Job Market for over 1500 hour pilots

ChprPlt

Just trying to get a feel on the job market for pilots who have over 1500 PIC hours.

-Have you been able to get a job lately with your experience?

-If you got a job were you referred by someone you know who works there?

-If no job do employers give you a call back when you send your resume?

-Do you have any turbine time?

-Do you have a CFII?

Thanks!

Well, if you have this:

QUALIFICATIONS:

1. Current Commercial R/W with Instrument Rating.

2. Second class medical.

3. 2000 Hours Total R/W.

4. 1000 Hours PIC.

5. 100 Hours Night Unaided.

6. 500 Hours Turbine

I can help you get a job TODAY in HEMS. Just got off another conference call, and there are openings for shortages all over the country. I guess we are getting resumes, but just as several threads on this site have attested to, dirty laundry does follow some pilots.

Well, if you have this:

QUALIFICATIONS:

2. Second class medical.

3. 2000 Hours Total R/W.

4. 1000 Hours PIC.

6. 500 Hours Turbine

I can help you get a job TODAY in HEMS. Just got off another conference call, and there are openings for shortages all over the country. I guess we are getting resumes, but just as several threads on this site have attested to, dirty laundry does follow some pilots.

Don't suppose those would be wave able down to 500 PIC and 100 Turbine? LOL!

Well, if you have this:

QUALIFICATIONS:

2. Second class medical.

3. 2000 Hours Total R/W.

4. 1000 Hours PIC.

6. 500 Hours Turbine

If you only want 1000 PIC, what is the 2000 total for? :huh:

And who ever has 1000 hours R/W, non PIC? :blink:

I am a 1300 hour CFI/Instrument rated pilot and I never receive a response when sending in a resume, like I never sent it. I don't have a turbine transition or CFII, and wonder if either would help. After $100,000 I'm a little tired of spending money. I did decide to get a fixed wing private and instrument rating hoping the extra instrument experience would help me in the gulf but no one seems to care about that. Anybody have any ideas? I am completely out of them.

I am a 1300 hour CFI/Instrument rated pilot and I never receive a response when sending in a resume, like I never sent it. I don't have a turbine transition or CFII, and wonder if either would help. After $100,000 I'm a little tired of spending money. I did decide to get a fixed wing private and instrument rating hoping the extra instrument experience would help me in the gulf but no one seems to care about that. Anybody have any ideas? I am completely out of them.

Someone with your amount of flight time may actually benefit from that "networking" event in Vegas? :huh:

However, if you cannot get into Tempsco, Papillion, or HeliUSA, then I guess you'll just have to continue teaching? :(

HeloJNB

Sounds like your in the same boat as me. I have 1900 PIC, CFI, instrument. I'm close to getting my private fixed wing (just for fun but cant hurt the resume). I also haven't had any luck. I was just getting frustrated and wanted to see if others were in the same boat as me. Guess its just a waiting game at this point.

Boatfixerguy

I got all those qualifications except the 500 turbine! (ok maybe 100 hours short on RW time). It's hard these days to get those turbine hours. I would love to get into EMS eventually.

Edited by ChprPlt

Who is "you?" Not my minimums.

And let's do some easy math...Maybe the pilot has 2000 RW, 1000 PIC RW and 1000 SIC RW?

"You", refers to employers, since I've seen this requirement many times. ;)

I must admit, though, I'd forgotten about SIC time :blink: (probably because I haven't seen an SIC position for less than 1500hrs).

As for 1300 and 1900, and can't get out of teaching? :( Damn!, there's definitly no hope for my measly 600? :unsure:

Things haven't changed in the past 50 years, probably in the past 100. There is never a shortage of pilots, but there is always a shortage of well-qualified pilots.

The industry has a poor paradigm, and always has had. Companies don't want to train pilots, they want them to arrive fully-qualified, with years of experience, but they only want to pay at the trainee level. They begrudge salary much more than equipment costs. They usually end up getting pretty much what they pay for, but often more, because helicopter pilots are willing to work their hearts out for meagre pay and few if any benefits.

• Like 1

Well, if you have this:

QUALIFICATIONS:

2. Second class medical.

3. 2000 Hours Total R/W.

4. 1000 Hours PIC.

6. 500 Hours Turbine

I sent you a PM as well.

• 1 month later...

