Ipad with Ram Mount

Snowman

Would have posted this sooner, but was in Honduras running from Matthew. Flew last week with my ipad using ForeFlight and a Ram Mount. Everything worked great, can't say I had any issues or complaints. The screen is huge, the picture was clear with very little glare (although I did order an anti-glaire screen cover), the GPS appeared to be very accurate. It provided me with just about all the current info you could possible ask for and you can file your flight plan with it. All this for less then a $1000.00 and it should only get better from here as the apps improve. Just my two cents. :P

• Like 1

exact same mount that I have. I use it as a 'temp' setup since I rent the helis, instead of own one. I have the 696 on my left knee as the 'main source' since I'm unsure of trusting the iPad completely yet... :rolleyes:

Though a lot of people do use it on its own. Plus I have the money invested in the 696.

Foreflight is an amazing, amazing app. Worth every penny.

FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE OF US WANTING TO COMPARE ...

Here is what I get with the 696. How much of this do I get with the iPad?

• AIRPORT DIRECTORY INFO
  • MOVING MAP
  • WEATHER OVERLAY ONTP MOVING MAP
  • TRAFFIC ADVISORIES (XPONDER BASED)
  • TERRAIN & OBSTACLE DEPICTION AND WARNINGS
  • USER WAYPOINT ENTRIES
  • FLIGHT PLANS
  • LIGHTNING STRIKES
  • WINDS ALOFT

The iPad can take over the aviation market if it could deliver these services. The technology does exist.

Edited by MileHiR44

300C it works great, I use the suction cup Ram Mount and stick it to the bubble.

• Like 1

Rumour has it that Apple will be coming out with a new, slightly smaller iPad. So, I'm wondering what do those of you who use it in the aircraft think about the size of the current model? Do you think a smaller one (say 5X7 instead of 7.5X9.5) would be easier to handle while still being very legible/usable?

The size is one of the best things about it, I can see everything so clearly and have not had any issues with it being to large. Smaller may be helpful if it is used as a kneeboard or in a smaller craft like the r22. Just my take on it, I also use it when traveling for email, moves and internet.

• Like 1

I have a thin rubber case on my Ipad, I have to take it off to use the ram mount, it is a very tight and precise fit. You can only put a Ipad without a case in the Ram Mount. I recently saw the otter box for the ipad, do you have one? How do you like it?

The size is one of the best things about it, I can see everything so clearly and have not had any issues with it being to large. Smaller may be helpful if it is used as a kneeboard or in a smaller craft like the r22. Just my take on it, I also use it when traveling for email, moves and internet.

Hmmm, I love the idea of having such a large moving map...I'm gonna have to visit Best Buy and take another look. I looked at the iPad briefly a few months ago and, at the time, I thought it looked too big to use in an aircraft. I primarily fly an A-Star.

I love the otterbox for the iPad... I picked it up from amazon for about 55 bucks... I purchased the iPad on Friday and brought it directly home and put it inside... The otter box doesn't have a hard plastic screen cover like the iPhone does, but it does come with a screen protector film that is kind of a pain to put on.

Ryan