Accelerated Instrument Training in a 300

Does anyone know of a school offering accelorated instrument training in a Schweizer 300 series helicopter?

Yeah, Baker City Air in Oregon. PM me and I'll give you the details. As a bonus, their rates are usually very good, but Baker City is a icy place in the winter.

I would imagine as long as you have the funds, you could fly twice a day if you wanted to. I don't think (to my understanding and knowledge) that a flight school would restrict you to how often you would like to fly. If you can keep up with the information and studying, heck fly twice a day 5 times a week and you'll have your instrument rating knocked out in no time.

• Like 1

There really is no such thing as "accelerated" training. If you do want a rating ASAP, it's pretty much up to you how fast it goes. Find a school with a sim, a good instructor, good weather and good helicopters. Block out the time and fly until it's done. Show up with the written done. I would go back to Tomlinson on Ormand Beach, Fl. I did mine there. The only drawback was no sim. I would be leery of anyplace that offers "accelerated" training. It takes as long as it takes. Like I said, that's up to you.

• Like 1

There really is no such thing as "accelerated" training. If you do want a rating ASAP, it's pretty much up to you how fast it goes. Find a school with a sim, a good instructor, good weather and good helicopters. Block out the time and fly until it's done. Show up with the written done. I would go back to Tomlinson on Ormand Beach, Fl. I did mine there. The only drawback was no sim. I would be leery of anyplace that offers "accelerated" training. It takes as long as it takes. Like I said, that's up to you.

Well, there are instructors that have experience in doing accelerated courses. There are also new CFII's that do not have this experience. There are places with SIM's, places without. I am looking to see if I can find a place where I can go for 7-10 days and get this knocked out. I know there are fixed-wing places that guarentee you get your instrument ticket in 7-10 days. I was just wondering if anyone knew of such a thing for rotorcraft.

What is "accelerated" training? How can it go faster? If there are any instructors out there that can explain it to me, I'm all ears. I don't know if you have any instrument time, but if you have just the basics, forget all about a rating in 10 days. I don't care where you go. There ain't no short cut for an IR.

Edited by helonorth
  • Like 1

I don't care where you go. There ain't no short cut for an IR.

Yeah, but there is the long cut where your CFII has 400 hrs, hasn't looked at instrument procedures since he got his CFII, and is still trying to understand holds as he's "teaching" you. Once you know how to fly by instruments and got the ground, there's nothing to the instrument rating.

Does anyone know of a school offering accelerated instrument training in a Schweizer 300 series helicopter?

You can give Civic Helicopters a call in S. CA (if that is not too far). They have several instrument 300s and the IFLY simulator as well. The number is 760-438-8424

Your best bet would probably b Bristow in FL. 7-10 days is ambitious but maybe you could do it if you already have a good ground base knowledge and the written done too.

To All, advertised accelerated training is when there is a helo/CFII, maybe a sim that can be booked before you show up and is available to you to fly daily as much as you can successfully until you are ready with a DPE available. Start, continuous until reqs met, test, Rating! OK, stop now! Whew

The only acceleration is in the rate of application by the pilot in training!

There is no accelerated training if you fly twice a week!

Best Wishes,

Mike

• Like 1

What is "accelerated" training? How can it go faster? If there are any instructors out there that can explain it to me, I'm all ears. I don't know if you have any instrument time, but if you have just the basics, forget all about a rating in 10 days. I don't care where you go. There ain't no short cut for an IR.

Sir,

I am not looking for a shortcut. I am sorry you are so misinformed about accelerated training. Listed below are several people who guarentee you an instrument rating in 10 days or less in a fixed-wing aircraft. I simply wanted to know if anyone here knew of anyone offering such training in a rotorcraft, that they would recommend. Spend some time with the links below to learn about accelerated IR training.

www.IFlyIFR.com

http://www.10dayinstrument.com/10dayinstrument.com/Home.html

http://www.aftcenter.com/?gclid=CLvi4ofbhaQCFdVb2godJGSQJQ

http://www.safepilot.com/instrument_10day.shtml

Edited by RotorRunner
  • Like 1

California Flight Center at Long Beach has a couple of instrument 300s as well as an instructor who has several years experience conducting accelerated instrument courses in fixed wing as well as rotary wing. Helicopters are well-equipped, well-maintained, and the rates are reasonable. Although it's a long way from Tennessee, it might be worth the trip west - especially if you're planning to train in the late fall or winter and are looking for decent year-round flying weather.

California Flight Center

Edited by DAWg134

For Accelerated Training in a RW, it requires a school and CFII to clear their schedule and devote 100% of their time to you. Can it be done? Yes.

When my contract was cancelled and I found myself out of a job with no instrument rating. I called Dennis Pierce at Colorado Heli-Ops. With other students approval, Dennis cleared his 300's schedule, arranged for some sim time at another location, and gave me full priority. I flew everyday for 2 weeks and shazam...passed my instrument rating.

Did it cost me more? Yes, but I also had one of the best IFR instructors in the biz, Michael Maya-Charles also clear his schedule for me. You get what you pay for.

