. and if you run CEP you get the custom fit plugs and you will be so comfy!! and better noise suppression than ANR and the noise isant getting to your ears BIG DEAL there u will still have hearing issues with ANR! Pilots have a tendency to be DEF!

Where would you recommend getting custom fit plugs? I have been looking around a little bit, but don't know what to look for.

As well as looking at Merit i was also looking at www.helicopterhelmet.com In particularly this Helmet HERE. After reading all of your recommendations about Merit I think I would go with them, but am just wondering what you thought of these guys. I talked to their office lady who was very helpful and when I had questions that she couldn't answer she had Ron (the guy who knew stuff) call me, and he was able to answer all of my questions. She said that they would have to way for Gallet to get back from their month holiday before she thought they could even get my helmet in and start constructing it with all of my extras. I wasn't sure if Merit would have them in stock and am planning on calling them tomorrow.

Thanks again for all of your input.

• 3 months later...