MD500e Restoration Project

HeloJunkie

Hey, Richard:

Any updates on the restoring of the 500e?

Maybe you have already got it back, and are busy flying. Hope so.

Later,

edspilot

Hey Edspilot -

Yea, been kind of backed up with a couple of other projects and have forgotten to update my blog. The 500 is not yet done, but its in the paint shop. Another 1.5 months and I should have it back (fingers crossed). I am working on several updates to my website with more pictures, etc and will let you know when I have it posted!

Thanks for the interest!!

Richard:

Gettig closer, bet you are getting excited.

Looking forward to the update!

My best,

edspilot

Made a major update to my website this evening bringing it up to date on the project! MD500 Restoration Project

Richard,

love your blog and the updates are awesome, keep them coming!

My biggest interest is the awesome wire cutter system on the top and belly with the re-enforced beam to deflect the wire up or down. Is there a company name put to this device and any videos of a test of the system that you know of?

Also, I have seen these cutters on spayer rigs before, but never anything even as big as a 500 spraying, so is this just a special add-on for your own peace of mind or is there part of the story that missing?

Edited by Auto-Rotation-Nation

Richard,

love your blog and the updates are awesome, keep them coming!

My biggest interest is the awesome wire cutter system on the top and belly with the re-enforced beam to deflect the wire up or down. Is there a company name put to this device and any videos of a test of the system that you know of?

Also, I have seen these cutters on spayer rigs before, but never anything even as big as a 500 spraying, so is this just a special add-on for your own peace of mind or is there part of the story that missing?

Thanks Auto -

As I recall I had two choices for the WSPK as to who to buy from. I cannot recall off the top of my head which one I purchased but it was around $25k to $30k for the kit. Its been 10 months since I bought it but I will get you the manufacturer information!

A lot of helicopters have the wire strike kit on them, its generally an option. Some helicopters don't have the mass or inertia (or so I was told) for a WSPK. My R44, for example, cannot have a WSPK installed.

ARN

a little reading hope it will help

www.magellanaerospace.com/content/objects/WSPS_Kit_Listing.pdf

www.atsb.gov.au/media/24922/ASOR199403799.PDF

http://www.alpinepacificheli.com/For%20Sale/Service/Engine/PrCategoryLink/3/Category/MDH_Hughes.html

• 10 months later...

A lot of helicopters have the wire strike kit on them, its generally an option. Some helicopters don't have the mass or inertia (or so I was told) for a WSPK. My R44, for example, cannot have a WSPK installed.

The 500 has enough mass to cut small wires, but nut enough structure on the bubble. Thats why the WSPS kit adds some. An added bonus to this is it stiffens up the front end a bit and I'm told, keeps the seals around the plexiglass from cracking as much.

I went back and forth on the topic of the WSP as it was a very large expense. However in the end, I listened to my friend and mentor pilot, Chin Tu (owns Civic Helicopters in Carlsbad).

When I asked him about the wire Strike kit he said simply - "Had I had a wire strike kit installed on my 500, I would still own it." A pilot took his 500 to Catalina one day and hit a set of wires destroying the helicopter. Thankfully everyone made it out alive, but the helicopter was gone.

So in my mind the Wire Strike kit is not license to forget about wires but an insurance policy against the day I miss seeing a wire.

I don't ever intend to run into a set of wires, and I never intend to wreck my helicopter, but I have the wire strike kit for the exact same reason I carry insurance, just in case!

I thought that catilina wirestrike hit a transmission line?

I remember the pictures.

The fact is they will work on small lines. typically the ones on wood poles you see down below 80"

Transmisison lines (the ones on the steel towers) are 1.25-3.5 inches in dimater, and WSPS wont do a thing.

To me it depends on the mission. On my personal helicopter I would likely have them. likewise on a spray rig, or a helicopter used for line patrol. On a ship that does long lining or powerline construction its iffy, you are intentionally putting yourself 5 feet from the wire in a hover. you need about 40 knots airspeed for WSPS and it only works from the front. Really, the only place it protects you is in the ferry to and form the worksite at the end of the day, or when going in to a confiend for fuel. During the day you are going up and down the right of way 200' over the line you are working on. On a job like that, where you are hanging 900 pound insulators all day every pound you shave off the empty weight gives you a bit more power margin, And when you're working that close power margin is safety margin.

I remember the pictures.

The fact is they will work on small lines. typically the ones on wood poles you see down below 80"

Transmisison lines (the ones on the steel towers) are 1.25-3.5 inches in dimater, and WSPS wont do a thing.

I asked about this last year in a conversation with Bob Freest and his folks. What I got was that a WSPS is nice and it SHOULD cut a wire from 1/4 to 1/2 inch in diameter, IF it is properly installed and maintain, you are heavy enough, going fast enough and hit it at the right angle. Personally I consider it a last chance safety device. Words like SHOULD and IF are not words I really want to bet my life on.

I remember the pictures.

I am not sure - I can only go by what the owner of the helicopter told me.

I guess if they never worked, no one would buy them and use them (based on just what I paid along for the kit without installation). I do admit, I didn't do any specific research before making my decision, but I trust someone with over 30K hours flying helicopters to lead me in the right direction.

The same with the insurance analogy. I have friends that has liability only on their ships - they are willing to risk replacing the hull out-of-pocket in the event something happens, I am not willing to take that risk. They also has no wire strike kits! Same thought prevails I would imagine. If you never need it, why buy it?

I will be very happy if I never have the opportunity to test its capabilities!