car chase scene

teddy

I haven't seen this

before, and it makes me wonder if this kind of flying still goes on with the new technology of remote controlled heli's and camera jibs being more available. What are your opinions of legality on this?

Pretty cool. Flying goes on like that all the time in old & new movies. With old movies, like Dirty Mary Crazy Larry or that old made for TV movie with Larry Hagman, called Deadly Encounter (http://www.rotaryaction.com/pages/dlyenctr.html), or Birds of Prey with David Janssen. And new movies - I watched them shoot some helo night flying through downtown Chgo not too long ago for one of the Batman movies - pretty exciting. I wish I could be in the extra seat when they do that stuff....

I haven't seen this

before, and it makes me wonder if this kind of flying still goes on with the new technology of remote controlled heli's and camera jibs being more available. What are your opinions of legality on this?

OK, since you asked..one view is what it looks like in the camera, the other...well, you'll get the idea.

I fly this stretch of coastline almost every time I am up!! It's a bitch being in LA.

Legal is such a subjective word...I get hammered on VR every time I suggest something might not be quite by the book....so form your own opinions.

You should have seen what was left behind on the editing room floor.

Edited by Goldy
  • Like 1

I get hammered on VR every time I suggest something might not be quite by the book.

Beautiful videos.

It's funny how safety is contextualized, two helicopters crash doing low level maneuvers over fields. One is a crop duster the other a joy rider.

So you can fly abnormally as long as it's for money.

I haven't seen this

I'd say illegal for sure. The car was obviously speeding.

Cool Vids. It's amazing how stupid some of the comments are on the second one.

Karl

OK, since you asked..one view is what it looks like in the camera, the other...well, you'll get the idea.

I fly this stretch of coastline almost every time I am up!! It's a bitch being in LA.

Legal is such a subjective word...I get hammered on VR every time I suggest something might not be quite by the book....so form your own opinions.

You should have seen what was left behind on the editing room floor.

It's funny how safety is contextualized, two helicopters crash doing low level maneuvers over fields. One is a crop duster the other a joy rider.

So you can fly abnormally as long as it's for money.

No, I would say you can fly 'abnormally' or with more risk as long as there is a valid reason. Joy riding isn't a valid reason!

Oh ya and don't forget this video. The helicopter even over takes a car! It was to showcase a gyro stabilized camera system.

Edited by Trans Lift

Yes. And most ag aircraft are restricted catagory. No passengers.

So you can do it without passengers. I'm not seeing how making money is a more valid reason.

Air Wolf saw many crashes and several deaths. Is an Knight Rider spin-off 80's TV show a valid reason.

So you can do it without passengers. I'm not seeing how making money is a more valid reason.

For example, if a crop dusters are not out doing there jobs millions upon millions of dollars of crop may get destroyed by insects, etc. Therefore damaging economies.

If powerline patrol pilots are not out inspecting wires(although there is usually an observer on board) people may go without electricity, etc.

There are loads of examples of where that risk is acceptable, calculated and worth it.

There are loads of examples of where that risk is acceptable, calculated and worth it.

And Air Wolf? Or the space shuttle? Is our economy so delicate that it can only be propped up by ag pilots flying 16 hour days, or is it risk for money.

I'm not just saying ag pilots but as helonorth says, the rules are the rules. Things are the way they are. I guess if you don't like it, you are in the wrong industry.

Flying is risky, certain types even more. I personally don't have the slightest problem with it. It's all part of the game!

Well that didn't take long.

That wasn't necessarily meant towards you Shaun. I was a 'you' as in general. We know the risks of our jobs and choose to accept them or not.

How about flying in bad weather to rescue distressed mariners? Where are you going to draw the line?

Cost Guard is non-profit, and if the new regulations are any indication, the for-profit rescue industry has it's own risk for money issues.

I'm not dictating what people should or shouldn't do in a helicopter, I'm not qualified to make that determination. I am advocating for balanced consideration when someone criticizes the safety of a particular flight, since that seems to be a popular hobby.

Y'all making me laugh again-

"It's funny how safety is contextualized, two helicopters crash doing low level maneuvers over fields. One is a crop duster the other a joy rider.

So you can fly abnormally as long as it's for money."

I have a beard. I shave every morning. I look better afterwards. Therefore- I'm a plastic surgeon. That works as well as comparing risks of a Peter Pilot flat-hatting with those any of the Ag, er- excuse me- "aerial applicator pilots". Seen the job, and the work, and the skills required to work that field. There's no valid comparison between the risks an experienced professional ag guy's unique skills and judgement will routinely handle and the risks Peter Pilot assumes hot dogging.

Edited by Wally

That works as well as comparing a Peter Pilot flat-hatting with any of the Ag, er- excuse me- "aerial applicator pilots" I've worked with.

My point is that one is probably more likely to die doing Ag than flying 300 feet along the coastline. I'm not advocating or condemning either activity.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5315a4.htm

"agricultural pilots are at increased risk for fatal injury compared with pilots in all other industries"

There's no valid comparison between the risks an experienced professional ag guy's unique skills and judgement will routinely handle and the risks Peter Pilot assumes hot dogging.

Airshows could be an example of a professional "hot dogging"

Edited by Shaun

The cars should have been red, and the lead needed a blond woman driver.

Finally, someone gets it right.

Thanks Rick....good seeing you the other day.

Goldy

My point is that one is probably more likely to die doing Ag than flying 300 feet along the coastline. I'm not advocating or condemning either activity.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5315a4.htm

"agricultural pilots are at increased risk for fatal injury compared with pilots in all other industries"

Airshows could be an example of a professional "hot dogging"

I've traveled many a mile at 300 feet agl. I prefer higher when possible.

Yep, airshows are exactly Professional (upper case "P") "hot dogging", in most cases. That's why they happen and they do what they do very carefully.

• 1 month later...