FASTEST HELICOPTER?

MileHi480B

I was standing 10 feet away when they unveiled it that year with all the smoke and curtains!!

Anyway, I am hoping to see a VNE of 275 knots. Just awesome!

I'd rather just take a Cessna 310 and get there even quicker with less fuel burn... :P

I'd rather have more fun on the way and make you buy the beer!

Can you imagine talking to ATC? Ummm, we see you at 260 knots, confirm you're a helicopter?

Edited by Goldy

Alright...I'll take a Pilatus Porter with a Garrett then... :P

I'll raise you with a Piaggio Avanti....pretty soon we'll get there so damn fast it won't be any fun!

Edited by Goldy

I'll raise you with a Piaggio Avanti....pretty soon we'll get there so damn fast it won't be any fun!

Those are pretty cool too...but the Porter is like an "Ultra STOL"...about as close to a helicopter approach as you can get... :P

But, I'll go ahead and raise you with an F-16...complete with missiles and guns... :D

Those are pretty cool too...but the Porter is like an "Ultra STOL"...about as close to a helicopter approach as you can get... :P

But, I'll go ahead and raise you with an F-16...complete with missiles and guns... :D

If we're going fast and slow with guns I'm thinking F-35B

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_F-35_Lightning_II#F-35B

Real Pilots dont need Runways!?!??!?!? Seriously!??!? this just pisses me off about you bunch of arrogant Heli pilots that just think Coppters are the coolest thing in the world and Fixed Wing is just stupid.Dont get me wrong I LOVE Coppters and still fly them for work, But if you want to see a Real mans job you come up the the great NW and watch us fly AG in the Hills of the palouse. Using every foot of Runway for takeoff! just dont be so closed minded every pilot should fly both RW & FW it will make you a way better Stick and a more rounded skilled person. Both aircraft are very mission specific and you need both.

I would challenge any one you you that dont like FW to come out here and Ill take you up in my Citabria and rally around like you never have before. then tell me you hate planes!

• Like 1

Real Pilots dont need Runways!?!??!?!? Seriously!??!? this just pisses me off about you bunch of arrogant Heli pilots that just think Coppters are the coolest thing in the world and Fixed Wing is just stupid.

:rolleyes:

Back away from the keyboard with your hands above your head. Take two deep breaths and repeat after me: "I must save up to buy a sense of humor... I must save up to buy a sense of humor."

It's all good. There are plenty of dual-rated folks on this board.

Helicopter, it is supported by the rotor moving air down through the rotor and derives a substantial portion of its forward speed from the rotor but it is augmented by the pusher prop.

Airplane wings don't support the aircraft in a hover and Gyros can't hover because the air is moving the wrong direction through the rotor.

Did I miss something?

Jerry

"The X2 is a compound aircraft, not a true helicopter," said Elfan Ap Rees, the editor of Helicopter International magazine in Great Britain, who objected after Sikorsky's July 26 statement that the X2 had reached 225 knots, setting an unofficial speed record. "…The X2 is a fine technological achievement with great promise and Sikorsky should be proud of that and not belittle its success with inaccurate claims."

The 5,000-pound, single-pilot X2 has one engine, two counter-rotating main rotors on top — and a rear "pusher" propeller to give it extra thrust.

Geoff Russell, a spokesman for AgustaWestland, a Sikorsky competitor in Europe, also said the X2 does not qualify as a "pure helicopter" because it generates power from a device other than the main rotor atop the aircraft.

• Like 1

Sounds just like a competitor that didn't get there first. I found the following definitions and the last one seems most accurate.

Helicopter (ICAO Definition)

Helicopter- Helicopter denotes a rotorcraft that primarily depends on engine driven rotors for motion. Helicopter is an aircraft sub category.

...read morePosted in ICAO Terms | Tagged ICAO, International

Helicopter – 14 CFR 1.1

Helicopter means a rotorcraft that, for its horizontal motion, depends principally on its engine-driven rotors.

...read morePosted in FAA Terms | Tagged 14 CFR 1.1, FAA, Regulatory

Helicopter Definition Sweatshirt

A million parts flying in formation

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100927/tc_nm/us_eurocopter_x3_2

Here's one that does 220 knots...wouldn't wanna do much long lining with it though... :P

I was wondering what kind of certificate I would need to fly that thing. Rotary and a twin engine fixed wing rating combined?

Lets see a complex, high performance and REALLY REALLY complex rating!!

Goldy