AOPA

Is the AOPA a good organization to join or nah? I'm all for a mere 39 dollar membership due if it goes towards representing aviation interests in Washington. But if the 39 dollars is just for the super secret decoder ring i'll pass then. Although I've always wanted a decoder ring...

It's been worth it to me. There are benefits such as: discounts on written exams, access to their legal plan, affordable life insurance, not to mention you can call them up and ask them just about any FAR question you can think of and get a pretty good answer.

I go with the AOPA legal plan (ATP Level) for $100/yr the peace of mind is worth. If you ever get a letter from the FAA, you talk with a local legal rep first. It can prevent a lot of hassle. Plus I do several of the online training programs they have every year. It gives me a break on insurance and if you ever get a letter from the FAA, things like that will go a long way to quieting down the up roar.

I joined two years ago after about seven years of putting it off. Like others here, I caved because I wanted the legal protection plan. One thing that puts me off about AOPA is the mailings. Even after my member fees and legal plan fees, I feel like they bombard me with propaganda. I constantly get calls, emails, and mailings to renew, donate, etc. ENOUGH!

And now that I am on my soapbox, I feel like their organization is TOO focused on General Aviation. While it's true that they play a very necessary role in promoting GA (and they do an excellent job at that) I feel like they should recognize that a large part of their membership are professional pilots. Take the issues in New York for example. (I used to fly the corridor.) While the FAA is deliberating airspace restructuring on the Hudson for safety, and Long Island for noise, where is the representation? HAI and ERHC do an excellent job, but we could use all the help we can get!

Just my very humble opinion.

Maybe it is just a question of defining the word, but to me "General Aviation" definitely includes all privately owned commercial operations, except airlines.

I know what you mean though. There is always some content in the magazine for commercial pilots, like career advice for the stiff-wingers, but at the same time, maybe they are trying not to step on the toes of professional pilot magazines (like Vertical) too much.

Edited by lelebebbel

Yes. I've been a member since 1961 and it just keeps getting better. They've actually saved general aviation a lot of grief (legislation and regulation) over the years; and their online training courses, flight planning info, aircraft ownership information (such as how to structure a partnership, title search, chain of title etc.), and many other benefits make it worthwhile to join.

It is geared to protecting recreational aviation because that is the most vulnerable area for the government to stifle.