Turbine Ringtone

67november

For the iPhone users out there:

1) open the .MP3 in iTunes.

2) right click on the track, and select "create AAC version"

3) this should create another track in iTunes. Right click on this new track and select "show in windows explorer"

4) When the folder opens, you should have the file (ie "turbine_ringtone.m4a")

5) Rename this file's extension from .m4a to m4r (acknowledge/accept any warnings that come up because of this)

6) Add this new file to iTunes, and it should come up in your ringtones category.

This also works for other songs/tracks. Generally you want them to be less than 30 seconds. You can adjust track length through right click->get info->options tab, and selecting your start/stop times. Once you'ce created the AAC version of this shorter track, you can remove those adjusted points, and your song will be back to normal.

For the iPhone users out there:

1) open the .MP3 in iTunes.

2) right click on the track, and select "create AAC version"

3) this should create another track in iTunes. Right click on this new track and select "show in windows explorer"

4) When the folder opens, you should have the file (ie "turbine_ringtone.m4a")

5) Rename this file's extension from .m4a to m4r (acknowledge/accept any warnings that come up because of this)

6) Add this new file to iTunes, and it should come up in your ringtones category.

This also works for other songs/tracks. Generally you want them to be less than 30 seconds. You can adjust track length through right click->get info->options tab, and selecting your start/stop times. Once you'ce created the AAC version of this shorter track, you can remove those adjusted points, and your song will be back to normal.

How do you turn it into a m4r file? I know how to rename the file just not the file extension??

How do you turn it into a m4r file? I know how to rename the file just not the file extension??

What OS? I'm on a Vista machine right now, and it's not giving me any problems. I don't know if there's still a setting to hide extensions for known file types... I had no issues on my own vista machine, either.

If you can see the file extension before you go to rename the file, just select the extension and rename it to m4r. If you can't see it, you'll need to enable the viewing of the extension. On XP, you would open the C Drive, Click Tools, Folder options, and then the view tab. There's a check mark in there that says "Hide extensions for known file types". You'll want to un-check that, and click apply to all folders/save.

Vista: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1269/vista_show_unhide_file_extensions/