Attention So Cal pilots !!

Goldy

It's not too late to still attend the PHPA annual safety seminar on Wednesday, Sept. 22, 2010. Starts at 9 am, get there at 8:30, fly-in if you want to.

Hawthorne Airport.

See the link for the flyer, if you fly around Los Angeles you really need to know what is changing on the Helicopter Low Altitude Chart.

Also a discussion of what to do when you are hit with a laser starts at 1pm

Dont miss this!

Call, email me or VR message me to RSVP. Especially if you are flying in.

Goldy

http://www.phpa.org/2010/2010%20Annual%20Meeting-Safety%20Sem%20Flyer.pdf

It's not too late to still attend the PHPA annual safety seminar on Wednesday, Sept. 22, 2010. Starts at 9 am, get there at 8:30, fly-in if you want to.

Hawthorne Airport.

See the link for the flyer, if you fly around Los Angeles you really need to know what is changing on the Helicopter Low Altitude Chart.

Also a discussion of what to do when you are hit with a laser starts at 1pm

Dont miss this!

Call, email me or VR message me to RSVP. Especially if you are flying in.

Goldy

http://www.phpa.org/2010/2010%20Annual%20Meeting-Safety%20Sem%20Flyer.pdf

where can we find the info if we missed it?

me too :rolleyes:

Couple quick notes

Harbor freq of 129.00 is gone effective a few months ago, use 123.025

Expect the new chart to show new routes around TOA, due to noise complaints..use the beach route around PV and over the water.

There are 9 or 10 practice areas with discrete freq's for use, but they can't put them on the chart (FAA rules). You can find them on another website....I'll find it and post

Disneyland TFR- No enforcement action ever taken. Be sure to be in contact with a nearby tower if flying thru it, ok to fly thru it if you have a So Cal squawk code.

There are a group of 10 charted "congested" areas in the basin. Working to address some, but no good solution for all of them. Be aware, be vigilent in these areas. Simi Valley and Newhall Pass are two I am in all the time.

Proposed changes to Long Beach into a Class C would push even more practice into the Harbor/PV practice areas, making them more congested. A couple new approved routes coming over LAX. Unfortunately one is called the "Shoreline Transition" on the Term Chart, which may be confused with the Shoreline Transition on the helicopter chart. Not the same transition rules obviously.

If you fly anywhere near LA, just sign up for the PHPA email alerts at www.phpa.org to keep up with LA stuff!

Also LAPD and LASD are forming an alliance with the FBI to investigate laser attacks on aircraft in the LA Basin...more on that later. Lasers get cheaper and more powerful every day, and people get stupider. Now its at the point where you could easily get blinded (permanently or temp.) by a direct hit to the cornea. Only a matter of time before we lose a ship due to a laser attack.

Goldy

• 4 weeks later...

Couple quick notes

Harbor freq of 129.00 is gone effective a few months ago, use 123.025

Expect the new chart to show new routes around TOA, due to noise complaints..use the beach route around PV and over the water.

There are 9 or 10 practice areas with discrete freq's for use, but they can't put them on the chart (FAA rules). You can find them on another website....I'll find it and post

Disneyland TFR- No enforcement action ever taken. Be sure to be in contact with a nearby tower if flying thru it, ok to fly thru it if you have a So Cal squawk code.

There are a group of 10 charted "congested" areas in the basin. Working to address some, but no good solution for all of them. Be aware, be vigilent in these areas. Simi Valley and Newhall Pass are two I am in all the time.

Proposed changes to Long Beach into a Class C would push even more practice into the Harbor/PV practice areas, making them more congested. A couple new approved routes coming over LAX. Unfortunately one is called the "Shoreline Transition" on the Term Chart, which may be confused with the Shoreline Transition on the helicopter chart. Not the same transition rules obviously.

If you fly anywhere near LA, just sign up for the PHPA email alerts at www.phpa.org to keep up with LA stuff!

Also LAPD and LASD are forming an alliance with the FBI to investigate laser attacks on aircraft in the LA Basin...more on that later. Lasers get cheaper and more powerful every day, and people get stupider. Now its at the point where you could easily get blinded (permanently or temp.) by a direct hit to the cornea. Only a matter of time before we lose a ship due to a laser attack.

Goldy

Goldy -

Thanks for the great info!! :-)

just saw this, thanks Goldy!

great info and definitely 'need to know' stuff.

Derek

Hey no problem guys. I have the link to the airspace group and their hot spot list here

http://www.scauwg.org/scauwg/labasinhotspots.html

Edited by Goldy