Helicycle is now flying

StanFoster

On September 1st I first flew my Helicycle that I have been building on the last 2.5 years. Most of that time was waiting for the 4 shipments that the kit delivered in. I must say that the wait was worth it...the quality of the components were exceptional. I had to solo in an R22 before they send the elastomeric bearings to me...plus their factory guy came to my place and spent four days checking over my work, starting the turbine...and dynamically balancing the blades. Doug Schwochert did this and did he ever get my blades smooth as glass. I received my helicopter rating last October and the company said if I can fly an R22, this will be much easier. That is one big understatement. This machine is very docile....extremely smooth and all kinds of extra power. It easily flies 100-110. Anything much over 110...with the belts set at the correct tension...they will slip a little....showing the rotor rpm dropping a couple of rpms. I have watched several guys flying their Helicycles for years....and this thing is a tractor. Very easy to fly...very easy to maintain. I know its not certified, but its as good a non certified helicopter there is ......in my opinion.

Here is a video of myself approaching my woods where I fly it into. There is a 70 foot wide chopper channel cut into the woods. My camera is mounted out in the breeze and gets buffeted a lot. That cabin is as smooth a helicopter I have ever been in.

Stan Foster Illinois

www.stansstairways.com

Stan,

first, Congrats-well done,

second, I can see how smooth the rotor system is as you idle and shut down, SUPERB!

third, no need to fly down the alley of trees, it appears from the video that you have a large enough LZ to make a normal approach into the wind!

Best Wishes, enjoy, be safe,

Mikemv

Hey Stan, Congrat's...

I am jealous, would love to build one of those. I have watched many video of those

from the Bell Ranch Fly In's. Those fly in's look so fun. Maybe one day I can finish my

ratings. I have started a new business about 15 months back and hope to be able to

get an aircraft sometime in the future.

Blue Skies!!!

Hey Stan, Congrat's...

I am jealous, would love to build one of those. I have watched many video of those

from the Bell Ranch Fly In's. Those fly in's look so fun. Maybe one day I can finish my

ratings. I have started a new business about 15 months back and hope to be able to

get an aircraft sometime in the future.

Blue Skies!!!

Thanks guys- Here is a steep approach I flew yesterday into my shop where I keep my helicopter.

Stan

Air 1......thanks for the interpretation. I am not retarded.....just s-l-o-w! ha

Operating costs are minimal until you reach 1500 hours. Thats when the rotor blades..transmission and tail rotor have to be replaced. Other than that....12-13 gallons of kerosene...JetA per hour. Elastomeric bearings..around $1.50 an hour. Drive belts....$0.50 an hour....oil changes/filter changes... 0.25 dollars an hour. other than that...very miniscule. I talked to the higest time Helicycle pilot...and the first part he showed me that wore out other than the above drive belts, elastomeric bearings...was a $6 rodend on his tail rotor. He has over 600 hours on his ship.

I may be mistaken on the elastomeric bearings. I know they cost $450....and I conservatively estimated 300 hours. However...if you dont preset your collective to 3 degrees pitet before spinup.....you will shorten the life of these each time you do that. Then they may only last 100 hours. I have never heard of anyone getting less than 250 hours out of them.

This machine is a breeze to look over...grease....adjust.....I am keeping a log of maintenance time versus flying time, just to see if I have the average of 10 minutes maintenance per flying hour. I know I worked on my gyroplanes that I have 800 plus hours flying in...lots more than 10 minutes per hour flying. Time will tell....

Stan

Congrads Stan !! :D

I know the feeling of flying something you built with your own hands. Enjoy it but remember to stay within the machine's limitations. My Rotorway has been flying great and someday I will make the switch to the turbine engine.

Bill

Congrads Stan !! :D

I know the feeling of flying something you built with your own hands. Enjoy it but remember to stay within the machine's limitations. My Rotorway has been flying great and someday I will make the switch to the turbine engine.

Bill

Bill- Thanks. I know what you mean by staying within the machines limitations. A good example is the tension on the drive belts. They are designed to slip any faster that 110 mph. I know some that tighten the belts past what they are supposed to be so they can fly 130 mph. Not me......I love this machine and want to keep it that way.

Stan

• 3 weeks later...

Bill- Thanks. I know what you mean by staying within the machines limitations. A good example is the tension on the drive belts. They are designed to slip any faster that 110 mph. I know some that tighten the belts past what they are supposed to be so they can fly 130 mph. Not me......I love this machine and want to keep it that way.

Stan

Is the flying still going good Stan? I keep watching for new uploads on youtube of your machine. Good work!