Sir,

I am not looking for a shortcut. I am sorry you are so misinformed about accelerated training. Listed below are several people who guarentee you an instrument rating in 10 days or less in a fixed-wing aircraft. I simply wanted to know if anyone here knew of anyone offering such training in a rotorcraft, that they would recommend. Spend some time with the links below to learn about accelerated IR training.

www.IFlyIFR.com

http://www.10dayinstrument.com/10dayinstrument.com/Home.html

http://www.aftcenter.com/?gclid=CLvi4ofbhaQCFdVb2godJGSQJQ

http://www.safepilot.com/instrument_10day.shtml

Keep in mind that the flying aspect of IFR is a whole lot easier in fixed wing than in a helicopter. Just the basics of maintaining airspeed, altitude and heading are significantly more challenging in a helicopter. I've seen higher time guys (several thousand hours) take 3 to 4 weeks to knock it out. I'd be impressed if someone with several thousand hours could knock it out (in a helicopter) in 7-10 days.

My two cents: You're going to have a tough time flying 5-6 hours per day if you're not used to it in order to get done in your time frame. Its easier to do that in a FW, thats why all the 'gauranteed IFR in 7 days' schools. Also, since time seems to be your major concern I wouldnt bother with a sim. You're not going to be able to log it towards the rating unless its part of a 141 program anyways and you need the flight time if I remember correctly. Trust me, if you do an instrument in two weeks the last ten hours will seem like a huge waste. You'll have everything down by 25 or even earlier at that rate. Its not the rocket science everyone makes it out to be. A two week flying vacation sounds fun...Im jealous.

P.S.- make sure to research the airports around wherever you decide to go. Make sure plenty of appropriate approches are available nearby, preferably at airports without major carrier traffic cuz you'll be about the smallest potato there is.

My two cents: You're going to have a tough time flying 5-6 hours per day if you're not used to it in order to get done in your time frame. Its easier to do that in a FW, thats why all the 'gauranteed IFR in 7 days' schools. Also, since time seems to be your major concern I wouldnt bother with a sim. You're not going to be able to log it towards the rating unless its part of a 141 program anyways and you need the flight time if I remember correctly. Trust me, if you do an instrument in two weeks the last ten hours will seem like a huge waste. You'll have everything down by 25 or even earlier at that rate. Its not the rocket science everyone makes it out to be. A two week flying vacation sounds fun...Im jealous.

P.S.- make sure to research the airports around wherever you decide to go. Make sure plenty of appropriate approches are available nearby, preferably at airports without major carrier traffic cuz you'll be about the smallest potato there is.

A few small points. A check of FAR61.65 g show that a simulator or FTD can be used for up to 20 hours of training under a non Part 142 school. If it were a Part 142 school, then they can get credit for up to thirty hours. However under paragraph h, it limits the use of a FTD to 10 hours of credit. Go figure.

The one nice thing a bout a sim is that you can eliminate all the unproductive time and concentrate on the items you need to work on. Plus the instructor can 'allow' you to go much further than they would do in the actual aircraft. Nothing gets the point across like 'crashing' and seeing the screen going all red.

Right now could be one of the best times to do it, with flight schools slow. You will need to find a school that has a DPE that is available and that can make the schedule work. It can be done, but it will be hard work on your part.

I would recommend that you do it in a machine that you are familiar with. But since you are asking about the 300, you already know that. I would find out what equipment they have in the helicopter and if necessary, get a training/demo software for that unit so you can become familiar with it. Also do the written before you even start the flight portion. I used the ASA prepware and have been quite happy with the results.

As for schools, Thomlinson in Florida is a good school. The use the CB for instrument training. Dave their DPE is a real gentleman and the checkride actually enjoyable. The only thing is that he is available only 2 weeks a month. Precision Helicopter in Oregon is also good, they use the C and CBi. And they have 2 different DPEs that they use. Dennis the owner does a through checkride.

One other suggestion, if you already have your Helicopter CFI, do the CFII written and do the CFII at the same time. It is essentially the same checkride. Depending on the DPE, it is doable.

• Like 1

As long as you have 50 hours of cross country time under your belt you can do the Instrument part 61 and use the sim for up to 20 hours. I personally did it part 61 and used up the sim time, which was tough (as in boring)! I wasn't in that much of a rush though and I did my Instrument and CFII checkride together!

Edited by Trans Lift

As long as you have 50 hours of cross country time under your belt you can do the Instrument part 61 and use the sim for up to 20 hours. I personally did it part 61 and used up the sim time, which was tough (as in boring)! I wasn't in that much of a rush though and I did my Instrument and CFII checkride together!

Man! I wish you were in TN. I would love to learn from someone who has been there and done it. Thanks for the advise and encouragement!!

• 3 months later...

A suggestion, if possible when you are doing your instrument training, do an hour or so in an airplane. The reason is all the training helicopters I have seen are restricted to VMC conditions. Flying under the hood is very much different that flying under actual IFR conditions. If don't get at least an hour or so in actual conditions, you are being short changed by yourself and by the school. IMO. Have the instructor get a block altitude and fly in the clouds under ATC control. You will want to do what I call a pinkie IFR flight. Have the block altitude so that you can descend into VFR conditions. Even if you are not airplane rated, since the instructor is rated in the airplane, you are legal. With minor exceptions, I have done that will all my instrument students. It could take some time, as you have to wait for the right weather. In every case the student was surprised to the actual differences.

• Like 1

I'm free for the next two and a half months. If you can get hold of an aircraft, I'll do your instrument training for you!;)

Edited by Trans Lift

I did an accellerated program when i got my fixed wing IFR. Flew 10 days and had a checkride on the 11th day. I wish there was something like this for the helo guys out there. Would make life a lot easier.

It sure would! Especially for those of us who never intend on using it, and are only getting it as a job pre-requisite! <_<

I've searched around, and unfortunately all the places I found wanted you to have your own helicopter. :(