Commercial license via military competency

I contacted my local FSDO the other day and asked him what the requirements where for licensing under mil comp. They told me a CLII physical, DA759, proof of last Instrument Check ride, and PIC orders with at least 10 hours logged as PC. Okay no problem except the PIC orders. My question is, is the PIC orders required? Can that be waived somehow? How do they get around that down at Ft. Rucker with all the students getting their FAA licenses through PHPA? I did that program but didn't have time to get my license after graduating.

I know what the FARs say about logging PIC time, but as far as the Army is concerned I'm still not PC. I'm looking at a rotation overseas in the near future and would like to get this taken care of as soon as I can.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I contacted my local FSDO the other day and asked him what the requirements where for licensing under mil comp. They told me a CLII physical, DA759, proof of last Instrument Check ride, and PIC orders with at least 10 hours logged as PC. Okay no problem except the PIC orders. My question is, is the PIC orders required? Can that be waived somehow? How do they get around that down at Ft. Rucker with all the students getting their FAA licenses through PHPA? I did that program but didn't have time to get my license after graduating.

I know what the FARs say about logging PIC time, but as far as the Army is concerned I'm still not PC. I'm looking at a rotation overseas in the near future and would like to get this taken care of as soon as I can.

Thanks!

The Army's definition is very different than the FAA's. You don't have to be an Army PC to log FAA PIC time.

Guest Stearmann4

Stick,

I used the Seattle FSDO to get a King Air 200 and BV-234 type ratings, as well as my commercial, multi-eng airplane added to my license on the basis of military competency. The gentleman I dealt with (Mr. Kris Kern) required only my graduation certificates, latest 759 close outs, along with my current FAA licenses and 2nd class medical.

I brought along my PC orders as well, but he didn't ask for them. I will tell you that if you haven't yet, now is a good time to transfer what time you have into a civilian logbook and keep it updated after every flight, military or civilian. This has been an immense help since I log all the time in my logbook as per Part 61 specs, which makes it apples-to-apples when dealing with the FAA. There is also the added benefit of having a back up should you find your 759 missing flight times at the end of the year.

Mike-

Stick,

I used the Seattle FSDO to get a King Air 200 and BV-234 type ratings, as well as my commercial, multi-eng airplane added to my license on the basis of military competency. The gentleman I dealt with (Mr. Kris Kern) required only my graduation certificates, latest 759 close outs, along with my current FAA licenses and 2nd class medical.

I brought along my PC orders as well, but he didn't ask for them. I will tell you that if you haven't yet, now is a good time to transfer what time you have into a civilian logbook and keep it updated after every flight, military or civilian. This has been an immense help since I log all the time in my logbook as per Part 61 specs, which makes it apples-to-apples when dealing with the FAA. There is also the added benefit of having a back up should you find your 759 missing flight times at the end of the year.

Mike-

Mike,

Could you do me a favor and reference exactly what in Part 61 you're talking about, and maybe even break it down for a jr guy like myself? I went and looked through 61, but didn't really get what you were referring to. (ie, as a PI, am I qualified for PiC time in civilian terms?)

I've already got my commercial through PHPA, but I'd really like to know what I'm actually building for civilian type hours.

Thanks,

Another Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone,

I made an appointment and went up to the Seattle FSDO. The only items required of me was my written test results, 759, and Badge orders. No PIC orders, no CL II physical, no logbook (which I do keep updated IAW FAR Part 61). Ended up walking out of there with a big cheesy grin and my freshly printed temporary certificate.

Guess it all depends on who you deal with.

Stick/

Mike,

Could you do me a favor and reference exactly what in Part 61 you're talking about, and maybe even break it down for a jr guy like myself? I went and looked through 61, but didn't really get what you were referring to. (ie, as a PI, am I qualified for PiC time in civilian terms?)

I've already got my commercial through PHPA, but I'd really like to know what I'm actually building for civilian type hours.

Thanks,

Another Mike

For civilian time, any time you are at the controls is P time. You can also log P time for flights for which you are the designated PIC, in an aircraft that requires two pilots under the regulations under which it is flying, even if the SIC is flying. Military aircraft are not covered by the FARs, so that's a questionable point. I think you would be justified in logging P time if you're the PIC in a military aircraft which requires two pilots, but that's just an opinion.

The FARs don't really address "PIC" time, just P time. Lots of semantics involved, and different people have different opinions. It's your logbook, so log it as you think proper.