The Journey Begins...

Hello fellow VR members! First off I want to echo what so many people have stated about this site and the people on it... I have the utmost respect for all of you. The information provided here has been more than helpful in getting this packet underway(Lindsey, your posts are incredible!). I have been following this site for quite awhile now, acquiring and studying different materials, as well as training physically for the road ahead. I finally feel I am ready to begin...

Let me introduce myself very briefly. I am a senior Aviation Management major(second senior year) at Oklahoma State University. I spent my first three years studying aerospace/mechanical engineering with the intention of pursuing flying as a hobby. Well, by year three I realized like so many of you, I had a passion for aviation and wouldn't settle for recreational flying. The military has always interested me, so I began looking into the different branches and opportunities for people with interests such as mine. Here I am! I look forward to getting to know all of you guys throughout this process.

I am getting ready to schedule classes for my final semester and it seems I have room for two additional classes in my schedule. My options are taking classes to get my PPL through my school, or taking two additional upper level math courses in order to secure a math minor (since I had all those math credits from engineering!). Which would provide me with a greater advantage in the long run? I think the choice is obvious, but want to hear your thoughts. Thanks again for all the help thus far!

Getting started in this industry is very hard, and takes a long time, so you'll need a way to "pay the bills" while you're trying.

A college degree is definitly worth more than flight training, so finish the math minor, it may just help you get a job while you're waiting to start your career.

:)

Hello fellow VR members! First off I want to echo what so many people have stated about this site and the people on it... I have the utmost respect for all of you. The information provided here has been more than helpful in getting this packet underway(Lindsey, your posts are incredible!). I have been following this site for quite awhile now, acquiring and studying different materials, as well as training physically for the road ahead. I finally feel I am ready to begin...

Let me introduce myself very briefly. I am a senior Aviation Management major(second senior year) at Oklahoma State University. I spent my first three years studying aerospace/mechanical engineering with the intention of pursuing flying as a hobby. Well, by year three I realized like so many of you, I had a passion for aviation and wouldn't settle for recreational flying. The military has always interested me, so I began looking into the different branches and opportunities for people with interests such as mine. Here I am! I look forward to getting to know all of you guys throughout this process.

I am getting ready to schedule classes for my final semester and it seems I have room for two additional classes in my schedule. My options are taking classes to get my PPL through my school, or taking two additional upper level math courses in order to secure a math minor (since I had all those math credits from engineering!). Which would provide me with a greater advantage in the long run? I think the choice is obvious, but want to hear your thoughts. Thanks again for all the help thus far!

Math Minor!

I am going to go against the grain and say do whichever makes you most happy. I'm not sure that a math minor will really stand out (though getting it is definitely not a bad thing, mind you), but I'm also not on any hiring staff. Don't burn yourself out.

Here are some stats gathered by a friend of mine while completing a dissertation for his PHD. He did his dissertation on the value of selecting a "good" minor study program.

He ramdomly selected 50 university graduates (same school) from 1995 and then interviewed/surveyed them in 2005.

His dissertation question was: How important is a "minor" study to a typical graduate?

Results after graduation:

At 1 year: 100% were in their major field & 0% in minor field

At 2 years: 98% were still working in their major field & 1% in minor field

At 5 years: 89% were in major & 10% in minor field

At 7 years: 63% were in their major & 35% in minor field

At 10 years: 48% were in their major & 47% in their field

The interesting thing he found was their comments for them changing from major to minor fields as they got further away from graduation:

* company sold or taken-over

* spouse's job moved us could not find a job in my major

* company laid me off, had to find something quick

* poor health, had to find something better for me

* family health reasons, had to get better health coverage

* major field became boring

These were the common reasons for them switching.

In the end his conclusion was:

"Be careful what you choose as a "minor" field of study, because it could become a "major" provider for you!

Sorry for the long comment, but I thought this was a good place to provide a little information for thought.

Good Luck & Be safe,

edspilot