ChprPlt,

I'm sitting at 1900TT, 1850PIC, 100 night, 75 instrument with CFII. No dice. A few companies have sent me an automated email response when I apply, but nothing from any real person. Got a couple of leads on companies who USED to have SIC positions, but seems like they don't really do that anymore...of the 10 on the list, only 1 still uses SIC's, apparently. PHI says they take SIC, but they require 1000 multi-engine PIC.

(Um...if I have 1000hrs multi-engine PIC, what the hell am I applying for a SIC job for??)

But here's the part that really gets me...

A friend of mine landed a GOM job with barely more than the minimums a couple months ago. He's a great guy and all, but come on...I've been instructing for 2.7 years, he for slightly more than 1, you really think he's "paid his dues"? I can only assume it's because of his contacts, as he has exactly the same credentials as me (and others I know) while showing several hundred hours less experience. No one else I know even got a phone interview. I get the feeling I might do better moving to Hollywood and trying to get into movies.

Sigh.

Anyway. I don't think adding the instrument ticket will help, at least not right now. I'm betting you'll need it down the line, though, so if you're bored and you can afford it, I'd sure do it. If you're still bored after that, get your ATP. Why not. If anyone ever starts hiring again, at least it won't put you behind the others of us with the same hours who've been waiting for things to pick up. As long as you can stand to stand still for that long...Me, I'm gonna get a talent agent and headshots and do this thing right. Sheesh.

Romanweel, are you going to Heli-success and get face to face with employers? Sounds like you should be employable NOW!

Best wishes, Mike

...I can only assume it's because of his contacts,...

You hit the nail right on the head there dude! From what I've read, that's the ONLY way to get hired in this business! <_<

With the economy the way it is, it is boiling down to not only what you know but who you know, and it's in all industries rite know.

Doesn't seem to be "what you know" at all anymore. This feels like a purely favorites game, and I'm not much of a good old boy. It's pretty clear that being a good stick with a good head on my shoulders and a good track record with loyal customers and good reviews really isn't good enough. I've got to be the kind of person who pumps helium to win influence with my betters, and I'm just not. I don't talk a lot about "so if there's anything you can Do for me"...I dedicate myself to the job at hand and do it well. So I guess I just need to become a little more manipulative and start Using people? This sucks. I want to earn a job on merit and experience, not on my ability to schmooze. And yes, I Will be going to the career fair at the end of this month, and I Have gone to HeliExpo and other events in the past.

You know, the only thing that makes all this really actually not the hopeless situation it feels like is that my identity isn't wrapped up in being a Big Success. It doesn't matter. Whatever talent and good reputation I have are blessings, not anything I earned anyway. But it's still discouraging.

Edited by romanweel
  • Like 1

Romanweel, glad to hear you will be at Heli-Success. Try to make the FAASTeam bonus presentations on Saturday from 1500-1800 and then the free social hour afterwards. You may be able to get next to a lot of the Industry hiring staff before some other pilots.

I will be doing the ADM prez on Saturday, be sure to introduce yourself and I will see how I can help.

Sincerely, Mike

Doesn't seem to be "what you know" at all anymore. This feels like a purely favorites game, and I'm not much of a good old boy. It's pretty clear that being a good stick with a good head on my shoulders and a good track record with loyal customers and good reviews really isn't good enough. I've got to be the kind of person who pumps helium to win influence with my betters, and I'm just not. I don't talk a lot about "so if there's anything you can Do for me"...I dedicate myself to the job at hand and do it well. So I guess I just need to become a little more manipulative and start Using people? This sucks. I want to earn a job on merit and experience, not on my ability to schmooze. And yes, I Will be going to the career fair at the end of this month, and I Have gone to HeliExpo and other events in the past.

You know, the only thing that makes all this really actually not the hopeless situation it feels like is that my identity isn't wrapped up in being a Big Success. It doesn't matter. Whatever talent and good reputation I have are blessings, not anything I earned anyway. But it's still discouraging.

I'm glad you're not taking it too personally. Honestly though, with how many people are unemployed, everywhere is seeing some people who will take care of their friends first, and consider the business second. As things get better, aviation will too.

• 4 weeks later...

With the economy the way it is, you also have pilots with the experience not moving on. They don't want to leave a job that they're pretty sure is stable and where they have some seniority for a lower paying job in a sector that may not be as stable in this economy. As things get more stable with the economy, the qualified pilots for those EMS jobs will most likely move on opening up space again at the GoM and Vegas operators for the lower time guys.