Changes coming to the FASSTeam

Some of you local pilots may be coming to the seminar I'm having on the 7th. I will bring this up then as well.

1: Anyway, the FAASTeam and HAI are now starting to work together. The FAASTeam understands that the helicopter community is looking for more seminars much like what they put out for the fixedwing. To help with that they have joined forces with HAI. The HAI seminars will be similar in style to those AOPA does.

Pilots will be able to get wings credits for HAI seminars. These seminars are going to be done in regions. The first being the State of Hawaii. I also suggested that wings credits be given at Heliexpo seminars as well. So be on the look out for that.

The FAASTeam has long had a hard time finding helicopter pilots with a strong background to join the team in each region. So, this is a way to over come that.

2: More online courses are being created for helicopter pilots to be put on FAASafety.gov. A FIRC specific to helicopter CFI's is also in the works. A Helicopter Instructor Handbook is also almost done.

Unknown. I would suspect it would be. It may be a while before it rolls out though. With all the things they are working on it may take a little time. However, at least there is more focus on helicopters which is what I wanted.

• Like 1

Went through all my FAA e-mails and it looks like they have a goal of rolling out the CFI Workshops "sometime" next year. It will be similar in style and format as the current ones except Helicopter Specific. It's a start.

Sometime ANYTIME is great! :) We can deal with the current FW versions for a little longer, just knowing something is in the works is a good start since many of us will be taking them for a long time to come. Thanks JD.

2: More online courses are being created for helicopter pilots to be put on FAASafety.gov. A FIRC specific to helicopter CFI's is also in the works. A Helicopter Instructor Handbook is also almost done.

The FAA printed a Helicopter Instructor Handbook about 10 years ago. It was really pretty good content. It never made distribution for some reason. I believe it was put together by some southern California inspectors who really seemed to have it together. Have you seen that one by any chance?

Thanks Spike and Em. It's a work in progress.

I haven't seen the Instructor Handbook that was developed before. It's possible it was just a local effort and handed out in the area there? I can ask.

I do know though that there is one being completed now for National distribution. Not unlike the Rotorcraft Flying Handbook. Best of all, it's created by a helicopter pilot.

To all,

I have a copy of the FAA Helo Flight Instructors Guide 2002 that is no longer in print. It is very good. If anyone wants a copy, e-mail me at mikefranz@embarqmail.com and I will send you a 74 page attachment!

JD, can you send me contact info for those making the new guide?

Also, please all of you go over to the JH Forum and read the post by Dwaine Parker about Wings and FAASTeam.

Best to All, Mike

Some happenings and commo from today!

To All, many of you replied to Dwaine's post(on JH) with input about the Wings Program.

Today I had a conversation with Jim Lamb and I copied his e-mail reply to me for everyones benefit and to see that he & the FAASTeam Program Managers do care!!!!

Here is our chance as sincere professional pilots to have direct input for what we desire. Please be constructive and respectful.

Also, please register at FAASAFETY.GOV for direct e-mail notifications about happenings for us.

His e-mail is James.Lamb@faa.gov

["I have been reviewing the forum posts on JH and find them quite interesting. I am somewhat reluctant to sign up for the forum thread because often the participants prefer to have their posts kept private. However, if you at some time wish to do so, feel free to put my email address and office number on the forum for anyone that wishes to send me their thoughts or complaints. This can work similar to the Industry Workshop where we ask the pilots and mechanics what they feel is not working and how they would fix it. Their opinion is very important to the success of the helicopter safety program. I will also be sure to send you the schedules of the regional seminars. The FAASTeam encourages everyone to register on FAASAFETY.GOV so that they can receive email notices of upcoming events and alerts in addition to all of the safety information that is available. We are indeed redesigning the website to become just as useable for the helicopter community as the fixed wingers. Rotorheads ROCK!!!"] James O. Lamb Central Region FAASTeam - Operations Wichita, KS (316) 941-1247 (Office) (316) 941-1276 (Fax)

Several nice upgrades and enhancements, plus a couple of corrections, were launched to FAASafety.gov on August 31, 2010. You will like them!

A summary of the changes can be found in this document: https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2010/Aug/Enhancements_-_August_2010.pdf

Sincerely, Mikemv

Edited by Mikemv